PDA

View Full Version : stain on carpet..suggestions please....

wings
01-Jan-07, 12:02
hey folks,
my boyfreind spilt coffee on our carpet and for the life of me i cannot get it out...
anything i try to do till remove it seems to be making it worse!

its a light natural carpet which is making it look so bad...

its now just this big dark stain..!
i've tried hot soapy water.. and also tried that spray 1001 which is normally quite good but not on this occasion..

any suggestions of what i can try next?

thank you

KCI
01-Jan-07, 12:14
We use Vanish mousse, which is quite good for getting stains out of the carpet. Our house is full of kids and cats, so as you can imagine, we end up with lots of stains on the carpet!

emb123
01-Jan-07, 12:35
found on the web and the same advice seems to be repeated in many places:

Coffee - Stain Removal on Carpet and Upholstery 1. Mix one teaspoon of a neutral detergent (a mild detergent containing no alkalies or bleaches) with a cup of luke-warm water. Blot. 2. Mix one-third cup of white household vinegar with two-thirds cup of water. Blot. 3. Sponge with clean water. Blot.

I think the most important things are 1 - be quick (coffee acts as a dye) and pretty with any stain 2 - don't use HOT water, only cool or lukewarm as the hot water may fix the stain.

That oxi stuff is supposed to be very good but never tried it. Normally (I've had coffee spills quite often) I just use loads of soapy water to dilute it then blot it out with old towels and keep on doing that until it's gone. If you have an aqua vac of some sort or can borrow one my sister swears by them :)

connieb19
01-Jan-07, 12:43
I'd just throw it out...... the boyfriend that is.. :eek: :eek:

_Ju_
01-Jan-07, 12:45
In Portugal alot of expresso is drunk and accidents happen. We have as common knowledge that coffee with sugar inavriable leaves a permanent stain. If it had no sugar it can be washed out. But this applies to clothes...we don't have many carpets

highlander
01-Jan-07, 12:48
Just noticed that emb123 gave you the answer to your question but here is a web site to help with any disasters that may happen
http://www.ehow.com/how_18798_remove-coffee-stains.html

Alice in Blunderland
01-Jan-07, 12:54
We had the same accident in our last house and I was quick off the mark with stain remover and cloths.....nothing worked, the carpet was only months old and cost a fortune......we sold the house with the carpet and a lovely big rug covering the stain :D

trinkie
01-Jan-07, 12:57
In my experience do not use that 1001 stuff !!
It seems the more you put on the bigger the mark becomes .
Someone said, it's something coming from the underlay making the mark.
I have three grandsons every day - and we have several marks on the carpet which do get worse each time I sponge it. I have never had this problem with carpets before.

Good luck - and let me know if you manage to get this stain off !

EDDIE
01-Jan-07, 13:33
hey folks,
my boyfreind spilt coffee on our carpet and for the life of me i cannot get it out...
anything i try to do till remove it seems to be making it worse!

its a light natural carpet which is making it look so bad...

its now just this big dark stain..!
i've tried hot soapy water.. and also tried that spray 1001 which is normally quite good but not on this occasion..

any suggestions of what i can try next?

thank you

Im guilty of that to i just give it wipe and the the rest will wear out come time i think lesson for next time dont by light carpet again there nice when new but over time they start looking dirty better of with a dark colour
I no this is the wrong onlook to things but why cant you just poor a bit of paint over stain mark tell the insurance company your clumsy boyfriend knocked the paint over and claim for a carpet u might as well everyone else does it because your insurance rises anyway and is your not doing that regular it should be ok

j4bberw0ck
01-Jan-07, 14:19
Find someone with a Vax that has carpet-cleaning attachments, It's the only way you'll get that sort of stain out. Don't put salt on it (as I was once advised); you'll fix the stain in the fibre.

DarkAngel
01-Jan-07, 15:06
Maybe vinegar and warm water will lift the stain..? I normally use vinegar for lots of things!

j4bberw0ck
01-Jan-07, 15:13
vinegar and warm water

I think it'll depend on the fibre in the carpet and the nature of the chemicals in the coffee; vinegar is acidic and in earlier times, vegetable dyes were fixed into wool, for instance, by using an acid solution. Urine was commonly used for the purpose, I believe.......

Whatever floats your boat.... or do I really mean that? :lol::lol:

danc1ngwitch
01-Jan-07, 19:33
I'd just throw it out...... the boyfriend that is.. :eek: :eek:

i read and thought hu? finished reading and giggled ..hehehe

dirdyweeker
01-Jan-07, 23:58
I think with liquid spills the priority is to soak up as much of the liquid as possible as soon as possible. Water down the stain with cold clear water and reabsorb again. Then good old Vanish spray. I use it on my cream coloured livingroom carpet for all stains and find it very effective. Good luck!

ps.. With the sales at the moment a new one could be the 2nd option!:)

jay
02-Jan-07, 21:25
that rug doctor machine from somerfield is excellent - they also have a stain removal product which I've found to be really good but i think if you've let this dry and already used products on it you've probably had it -great start to the new year!