PDA

View Full Version : Children

cherokee
09-Feb-13, 17:31
I am always amazed, by reading magazines, at how the "Celebs" seem to have difficulty at raising any more than one child !! :eek:

When I was young (yeah, yeah; albeit a long time ago !) I recall my Mother telling me about a family of 12 bairns. The Mother would make dinner and shout on her youngsters to come in for same...if she got a head count of 12 then that was fine...whose kids they were, or even if they were her own children, didn't matter - she had the correct number of bodies around the table !!

I read in tabloids about people who have one child and may be expecting another along with the words " they are going to find it very difficult" !!

Good grief, pull yourselves together and get on with it !

Yes, it's really good that nowadays people have the help from their immediate families along with disposable nappies/washing machines/intercom for babies; but how on earth did the same families manage years ago with a family of ten+, without such devices !! :eek: :eek:

secrets in symmetry
09-Feb-13, 17:34
I am always amazed, by reading magazines, at how the "Celebs" seem to have difficulty at raising any more than one child !! :eek:

When I was young (yeah, yeah; albeit a long time ago !) I recall my Mother telling me about a family of 12 bairns. The Mother would make dinner and shout on her youngsters to come in for same...if she got a head count of 12 then that was fine...whose kids they were, or even if they were her own children, didn't matter - she had the correct number of bodies around the table !!

I read in tabloids about people who have one child and may be expecting another along with the words " they are going to find it very difficult" !!

Good grief, pull yourselves together and get on with it !

Yes, it's really good that nowadays people have the help from their immediate families along with disposable nappies/washing machines/intercom for babies; but how on earth did the same families manage years ago with a family of ten+, without such devices !! :eek: :eek:Grandparents and other family members lived close by. Most women didn't work. The older children helped with the younger ones. Neighbours helped. Children were left on their own more. Etc, ....

cherokee
09-Feb-13, 17:48
I completley see where you're coming from SIS and I appreciate your input.

It just amazes me, still, that "celeb" families find a need to make a massive "hoo-hah" about the fact that they are now expecting their second/third child and wondering how on earth they will cope !

sids
09-Feb-13, 18:00
I completley see where you're coming from SIS and I appreciate your input.

It just amazes me, still, that "celeb" families find a need to make a massive "hoo-hah" about the fact that they are now expecting their second/third child and wondering how on earth they will cope !

Because celebs without "hoo-hah" would just be people.

squidge
09-Feb-13, 18:23
I dont think its peculiar to celebrities. Doesnt Everyone wonder how they will cope when they have a baby. I have five, I remember absolutely wondering how in esrth i was going to manage with two just fifteen months apart. I didnt worry about number three cos the oldest two were at school but I did worry about how I would manage when I went back to work. When I came to have number four I was 43 and worried I wouldnt have enough energy or that starting again would be too much. My last child is now three and I was 45 when she was born. I worried about my age but I needn't have done. I am sure that mums of 10 or 12 worried too although perhaps ny the time they got to six or seven they were so used to it that they didnt. Life has a way of working out.

secrets in symmetry
09-Feb-13, 18:25
Because celebs without "hoo-hah" would just be people.Yes, that too. :cool:

ducati
09-Feb-13, 18:29
At least the celeebs can probably afford the children. In the times when people had a dozen or more of course, about half of them died. As they do today in many parts of the world.

Phill
09-Feb-13, 20:00
Firstly 'celebs' generally appear to be incapable of doing anything outside of making an arse of themselves in magazines or on 'reality' tellybox programs, secondly the magazines and tabloids just write whatever crap they feel like thus rendering and 'celeb' opinions / concerns even less valid.

Try not reading tabloids and trashy magazines and you may find 'celebrity' inadequacy less of an issue.

_Ju_
09-Feb-13, 22:53
Yes, it's really good that nowadays people have the help from their immediate families along with disposable nappies/washing machines/intercom for babies; but how on earth did the same families manage years ago with a family of ten+, without such devices !! :eek: :eek:
You are so right! My grandmother, for example raised 12 children(Please note ironic undertones) . They grew up into adulthood and spread all over the world. She gave birth to 16 babies, though.
You forget that what was ok for children 60 years ago would be considered abuse now. Children had to start contributing to the family economics with work at very early ages and were often malnourished and without basic clean clothing.My father, as one of the youngest, was mostly in the care of his older siblings as a baby and toddler- there is how many very large families coped. You do not need to worry about washing nappies if you have older children to do it ( Older does not mean age 16, 12 or even double digits, by the way).

DMFB
10-Feb-13, 20:57
:eek: :eek:

That my dear person was my mother.We were originally fourteen! It was the same at bedtime.As long as when she called us in she bedded twelve children it was job done. We remember one night a neighbour coming to see if one of her children was in our house and sure enough there he was in the bed beside us not daring to complain ,my brother was still out missing enjoying his moment of freedom. Those were the days. We were never bored either.