PDA

View Full Version : The North Base

ss.sv650
08-Feb-13, 20:52
Got letter through the box telling us about this yesterday, says they are in the planning stage, then the planning app is in the paper giving us 14 days to raise an objection seems like they are well into the planning stage !!

One concern and question for you tho, traffic, this is a quiet rural community on a single track road, we have not been approached or asked for our concerns do you not think an open meeting in Murkle hall before it got to this stage would have been a good idea ?

Dont get me wrong this seems a good idea but why out in the middle of nowhere where every one is going to have to drive to it and swamp this tiny road surly town center or close to it would have made more sense

starfish
08-Feb-13, 20:58
what are they planning

Alrock
08-Feb-13, 21:01
"The North Base"?????

Care to enlighten those of us who have no idea what you are talking about?

ss.sv650
08-Feb-13, 21:04
arts , craft, indoor skate area, surf, and cafe we belive not seen the planning app just been told about it !!

ss.sv650
08-Feb-13, 21:13
[QUOTE=Alrock;1006559]"The North Base"?????

Care to enlighten those of us who have no idea what you are talking about?[/QUOTE

sorry converting the old us base at Murkle

Gronnuck
08-Feb-13, 21:27
Details are at http://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=MGV5GFIH7R000 It looks as if someone wants to create artists studios, workshops, cafe, gallery and a skatepark.

ss.sv650
08-Feb-13, 21:51
yea the planning app looks strange, they are suggesting a total of 25,000 visiters per year with parking for 25 cars!! Supplying free bikes to and from the main road, good luck there with 25,000 people driving up and down it.

Encouraged to use routes/transport that is not cars, how else are folk going to get there then in this day and age when most folk just take jumpin in the car for granted and its out of town.

They are suggesting the costal path but my guess is that few will take that option, could the road from Thurso east be developed as this would have less impact on the narrow road up to the base.

Shaggy
08-Feb-13, 22:15
artists etc i can see but a skate park? somehow i dont think many artists will be keen on working there with the noise

norsefisherman
09-Feb-13, 10:02
When the Base was in use there were three shifts of workers, delivery vehicles, and contractors using the road 365 days of the year, i thought Thurso would look favorably on people who may end up employing a few folk.

bunnies&chicks
09-Feb-13, 12:27
Jobs for local people...thats great :-)

Kodiak
09-Feb-13, 12:32
This sounds very interesting indeed, Artists Studios/ Workshops, Cafe, Gallery and Skate Park. I am sure there would be quite a few Artists in Thurso who would be interested in this.

Personally I think this is a great Idea as it could turn out to be a good tourist attraction and bring in some money to the county.

Dog-eared
09-Feb-13, 14:41
There's a great view from up there !

starfish
09-Feb-13, 15:01
if managed properly it will be a great for the county more jobs and more money coming into it