PDA

View Full Version : Could you save a life

EOS
07-Feb-13, 21:01
Would you intervene if somebody collapsed in the street, could you perform first aid
or would you stand back and wait for someone else to step in.

changilass
07-Feb-13, 21:06
Yup, that was part of the point in doing a first aid course.

billmoseley
07-Feb-13, 21:23
yes i can and would. would any one really just stand and watch i think not but hey i could be wrong. surely doing something is better than doing nothing.

sids
07-Feb-13, 22:00
Is anybody looking?

ducati
07-Feb-13, 22:16
Is anybody looking?

Why? Do you like his watch? :)

cptdodger
07-Feb-13, 22:48
I can and I did, in my case it was a shop. However in hindsight, for the sake of his family I wish I had'nt. But at the time, you do everything you can for the person, you do'nt have time to think.

sids
07-Feb-13, 22:50
Why? Do you like his watch? :)

Wouldn't take long to remove any constrictions from his pockets.

Or it could be a her.

EOS
07-Feb-13, 23:19
yes i can and would. would any one really just stand and watch i think not but hey i could be wrong. surely doing something is better than doing nothing.

I'm afraid it seems so research has revealed 24% of people would do nothing and wait for someone to step in
59% of people said they would not be confident enough to do anything.

Dadie
08-Feb-13, 00:06
Have put someone in the recovery position and phoned 999...epileptic fit in the pedestrian precinct.
Turned one of my kids upside down and slapped their back after choking on a 10p ....you know the turning blue stage...spat it out ...end of drama!
But absolutely hopeless with blood....cant cope with blood and panic ....could do with a refresher on CPR as the ratio to breaths to compressions changes periodically....as well as the new just compression thing out now!

joxville
08-Feb-13, 03:28
I've been a trained first aider for over ten years but never had to use it, thankfully, but having the knowledge is a great help otherwise I don't know what I'd do if untrained.

@ Dadie I was taught initially to give 15 compressions and 2 rescue breaths, however on my last course it had been changed to 30 compressions and 2 rescue breaths, the feeling amongst professionals being that the compressions are more worthwhile. And in case anyone hasn't seen the advert, to keep time with each compression, do it to the tune of Stayin' Alive.

poppett
08-Feb-13, 20:05
At the risk of showing my age here I was taught to do compressions to the tune of Nellie the Elephant!

I certainly wouldn`t stand back if I could save a life.

bunnies&chicks
09-Feb-13, 12:32
I'm afraid it seems so research has revealed 24% of people would do nothing and wait for someone to step in
59% of people said they would not be confident enough to do anything.

.......except record it on their mobile and stick it on youtube! :-( Certainly where I live at present