PDA

View Full Version : Delivery charges

footie chick
03-Jan-07, 00:12
Trying to get a fridge/freezer in the Currys sale (they dont deliver this high up!) 5 years ago I got a TV from them and they delivered free! [disgust] Camera is broken tried to order a new one and guess what they stick another £5.00 on the delivery price because we live so far north!

We do have roads up here !!

It really makes me angry all I can say is thank goodness we have VERY helpful local couriers. Sorry rant over feel a wee bit better now

Sporran
03-Jan-07, 06:45
Maybe you won't feel so bad, footie chick, when I tell you that we got charged $45 (about 23 quid) for delivery of a fridge/freezer, this past month. And the store is just a couple of miles from our house! :roll:

j4bberw0ck
03-Jan-07, 09:17
I understand the frustration, but are you suggesting that retailers should be compelled to arrange delivery this far north, and presumably at the same price as elsewhere?

footie chick
03-Jan-07, 10:22
I understand the frustration, but are you suggesting that retailers should be compelled to arrange delivery this far north, and presumably at the same price as elsewhere?

No what I'm not happy with is they used to deliver, as for the camera it's being posted so the price of a stamp is the same nationwide is it not?

MadPict
03-Jan-07, 10:30
I know this was raised before in a similar thread but isn't it due to the postcode? Does Caithness have the same postcode as Kirkwall (KW) and is therefore classed as not on the mainland?

burstbucker
03-Jan-07, 10:49
I bought a tv from Curry's Inverness that was faulty when I got home. They told me if I bought it from the internet they would have picked it up at their expence. I had to take it back to Inverness and I demanded a refund when I got there. I will not buy from them again.

emszxr
03-Jan-07, 10:58
when did they stop doing deliveries up here. i used to deliver for them.
if its still same manager, neil, he is really good i find.
i usually always buy from currys, comet now, dont even get me started on them.

Cattach
03-Jan-07, 11:31

Srewfix have started charging an extra £6 for carriage to remoted areas on the mainland, not just KW, despite the fact that I am told by the carrier that most items go for no extra charge with them and if there is an extra cost it is nothing like six pounds more. Seems like another company jumping on the bandwagon.

I no longer buy from companies charging extra unless I absolutely have to. Can usually find good companies selling competitively and not charging extra.

Some companies charge extra for an item to the north even though it comes by the Postal Service - now where is the justification for that!?

Angela
03-Jan-07, 11:48
Until recently I was working for a book wholesaler based in the Central Belt that sold books to shops, including shops in tourist attractions - castles and so on - throughout the UK. The carriers charged us extra to deliver to anywhere "highland" as they saw it - but not to deliver to the south of England! - and being a smallish company we had to pass on the increased charge to customers.
We did change carriers, to get cheaper delivery, but they were all the same in that "highland" as well as "island" customers were penalised.[disgust]

garycs
03-Jan-07, 11:56
Srewfix have started charging an extra £6 for carriage to remoted areas on the mainland, not just KW, despite the fact that I am told by the carrier that most items go for no extra charge with them and if there is an extra cost it is nothing like six pounds more. Seems like another company jumping on the bandwagon.

I no longer buy from companies charging extra unless I absolutely have to. Can usually find good companies selling competitively and not charging extra.

Some companies charge extra for an item to the north even though it comes by the Postal Service - now where is the justification for that!?

Being charged extra when the retailer sends by Royal Mail is something that really annoys me, it has happened to me three times and I did manage to get a refund each time, but only after a lot of hassle!

When I sell stuff on Ebay I make a point of saying no surcharge for delivery south of Inverness :)

Tristan
03-Jan-07, 12:28
What really annoys me is companies that advertise free mainland delivery and then say but not to the highlands and islands in the small print.

porshiepoo
03-Jan-07, 13:17
I just got a great deal on a dishwasher over the net from Comet. The price was already great and it included delivery - to be delivered Monday Yay!!!!!!!!

dozerboy
03-Jan-07, 14:00
What really annoys me is companies that advertise free mainland delivery and then say but not to the highlands and islands in the small print.

I agree this is really annoying, and I'm sure goes against trading standards. People south of Hadrian's wall have no idea where Caithness is, and I get the feeling they don't really care either.

Items put in the post should be the same price nationwide.

If you call Screwfix rather than order on-line, you can usually get them to waive the delivery charge.

Other companies have to charge more because of the extra mileage, and Caithness is sometimes lumped together with Orkney as being offshore / remote.

I believe though that Orkney sometimes get things delivered easier and cheaper because they are shipped from Aberdeen in a bulk container or a full lorry load which makes it cheaper. Rather than 10 different lorries all trundling to Caithness with your new dish washer etc..

veekay
03-Jan-07, 14:19
I bought a tv from Curry's Inverness that was faulty when I got home. They told me if I bought it from the internet they would have picked it up at their expence. I had to take it back to Inverness and I demanded a refund when I got there. I will not buy from them again.
Same thing with me Our television broke and was still covered by manufacturers warrenty. We ended up taking it back to Inverness where we were told we could have a like for like replacement - of course there wasn't one - so we either had to pay the extra or lose money when we asked about refunding our travel expenses ( well you have to try don't you) we were told we shouldn't live so far away!

Needless to say we won't be going back either

j4bberw0ck
03-Jan-07, 17:12
I'm sure goes against trading standards. People south of Hadrian's wall have no idea where Caithness is, and I get the feeling they don't really care either.

I dare say people's ignorance isn't confined only to England. Wonder how many in Caithness could accurately put a pin in a map for, say, Mousehole in Cornwall?

Anyway, to your main point; Trading Standards are only interested if someone misleads. If a company wants to charge extra to deliver here, it's your right not to use them, and it's the risk they run. Usually it's because of their transit insurance arrangements, or because the courier service charges more.

Items put in the post should be the same price nationwide.If its a package covered by the Royal Mail's universal service obligation, it is. If it's Parcel Force, or a courier, it isn't. They're simply passing on their (increased) costs for getting things to this remote location.

If you call Screwfix rather than order on-line, you can usually get them to waive the delivery charge.That's got to be worth a try - thanks!

I believe though that Orkney sometimes get things delivered easier and cheaper because they are shipped from Aberdeen in a bulk container or a full lorry load which makes it cheaper. Rather than 10 different lorries all trundling to Caithness with your new dish washer etc..Well, yes and no; some companies will deliver free on the mainland. Get goods delivered to dockside at Aberdeen and they're brought over by say Streamline (at a charge).

No what I'm not happy with is they used to deliver, as for the camera it's being posted so the price of a stamp is the same nationwide is it not?

With some goods they don't deliver up here because (say) a fridge freezer will be a two person lift so two people are paid a day's wage to run a van for a day. That's a large chunk of what the item's worth and certainly more than they'll make in profit. They can't rely on old Joe next door to help unload because of Health and Safety regs and their Third Party Liability insurance.

The answer is clear - buy local, and see what discount / freebies you can get for cash. Haggle!

Or pay the delivery charges, and accept the hassle when something goes wrong. Or move.........:eek:

j4bberw0ck
03-Jan-07, 17:19
we either had to pay the extra or lose money when we asked about refunding our travel expenses ( well you have to try don't you) we were told we shouldn't live so far away! Needless to say we won't be going back either

It's reasonable that you should pay extra for something better. As for travel costs if goods are defective, threaten with action through the Small Claims Court (see this page (http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/n6w/scotland/your_rights/legal_system_scotland/small_claims_in_the_sheriff_court_scotland.htm)) and actually take the trouble to follow through; it's not terribly difficult. They rely on people not being bothered - the first reaction when the papers hit the store will be likely be panic and they'll want to settle with you. The Sheriff's Court will see it as cut and dried if you can show the goods were defective; if you suffer consequential loss because the retailer didn't meet his obligation to you, he's liable. Full stop, no negotiation.