PDA

View Full Version : Where in Caithness can I buy woven fiberglass mat or tape?

Even Chance
30-Jan-13, 09:11
Where can I get woven roving fiberglass matting? Or even the woven tape thats about 2" to 4" wide?
Its for repairing the taped seams on a plywood Mirror sailing dinghy.

I know I can get chopped strand mat easily enough. Its the neater woven stuff I'm after if anyone knows. Dont need an awful lot as I have some already, just a few square meters to ensure that I have enough to complete the project.

Thanks

Birons
30-Jan-13, 11:05
We have a couple of items in stock that may do that job.

Stack Rock
30-Jan-13, 12:28
Caithness Chemicals at Wick Airport Ind Estate usually have matting and Resin in stock

Even Chance
30-Jan-13, 12:42
Caithness Chemicals at Wick Airport Ind Estate usually have matting and Resin in stock

Ive only ever seen him stocking the chopped strand mat. No use for boat-building Im afraid. (well it would do the same job, but its as rough as a Badgers Tadger!) lol

Kodiak
30-Jan-13, 12:43
Auto Parts in Thurso will this.

Unit 19B
Ormlie Industrial Estate
Thurso
Caithness
KW14 7QU

01847 892916

Even Chance
30-Jan-13, 12:44
We have a couple of items in stock that may do that job.

Have PM'd you to ask a few questions. It has to be a cloth type, woven at right angles. Like this:-
https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=woven+roving&oq=woven+roving&gs_l=serp.3..35i39j0l3.3298.3571.0.3969.2.2.0.0.0. 0.80.80.1.1.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.XGZ38T7CusQ&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=93a7d6bbba3261cb&biw=1247&bih=687

Even Chance
30-Jan-13, 12:45
Auto Parts in Thurso will this.

Unit 19B
Ormlie Industrial Estate
Thurso
Caithness
KW14 7QU

01847 892916

Doubt it. Car repairs use chopped strand matting, not woven roving.

andyw
30-Jan-13, 13:00
Hi i use ALLSCOT in glasgow lot cheaper than wick as when i did my flat roof they charged double the price for everthing in wick round the harbour way and they even got it from Allscot at trade so Alscot the place for me, website www.allscotltd.co.uk (http://www.allscotltd.co.uk) sale everthing to do with fiberglassing, All sent up by courier still cheaper

Even Chance
30-Jan-13, 13:11
Hi i use ALLSCOT in glasgow lot cheaper than wick as when i did my flat roof they charged double the price for everthing in wick round the harbour way and they even got it from Allscot at trade so Alscot the place for me, website www.allscotltd.co.uk (http://www.allscotltd.co.uk) sale everthing to do with fiberglassing, All sent up by courier still cheaper

No fear. I know I can get it from the South, but thats not here when I need it, ie- now, AND I'd far rather give the cash to a local business for this albeit small purchase anyway. If we dont keep using local businesses, they simply wont be here in the future, especially when needed for things like this that are required in a hurry.

Thanks very much for the info though, I will bookmark it for future GRP requirements if required. I have used CFS fiberglass supplies before. Thats where my current stock of woven roving came from.

starfish
30-Jan-13, 13:15
there is a old man that repairs boats just the other side of the chip shop on wick habour he is only there some days but thats where we go think it is the place with doors

Even Chance
30-Jan-13, 13:23
Aye, that will be Jimmy McCaughey. He has pretty much retired now and as you say is not always there. He should have some but I might not see him for weeks. Thanks though.

ducati
30-Jan-13, 15:18
I know you'll have tried MUT. He has got stuff in for me super quick recently..

Even Chance
30-Jan-13, 15:41
I know you'll have tried MUT. He has got stuff in for me super quick recently..

Hiya, I havent tried MUT yet, but I need to see them to get me a Buoyancy vest in for this dinghy anyway. I cant sail this with my good auto-inflate lifejackets on!
I will measure up the required amount tonight, and see if what I already have will do the job. I'll also try to see if I can find Jimmy at the old Boatyard this weekend.

ducati
30-Jan-13, 15:49
Hiya, I havent tried MUT yet, but I need to see them to get me a Buoyancy vest in for this dinghy anyway. I cant sail this with my good auto-inflate lifejackets on!
I will measure up the required amount tonight, and see if what I already have will do the job. I'll also try to see if I can find Jimmy at the old Boatyard this weekend.

Less pies my bouy, less pies! :lol:

Even Chance
30-Jan-13, 16:41
You know how very true you are! lol
It may just go into very long storage for the bairn when he's older!

M Swanson
30-Jan-13, 16:48
No use for boat-building Im afraid. (well it would do the same job, but its as rough as a Badgers Tadger!) lol

Oh! What's a "Badger's Tadger," Even? I wonder if this is the Celtic form of the English Lodger's todger?" Sorry to threadnap, but the English language gets me excited. :D

Even Chance
30-Jan-13, 16:54
Oh! What's a "Badger's Tadger," Even? I wonder if this is the Celtic form of the English Lodger's todger?" Sorry to threadnap, but the English language gets me excited. :D
Not a clue. Never even seen a Badger up here, and I canna speak English til save ma life! Sums up what I wanted to say just perfectly though! lol

M Swanson
30-Jan-13, 16:56
Ooh! Yes, Even. I rather think it did! :lol: