PDA

View Full Version : And yet again.

piratelassie
11-Feb-13, 21:01
Once again Britain was referred to as England on TV today. I know some people will say ,here she goes again, but I genuinely believe this ignorance should be addressed. The caller was from Holland, which shows that Britain is seen as England to some even abroad.

Phill
11-Feb-13, 21:12
Sadly very much so, by many. But on the other hand some see Scotland as being so separate they ask what is the dialing code from Scotland to England.

If you think about it a little it's not actually that bad in a way. Many foreigners associate England & Britain, but Scotland is Scotland!

Effectively your calling for Scotland to be recognised as being part of the Union! :eek:

catran
11-Feb-13, 21:17
Once again Britain was referred to as England on TV today. I know some people will say ,here she goes again, but I genuinely believe this ignorance should be addressed. The caller was from Holland, which shows that Britain is seen as England to some even abroad. \

In Caithness and sutherland it is all English accents so maybe that is the reason why.

Thonord
11-Feb-13, 21:43
On behalf of us ignorant foreigners, I must appologise - but only slightly. You see, you are yourselves at the root of the problem. You are too bloody polite.

I have visited the UK and Ireland a number of times. My first visit to England was actually in 1957. Anyhoo, it was first during my second or third visit to Wales (1980'ish), one late evening at a favorite Pub, that I was enlightened: "Tom, we really don't like it when you call us English. We're like the Scots and the Irish - we hate the English! To be sure, just call anybody speaking English - British. Anyone not British will let you know straight away. They neither have have any manners nor will they be offended."

Tom

MerlinScot
11-Feb-13, 22:21
...which shows that Britain is seen as England to some even abroad.

To all, I should say. I never made any difference between Scotland, meant as a state, and England before actually setting foot here... If you think that my aunt (who's now 86) still thinks Scotland is that part of England where men wear skirts LOL

You shouldn't say anything actually piratelassie... relax, to each his own... stereotypes....

equusdriving
11-Feb-13, 22:39
Once again Britain was referred to as England on TV today. I know some people will say ,here she goes again, but I genuinely believe this ignorance should be addressed. The caller was from Holland, which shows that Britain is seen as England to some even abroad.

you are very lucky, you obviously don't have any real problems or worries in your life, if the fact that someone from Holland thinks Britain is England causes you so much concern, and just out of curiosity how do you propose to address this foreign ignorance?

Flynn
11-Feb-13, 22:46

Actually it's the Netherlands. Holland is the western region of the Netherlands. So you are as guilty of ignorance as they are.

equusdriving
11-Feb-13, 22:54
Actually it's the Netherlands. Holland is the western region of the Netherlands. So you are as guilty of ignorance as they are.
oh dear :lol:

Rheghead
11-Feb-13, 22:58

Perhaps the caller was from the western region of the Netherlands?

squidge
12-Feb-13, 00:08
Well it seems that the eminent minds who produced todays report agree with the caller from the Netherlands. The report said that in 1707 Scotland ceased to exist "as a matter of international law England continued, albeit under a new name and regardless of the position in domestic law, and was simply enlarged to incorporate Scotland." They go on to say "Whether or not England was also extinguished by the union, Scotland certainly was extinguished as a matter of international law, by merger either into an enlarged and renamed England or into an entirely new state." So it appears that Scotland does not exist and therefore should the yes vote be successful then it would start as an entirely new state with no rights to a share of the assets of the United Kingdom.

This is terrible you might think, what a dreadful blow!!! No assets, no share of the military, nothing, however if Scotland is not entitled to the assets then it is not responsible for the debts. Cant have one without the other apparently according to some other eminent people.

So where does that leave us? Well without about 120 billion pounds in debt and about 4 billion pounds a year better off with no debt repayments. Debt free. Completely new state? No assets and no debt? Think we might get to keep. AAA credit rating then.

Not sure what is happening really. Maybe the government got it wrong in their rush to make things look difficult to put people off Independence although professor Crawford said Scotland would negotiate its membership of the EU from within the EU. He also said that It would be straightforward for or Scotland to join all the things they need to join.... that was their actual word ... so not so difficult after all. The alternative is that Scotland will be a country with lots of resources and no debt.

Can you hear the sound of tearing paper and loos being flushed as we speak.

Kenn
12-Feb-13, 00:33
What does it matter in the whole of things?
A Scot knows he/she is a scot and is usually very proud of the fact.
Millions all over the world come here as they know it is a beautifull country or they have ancestral connections.
Yes there are alot of non scots who live here and they have come by choice, I and my husband are two, but we have friends who speak the local dialect and we love to hear it.
AND whilst we are on the subject there is NO such thing as an african. Africa is a continent made up of many peoples and how many folk appreciate that fact?

Dadie
12-Feb-13, 00:49
Football hooligans....English football....there is Scottish and the tartan army etc....(their behaviour I dont condone at times) but to be lumped with football hooligans (english etc)looking for a fight is abhorrent to me!

luskentyre
12-Feb-13, 01:29
\

In Caithness and sutherland it is all English accents so maybe that is the reason why.

I'm guessing you don't get out much? Where on earth did you draw that wildly incorrect conclusion from?

Thonord
12-Feb-13, 01:48
What does it matter in the whole of things?
AND whilst we are on the subject there is NO such thing as an african. Africa is a continent made up of many peoples and how many folk appreciate that fact?

This has got to be a Scottish peculiarity.
Interesting! I need to now such, as not to make a fool of self, while visiting you lot.
Europe is also a continent made up of many people, yet there is such a thing as an european. I know this for a fact. I am one. There are also american, asian and australian - but New Zealanders are definitly not australian? Hmm - maybe it makes sence anyway?
Mexicans are not americans - canadians are not americans, but both are north americans even though north america is a continent.

No wonder foreigners call you english, and me Sweede.

ducati
12-Feb-13, 08:44
This has got to be a Scottish peculiarity.
Interesting! I need to now such, as not to make a fool of self, while visiting you lot.
Europe is also a continent made up of many people, yet there is such a thing as an european. I know this for a fact. I am one. There are also american, asian and australian - but New Zealanders are definitly not australian? Hmm - maybe it makes sence anyway?
Mexicans are not americans - canadians are not americans, but both are north americans even though north america is a continent.

No wonder foreigners call you english, and me Sweede.

You may have reasoned this already, but there are a number of catagories here. Locals, incomers :mad: and some of both that are utterly barking! :lol:

Flynn
12-Feb-13, 08:58
Perhaps the caller was from the western region of the Netherlands?

And perhaps they were referring to England.

Gronnuck
12-Feb-13, 10:18

Well said Flynn
It's time we addressed Piratelassie's genuine ignorance. Having lived and worked in Zuid Limburg I can assure her that much of the wider population of The Netherlands were not happy when their home was being referred to as 'Holland.'

golach
12-Feb-13, 10:25
Well said Flynn
It's time we addressed Piratelassie's genuine ignorance. Having lived and worked in Zuid Limburg I can assure her that much of the wider population of The Netherlands were not happy when their home was being referred to as 'Holland.'

I totally agree, I have friends who live in Deventer, and they quickly taught me that they were from the Netherlands not Holland

Flynn
12-Feb-13, 10:27
Don't anyone show Piratelassie Google Maps. Scotland isn't shown at all, we are shown as the United Kingdom. No Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, or Wales. Oh the horror! :lol:

MerlinScot
12-Feb-13, 12:00
Don't anyone show Piratelassie Google Maps. Scotland isn't shown at all, we are shown as the United Kingdom. No Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, or Wales. Oh the horror! :lol:Oh my God, horrible!! :lol:

rob murray
12-Feb-13, 12:49
\

Hey min, far did ye get at dirt fye ?

piratelassie
12-Feb-13, 15:57
The caller I refer to said he was calling from HOLLAND.

MerlinScot
12-Feb-13, 16:01
Well it seems that the eminent minds who produced todays report agree with the caller from the Netherlands. The report said that in 1707 Scotland ceased to exist "as a matter of international law England continued, albeit under a new name and regardless of the position in domestic law, and was simply enlarged to incorporate Scotland." They go on to say "Whether or not England was also extinguished by the union, Scotland certainly was extinguished as a matter of international law, by merger either into an enlarged and renamed England or into an entirely new state." So it appears that Scotland does not exist and therefore should the yes vote be successful then it would start as an entirely new state with no rights to a share of the assets of the United Kingdom.

This is terrible you might think, what a dreadful blow!!! No assets, no share of the military, nothing, however if Scotland is not entitled to the assets then it is not responsible for the debts. Cant have one without the other apparently according to some other eminent people.

So where does that leave us? Well without about 120 billion pounds in debt and about 4 billion pounds a year better off with no debt repayments. Debt free. Completely new state? No assets and no debt? Think we might get to keep. AAA credit rating then.

Not sure what is happening really. Maybe the government got it wrong in their rush to make things look difficult to put people off Independence although professor Crawford said Scotland would negotiate its membership of the EU from within the EU. He also said that It would be straightforward for or Scotland to join all the things they need to join.... that was their actual word ... so not so difficult after all. The alternative is that Scotland will be a country with lots of resources and no debt.

Squidge, did you read the web-chat done by Salmond on gransnet?

ducati
12-Feb-13, 17:32

So the people waiting for a pension payment, housing benefit payment, JSA payment, public sector pay cheque etc. the day after independence, where will this money come from? We had better organise a line of credit pronto don't you think? I think you will find we stay debt free for about 8 seconds. :eek:

George Brims
12-Feb-13, 19:22

Well I don't know who produced this report, but my Encyclopedia Britannica says the exact opposite: "Constitutionally, England does not exist". It then goes on to explain this is because England is ruled only by the Westminster (British) parliament, whereas Scotland, Wales and N Ireland all have varying segments of devolved government. My edition pre-dates the current Welsh Assembly, Scottish Parliament etc. In their interpretation England is not a country; it is an area of the United Kingdom.

George Brims
12-Feb-13, 19:25
The caller I refer to said he was calling from HOLLAND.
The people of Holland tend to call their whole country Holland just the same as English people will refer to the Queen as the Queen of England and so on. The other Dutch people are not quite as ticked off with it as we other British peolpe get with the English, but they aren't exactly chuffed either.