PDA

View Full Version : How was your hogmanay

Fran
01-Jan-07, 17:15
How did you bring in the new year? Were you at the street parties, how were they, were there lotsd of people there. Did you visit friends and family? What's happened to all the first footers.......the custom seems to have died. Used to see lots of people walking about with their bottles clinking in a bag, but none this year.

North Rhins
01-Jan-07, 17:25
We had a bit of a breezy day yesterday. It started nice and sunny but deteriorated as the day wore on. The power went off at about 6pm, so out came the candles. The wind speed rose to around 70mph and it was at this point that next doors slates started coming off!
No damage to my property which is a bonus, but you know what they say if you can’t stand a joke you shouldn’t live on the coast.
Happy New Year.

cuddlepop
01-Jan-07, 17:37
We had a quiet one Fran.The older two went out to first foot but like you say the tradition of first footing seems to be dieing out.
When I first came to Skye twenty years ago it was madness,Newyear seemed to go on for days,no sooner had the men woke up they were away first footing:confused many a time I was left holding the baby.:mad:
Glad everyone's more sensible now.

gofor
01-Jan-07, 18:32
fireworks started going off from 11.30pm untill 5am. was out and about for a couple of hours and went 1st footing again at 11am this morning home now as we have a party tonight . so have to prepare the food

DarkAngel
01-Jan-07, 19:04
I also had a quiet one aswell. Was on the Org chat room til all hours this morning..SO feeling tired today..Plus ive just come down with this cold flu bug goin around..Im feeling rubbish at the moment.Been sipping Lemsip all day :(

badger
01-Jan-07, 20:04
Try the recipe I recommended for Bill and Niall, DarkAngel, as much to my surprise it seems to work and my cold seems to be admitting defeat. See
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=19616
I missed out the sage and chillies but it's still pretty potent.

Went out last night for the first time for years to a friend's party and it was lovely finishing up with a few fireworks while the rain held off for a bit and the moon appeared. Very dramatic. Quiet drive home as no-one else seemed to be out. Love the way Scotland goes to sleep today.

stratman
01-Jan-07, 21:34
I was at the Thurso street party on the mixing desk for the sound system. I was one of two in the shelter during the few downpours. Great fun night. My fist Scottish New Year (Bloody incomers!). Fantastic night. great atmosphere and the odd tingle factor moment. Love it.

DarkAngel
01-Jan-07, 22:49
Thanx for that Badger but it looks yuck..Anything is worth a try as i feeling really pants now. Have just ha Cavonia for 1st time while ago and boy is it horrible!! Did the trick and has made my chest a bit better. :)

Im feeling really sorry for myseld tonite as we were goin to be goin out aswell, But we are both unwell. :(

Smithy
02-Jan-07, 09:35
Haster had a small outside party arranged by a few of the local residents, music, fireworks, BBQ, fantastic night evening though it was wet and windy. Well done to the organisers hope you do the same next year.