PDA

View Full Version : The SNP – when is separate not separate?

Gronnuck
13-Feb-13, 15:00
Interesting article h (http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/politics/westminster-bans-word-separate-after-snp-complaints-1-2788087#.URrcJ88zJ7k.twitter)ere I noticed the part,”The change took place after SNP Perth and North Perthshire MP Pete Wishart complained about the use of the word “separate” which Nationalists see as pejorative.” So suddenly separation is now negative and derogatory. IMO the prat doth protest too much.

macadamia
13-Feb-13, 15:21
When a country wishes to be independent - and this is the SNP's preferred and oft stated nomenclature for the New Scotland - it really means that this particular country wishes to act with all freedoms in its own right, and with all of its own responsibilities.

When a country wishes to retain HM Queen, the Pound, and a range of benefits accruing from treaties enjoyed in its previous incarnation - that can NOT be seen as "Independent" - merely as "separate".

When Scotland explains (as it will have to do after the referendum - whatever the result, "Yes" or "No") that the actual emergent condition is neither genuine independence OR separation, but a kind of super devo-max, I predict quite a few upset punters on both sides of the fence.

Including me as a taxpayer, who will (like you) end up paying for this pointless ballet of posturing and pontification, orchestrated by the biggest "Diva Max" of all time - The Buffoon of Brigadoon.

Phill
13-Feb-13, 15:59
......... that the actual emergent condition is neither genuine independence OR separation, but a kind of super devo-max, I predict quite a few upset punters on both sides of the fence.

Quite.
Should the outcome of the referendum be a Yes I do think there will be many who will not be happy at just how little independence they will actually have, and there is a load more watering down to be done yet.
I would bet, a better option would be to take devo max now.

MerlinScot
13-Feb-13, 17:02
I only wish they won't waste any more time in conjuring the question of the actual referendum...Do you want Scotland to be independent? Yes / No. The end.Is that so difficult?If Yes, Scotland becomes a country like Sweden, Finland, Italy, France, etc etc!! I don't really understand why they're making a fuss out of it.... Only to convince voters that independence is a whole lot of advantages at any costs? There's no such a thing, everything has pros and cons.

Rheghead
13-Feb-13, 19:53
Reminds me of a teenager that wants all the benefits of an independent life but still takes his washing back home to his mum.

ywindythesecond
13-Feb-13, 19:57
Reminds me of a teenager that wants all the benefits of an independent life but still takes his washing back home to his mum.
That just about sums it up Reggy, well said!!

MerlinScot
13-Feb-13, 23:25

It is a pity we don't have the smile applauding on this forum... well said!! :)