PDA

View Full Version : No Disabled Parking - Trail St, Thurso

Kodiak
02-Feb-13, 19:15
Since yesterday and for some time I was told today, there will be no Disabled Parking in Trail Street, Thurso. The reason is due to a Big JCB Machine being Parked in the two Disabled Parking Bays. I was told by a Local Shopkeeper that Workmen need the Disabled Bays to use this Machine and to park it there when they are not using it.

There are not enough Disabled Parking as it is and now there are two less Parking Bays until they decide to move on.

http://i49.tinypic.com/vhw8xu.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/ir6l8h.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/o0z2xg.jpg

Garnet
02-Feb-13, 19:40
We'' why not!.....just about everone else who does not have a blue badge parks in them and sometimes those with a family member who is entitled 'but' is not present also parks illegally, however it is bieng brought up in parliament to make it a more serious 'crime', my sympathy lies with the disabled and not the incosiderate lazy able bodied. so where's the traffic warden and is the JCB entitled to park there, did it get permission and by whom? Oh what am I saying of course there's no other parking space to use!!!! One of the worst places to go to is the Co-op in Wick right beside the ATM!!

sids
02-Feb-13, 20:06
One of the worst places to go to is the Co-op in Wick right beside the ATM!!

I've never seen it full.

joxville
02-Feb-13, 21:51
It's not a JCB, it's a MEWP, (mobile elevated working platform), for which I have a licence. Pay my fuel bill and I'll come and move it for you :-)

MrChow
02-Feb-13, 22:08
Dont see why the pavement needs to be fenced off either.

secrets in symmetry
02-Feb-13, 23:01
Good points Kodiak. I don't know why the pavement needs to be fenced off either.

Spongeboab
03-Feb-13, 01:24
Good points Kodiak. I don't know why the pavement needs to be fenced off either.

presumably because they've left a half arsed job up above and don't want it to bop someone on the head

dx100uk
03-Feb-13, 02:01
One of the worst places to go to is the Co-op in Wick right beside the ATM!!

as that is a private carpark, any bay marking or signs are purely graffitti and are not covered by any statute in law.
same as BB's on private land, they mean nothing & give the holder no special privs...

dx

Hoida
03-Feb-13, 13:52
Disabled Parking in Thurso is becoming a joke. Must say I have never been able to park in the one in Traill Street and very often if you look, not a blue badge in sight! I can walk short distances but with the disabled bays at the coop usually taken and again the one in front of Harrolds butchers always full it is becoming a nightmare. Fortunately no problem at Lidl or Tesco. As for the pavement being closed off that is just another nightmare, you have to cross over then cross back again to get to Sutherlands chemist.Can't be good for business at Sutherlands!

mi16
03-Feb-13, 14:17
You can of course park in the non disabled bays.

sam09
03-Feb-13, 14:17
Unless the operators using these machines have applied and been granted a temporary a temporary suspension order, they are committing an offense by using these parking bays.

changilass
03-Feb-13, 14:29
You can of course park in the non disabled bays.

It is much harder for disabled folks to get in and out of their vehicles, hence the reason disabled bays are wider.

mi16
03-Feb-13, 14:29
Unless the operators using these machines have applied and been granted a temporary a temporary suspension order, they are committing an offense by using these parking bays.There is only one machine.I could be wrong but I reckon it's use will be cleared by the authorities.

sam09
03-Feb-13, 14:33
There is only one machine.I could be wrong but I reckon it's use will be cleared by the authorities.

Cleared by the authorities is not good enough. The correct permission must be applied for, using the correct planning laws. Giving people the right to object.

mi16
03-Feb-13, 14:37
Cleared by the authorities is not good enough. The correct permission must be applied for, using the correct planning laws. Giving people the right to object.Well, of you believe criminal activity is going on here then I suggest the police is your best bet

sam09
03-Feb-13, 14:50
Believe me mi16, if I lived in Thursa I would. This is just another example of Disabled peoples needs being trampled on. I am not disabled but I feel that we all must respect disabled peoples needs.

series2A
03-Feb-13, 15:01
They would need permission from the highway department or police.
When working they would need to barrier off a safe area which would include the pavement, But if it needed to be barriered off when work is not in progress depends on the state of the work at the end of the day, But considering it would have to left in a safe state then I would think the pavement would be able to be opened.
The mewp would also need the apropriate insurance and road tax as it's on the highway.
The operator would not only need to be passed on that type of boom mewp but also a full driving licence as its on the highway.
Also looking at the pictures I would have though due to the fact that the boom could swing into traffic lanes the barrier area is not big enough and therefore would even require traffic control.
Also due to the fact the mewp has no lights or reflectors there should be warning lights/beacons around the barriers at night or poor visibilty.

mi16
03-Feb-13, 15:05
Believe me mi16, if I lived in Thursa I would. This is just another example of Disabled peoples needs being trampled on. I am not disabled but I feel that we all must respect disabled peoples needs.You don't need to live in the town to report a crime

joxville
03-Feb-13, 15:56
You know what I think? Well I'll tell you. You're all a bunch of whingers. People complain about red tape etc., and old folk always say, 'In my day...blah, blah, blah..we just got on with it'. And now because there is some work going on, whether permission to park is granted or not, because it uses up the disabled bays and the area cordoned off to keep people safe, they bloody whinge; but what if the machine is there to do repairs on the roof, you'd be bloody complaining if tiles fell down and seriously injured someone, or something much worse!

Kodiak started the thread and others jump on the bandwagon, haven't any of you thought to enquire with the building owner(s)/council/tenants why the machine is allowed to park there? It's obviously a lot easier to start a moaning thread than it is to pick up the phone and make a few calls.

I actually laughed reading the above posts, you don't know how sad you all come across as. [lol]

mi16
03-Feb-13, 16:00
You know what I think? Well I'll tell you. You're all a bunch of bloody whingers. People complain about red tape etc., and old folk always say, 'In my day...blah, blah, blah..we just got on with it'. And now because there is some work going on, whether permission to park is granted or not, because it uses up the disabled bays and the area cordoned off to keep people safe, they bloody whinge; but what if the machine is there to do repairs on the roof, you'd be bloody complaining if tiles fell down and seriously injured someone, or something much worse! Kodiak started the thread and others jump on the bandwagon, haven't any of you thought to enquire with the building owner(s)/council/tenants why the machine is allowed to park there? It's obviously a lot easier to start a moaning thread than it is to pick up the phone and make a few calls.I actually laughed reading the above posts, you don't know how sad you all come across as. [lol]P^^^this!!!!

Garnet
04-Feb-13, 15:21
Isn't it sad :(, when someone posts their opinion on a particular subject (which they're entitled to do) there are those who think it's ok to call them whingers etc, only to whing about whingers themselves.......look in the mirror joxville (& mi16 come to that).
Don't bother answering as you'll only fall on deaf ears, oh and joxville there's no need to swear in fact it's against C.com's principals......read Nials recent post on this very subject.......have a good day! xx

joxville
04-Feb-13, 20:34
Isn't it sad :(, when someone posts their opinion on a particular subject (which they're entitled to do) there are those who think it's ok to call them whingers etc, only to whing about whingers themselves.......look in the mirror joxville (& mi16 come to that).Don't bother answering as you'll only fall on deaf ears, oh and joxville there's no need to swear in fact it's against C.com's principals......read Nials recent post on this very subject.......have a good day! xxI wasn't whinging, I was laughing at them and how absurd they sound, you obviously didn't understand my post. But since this one is going to fall on deaf ears then it's safe for me to call you an eejit. And you smell of cheese. :-)))

mi16
04-Feb-13, 20:47
Isn't it sad :(, when someone posts their opinion on a particular subject (which they're entitled to do) there are those who think it's ok to call them whingers etc, only to whing about whingers themselves.......look in the mirror joxville (& mi16 come to that).Don't bother answering as you'll only fall on deaf ears, oh and joxville there's no need to swear in fact it's against C.com's principals......read Nials recent post on this very subject.......have a good day! xx

I seen those scoundrels working on the bank walls today, the pavement covered in debris.
What a disgrace

joxville
05-Feb-13, 20:35
It's rare for me to do this but there are certain people who I respect on the Org, Kodiak being one of them, so having read through this thread again I think one of my previous posts was a bit harsh against him. I know he meant well when he started the thread so I apologise if he has been offended by my post.