PDA

View Full Version : We are not a great country. But we used to be.

Retread
13-Feb-13, 20:39
I was sent this clip by a friend, it is from the series "Newsroom" and it very much hit home with me. The character is talking about America but it is just as apt for us here in Britian I think. It really is worth a watch .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lquAly1Az00

It describes the way many people feel about their country. I admire America for much and the above clip is not a dig at them, it's just as apt for us here in Great Britian in my view. For many reasons I look around and no wonder what on earth happened to us.

rich62_uk
13-Feb-13, 20:54
I have not seen the clip I am tired however, 'England' is a lost cause and I believe if Scotland is to stand a chance then they should go it alone. There is still hope for them.

ducati
13-Feb-13, 23:20
England a lost cause hey? You don't half see a lot of clap on here. :lol:

piratelassie
14-Feb-13, 00:56
Well said.

I have not seen the clip I am tired however, 'England' is a lost cause and I believe if Scotland is to stand a chance then they should go it alone. There is still hope for them.

rich62_uk
14-Feb-13, 06:54
Certainly do ducati and most of it from your mouth lol. :).

ducati
14-Feb-13, 18:22
That will be why the who knows how many thousands of Scots that live and work in England are returning in droves then? :Razz

rich62_uk
14-Feb-13, 18:58
I know that was a joke ducati but watch this space.

Oddquine
14-Feb-13, 22:53
I was sent this clip by a friend, it is from the series "Newsroom" and it very much hit home with me. The character is talking about America but it is just as apt for us here in Britian I think. It really is worth a watch .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lquAly1Az00

It describes the way many people feel about their country. I admire America for much and the above clip is not a dig at them, it's just as apt for us here in Great Britian in my view. For many reasons I look around and no wonder what on earth happened to us.

The world grew up and decided exploitation wasn't the way to go? And our politicians, for the last few decades at least, haven't a brain among them with which to bless themselves so can't to do anything to compensate for the loss of the Empire.

Like that blokes opinion..who is he....he should be US President....or UK Prime Minister!

Oddquine
14-Feb-13, 23:19

I watched it....and all but the bloke who talked sense, the rest of them did breast-beating, bumming up the USA as it was when they removed the British shackles..as if what was then is what is now.

Not a lot different to the Unionist mantra..."This is our history, even if only 110 or so people in Scotland voted to make it our history......and nothing has changed since 1707. What was is what is always going to be...England in sole charge of the Union, because we outnumber all the rest of you 10 to 1....so what we decide goes...just live with it!"

Any Unionist care to have a go at contadicting my opinion of England's attitude to the "Union"?

ducati
15-Feb-13, 00:53
I watched it....and all but the bloke who talked sense, the rest of them did breast-beating, bumming up the USA as it was when they removed the British shackles..as if what was then is what is now.

Not a lot different to the Unionist mantra..."This is our history, even if only 110 or so people in Scotland voted to make it our history......and nothing has changed since 1707. What was is what is always going to be...England in sole charge of the Union, because we outnumber all the rest of you 10 to 1....so what we decide goes...just live with it!"

Any Unionist care to have a go at contadicting my opinion of England's attitude to the "Union"?

Er Britain's attitude to the Union is varied, I thought we were'nt supposed to be singling out England. You had better have another look at the memo.

Oddquine
15-Feb-13, 01:56
Er Britain's attitude to the Union is varied, I thought we were'nt supposed to be singling out England. You had better have another look at the memo.

England is the Union, unless you can explain how 117 Welsh, NI and Scottish MPs can outvote 533 English ones on anything.

ducati
22-Feb-13, 16:02
England is the Union, unless you can explain how 117 Welsh, NI and Scottish MPs can outvote 533 English ones on anything.

Only just seen this. When have MPs ever voted in a country based block? This sounds paranoid.

Jockaholic
22-Feb-13, 16:47
the country is screwed unless your a banker or mp then your screwing the country

MerlinScot
22-Feb-13, 20:19
England is the Union, unless you can explain how 117 Welsh, NI and Scottish MPs can outvote 533 English ones on anything.Because England has 50 millions of voters and Scotland 5?

Oddquine
23-Feb-13, 03:18
Because England has 50 millions of voters and Scotland 5?

But this is meant to be a Union, which is meant to be a partnership....not a take-over which was little more than an addition to England's reducing hegemony!

Care to explain why you consider that the 55 million voters in one country has the right to dictate the lifestyle and political ethos of another country, regardless of the level of population.....given that, out of that population, only 110 individuals in it voted for the Union....and many of those who did vote for it tried, within seven years to get out of it, but England wouldn't let them.

So where was the partnership?

MerlinScot
23-Feb-13, 17:26
But this is meant to be a Union, which is meant to be a partnership....not a take-over which was little more than an addition to England's reducing hegemony!

Care to explain why you consider that the 55 million voters in one country has the right to dictate the lifestyle and political ethos of another country, regardless of the level of population.....given that, out of that population, only 110 individuals in it voted for the Union....and many of those who did vote for it tried, within seven years to get out of it, but England wouldn't let them.

So where was the partnership?

Because California, New York state and Florida decide who's becoming the president of the United States? More population, more voters, more decisional power.
To be honest, it wouldn't surely be right that a bunch of voters decide for the majority.

The point you're trying to make is odd and it is also anti-democratic.

Oddquine
24-Feb-13, 01:48
Because California, New York state and Florida decide who's becoming the president of the United States? More population, more voters, more decisional power.
To be honest, it wouldn't surely be right that a bunch of voters decide for the majority.

The point you're trying to make is odd and it is also anti-democratic.

No.......anti-democratic is the first past the post system which elects UK (and US Governments, however much they try to dress it up.) I'd have less problem with a Government elected by PR, because then there is a slim chance of the country getting what they vote for, rather than having Governments elected by a minority of the popular vote every five years..which, in my book IS exactly a bunch of voters deciding for the majority.

Since 1885, there have only been three UK Governments which had both 50% + of the popular vote as well as the biggest number of seats...and if it comes to that, there was a couple of elections when the party which did receive the highest level of the popular vote didn't get it in the right places to acquire enough seats to form a Government.

You think that's democracy? Really? It is certainly a voting system a level above dictatorship......but a voting system which offers only a choice of dumb or dumber isn't at that high a level above a dictatorship.