PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Moon Halo

Geo
02-Jan-07, 22:18
Get outside now! Huge halo around the moon. Lovely.

hails4
02-Jan-07, 22:23
Been out had a look, its amazin. does anyone know why this is???.

justine
02-Jan-07, 22:31
Am new to this game and the first time that i have read this site and yes what a cool moon, pity we dont more of them.justine,colin

percy toboggan
02-Jan-07, 22:35
Steve Earle sings a great song - 'Halo Around the Moon' so sorry I'm missing it tonight. Thick cloud over Mancunia anyway.

l/m

fred
02-Jan-07, 22:38

It is amazing.

When I was out earlier it was two lines across the sky running north to south and converging towards the south.

Must keep an eye on it and see what it does next.

DarkAngel
02-Jan-07, 22:39
Just had a peep out the window..Didnt see that much really think it must have faded a bit either that or it maybe a little clousy out here in the countryside!!:(

buggyracer
02-Jan-07, 22:40
here is a pic, it doesnt do it justice but you can just make out the halo on the outside of the photo.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d108/buggyracer/IMG_0284.jpg

Geo
02-Jan-07, 22:40
It's caused by ice crystals in very high fine cloud. The light from the moon then refracts through the ice crystals forming the halo.

I'm clever me. Actually I looked it up. :)

Tristan
02-Jan-07, 22:52
Nice to see...too bad about the clouds. Saw one a number of years ago on a clear night....fantastic. Nice to see one again.

DarkAngel
02-Jan-07, 22:58
Nice picture Buggyracer! Thanx for that you can see the "halo" in the pic!

Jeemag_USA
02-Jan-07, 23:00
Awesome picture, thanks. Maybe its the hole in the ozone, just kidding ;)

_Ju_
02-Jan-07, 23:07

Humidity and particles (ie:dust) in the atmosphere create refraction of the light

Froggie
02-Jan-07, 23:08
It's caused by ice crystals in very high fine cloud. The light from the moon then refracts through the ice crystals forming the halo.

I'm clever me. Actually I looked it up. :)
The sky looks lovely and peaceful, but a bit eerie!!!!
I was always told that it is a sign of bad weather to come, but I hope not!!!
Happy New Year to all!!!

neepnipper
02-Jan-07, 23:09
I saw it earlier, amazing. The halo looked like the the opening of a tunnel with the moon at the other end as the light at the end of the tunnel!

Vivid imagination!

highlander
02-Jan-07, 23:20
This is what the moon was like through the day, i thought it looked so beautiful
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f397/highlander1959/2ndjan2007x2032.jpg

DarkAngel
02-Jan-07, 23:36
That moon is lovely highlander..

dirdyweeker
02-Jan-07, 23:39
Yes, saw the halo round the moon very clearly about an hour ago driving in the road past Tescos. I wondered what it was. I was brought up to believe that a ring round the moon was a sign of bad weather. Did Tugmistress not say we would have gales or bad weather on the 2nd January?

Kenn
02-Jan-07, 23:45
Had a beauty here earlier this evening but alot closer in that that shown on the picture here.
As regards bad weather, the old saying is,
"The closer the halo, the nearer the storm."
Looks like we could all have rain on the way but think you will be waiting a few hours longer than me.

George Brims
04-Jan-07, 01:09
Once when I was wee there was a spectacular halo around the moon, and my mum said it was a sign of bad weather coming. My dad mocked her for her old wife's tale. She reminded him of this the following day, for the whole of the half hour it took him to dig his way out of the house (the big shovel was out in the shed so he had to use a wee coal shovel, and throw the snow out the bathroom window!). There was so much snow I was able to walk onto the roof of our (single-storey) house. And no school for days!