PDA

View Full Version : wind turbines made in china

secretsquirrel
02-Feb-13, 10:55
I see on the org a story about the latest batch of wind turbines to arrive in Wick. It states that the wind turbines where made in China. From a recent program on Quest TV channel it highlighted a German company who made wind turbines for German use. Why is it that we in Scotland cannot do the same? or better still in Caithness? that would certainly help the local economy.

focusRS
02-Feb-13, 12:00
Scotland has the resources to produce turbines to a standard superior to that of China but they can make theirs at a fraction of the cost. Quantity wins over quality.

Phill
02-Feb-13, 12:25
Are these the Chinese ones:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vWffN71JO7I/UHw4UtqeouI/AAAAAAAAK2M/Ed50_NkiBLQ/s640/windturbine+exploding.png

http://www.spacountryguardians.org.au/admin/product_image.php?id=136

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/08/article-2071633-0F1B63AB00000578-823_964x534.jpg

macadamia
02-Feb-13, 12:38
Phill - if you peer very closely with some degree of paranoia you can clearly see that these images have all been photoshopped by Abode Inc. In the first one, the flames have been sketched in by hand: the second one is a cut and paste job: and the third isn't even a turbine, but a sculpture called "Glockenspiegel" by the German artist Klaus-Dietrich Olk, from the University of Obergugelbergen.

I do wish people wouldn't try to bad mouth these 21 Century wonders of the age. After all, they bring untold money to the developers, and hide the true cost of their operation by becoming (in a round about way) another tax on the end-user. All you have to do is to say "carbon" and "green", and the punters will put up with ANYTHING.

I'm led to believe the ancient billionaire behind the whole windmill plot is a North Korean living in exile in Monaco. Yah Ping Drope is his name. His windmill factory's name shield hangs over his four-poster in the gold-plated "Bloated Plutocrat" suite and boasts the motto: -

MONEY FOR OLD DROPE

Kodiak
02-Feb-13, 13:44
I see on the org a story about the latest batch of wind turbines to arrive in Wick. It states that the wind turbines where made in China. From a recent program on Quest TV channel it highlighted a German company who made wind turbines for German use. Why is it that we in Scotland cannot do the same? or better still in Caithness? that would certainly help the local economy.

Made is China............WOW I would have thought that would have been too Fragile and they would have been better being made in some sort of Metal. :Razz

secrets in symmetry
02-Feb-13, 13:46
Importing thousands of wind turbines from China is going to make us rich! We'll be world leaders too. Eck says so....

MerlinScot
02-Feb-13, 13:50
Haha macadamia I didn't see the writing about Abode Inc. but I could tell they were photoshopped anyway, wind turbines don't explode that way.
I think Phill's post was an attempt at humour concerning Chinese goods.
Unfortunately China can produce anything at a lower cost because they are allowed to exploit labourers.
Whether we like it or not, this concerns everything, from a TV, an Ipad or...turbines. It will always be cheaper to have it done in China and then shipped than have it made here.

Rheghead
02-Feb-13, 15:52

There was a time when we led the international field in wind turbine technology. But years of lack of investment, lack of foresight, political meddling, climate change denial and other attitudes based in destructive cynicism has led us to where we are now.

David Banks
02-Feb-13, 17:48
There was a time when we led the international field in wind turbine technology. But years of lack of investment, lack of foresight, political meddling, climate change denial and other attitudes based in destructive cynicism has led us to where we are now.

I am still proud of my grandfather (same name as me) who had a windmill, separate battery house, and power distribution in the main dwelling for lighting - long before NOSHEB started delivering electricity to their house "Sunnybrae" in East Mey. I do not remember hearing of the windmill ever being damaged by the Caithness gales, and I do remember hearing that the lights were brighter when it was really windy.

Do you mean to tell me that there is no-one in Scotland, England, Ireland or Wales manufacturing windmills? Surely somebody could manufacture parts of the system such as gears, generators, inverters, transformers and so on. And if EU rules do not allow discrimination by source, then . . . I know what I would do.

oldchemist
02-Feb-13, 17:53
The guys erecting the imported Camster turbines are staying locally. And they are Portugese.

MerlinScot
02-Feb-13, 18:18
The guys erecting the imported Camster turbines are staying locally. And they are Portugese.

How do you know they're Portuguese?