PDA

View Full Version : New Year Resolutions

rfr10
31-Dec-06, 21:08
What's your New Year Resolution? Haven't a clue what mines is yet.

emb123
31-Dec-06, 21:36
number 1 for me has got to be to quit smoking.

closely followed by getting rid of all the non-essential things I have cluttering me up here ready to move.

Next up will be either to under-eat or burn off the Christmas chocolate, and cakes, and mince pies :(

As soon as the paperwork etc has gone through will be actually moving to Caithness (carting as little junk as possible).

Then comes the fun game of positioning myself to earn a crust.

2007 is going to be a very important year for me - and it's going to get on and stay on the right track from the word 'go'.

That quitting smoking is going to be tough though (especially for everyone around me from past experience LOL).

Best wishes for all our good intentions - long may we say true to them :)

DarkAngel
31-Dec-06, 21:50
Well mine is to lose some weight just a little not much..Still got the pregnacy belly and still look lek a frump...Also get back to the gym too, Ive only been back twice since my baby was Born and that was in July!!

Thats defo my New years resolution - Get to gym and Loose a little weight!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/dpwells/Animations/Cheerleaders/thcheerleader_d.gif

wifie
31-Dec-06, 22:13
Good luck quitting smoking emb123 but maybe you should leave it until your move to Caithness has been achieved. Speaking from experience moving is VERY stressfull and although I hate smoking you will have a better chance of stopping once you are esconced in your new surroundings and getting out and about with your wee dog like I think I saw in your previous posts.
Good Luck with it all!

emb123
31-Dec-06, 22:34
Good luck quitting smoking emb123 but maybe you should leave it until your move to Caithness has been achieved. Speaking from experience moving is VERY stressfull and although I hate smoking you will have a better chance of stopping once you are esconced in your new surroundings and getting out and about with your wee dog like I think I saw in your previous posts.
Good Luck with it all!
Thanks wifie :) Yes - I just happen to have a fresh load of duty free tobacco to get through which should just about keep me going until I've moved. After that it would have to be full price or none at all. I'm sure I felt a warning twinge when I was out walking the dog earlier and deep down I know that I need to quit altogether soon, as I smoke way too much and it has to stop.

It's not like I shouldn't know better - my Grandad died of lung cancer and my family has a bit of history of cardiac problems. After I've moved will be the perfect opportunity. It will still be tough though! I've never used the patches so maybe I'll try going to the doctor and see if he can help me with those.

He doesn't know it yet but I think my Jack Russell is in for a wonderful surprise in the New Year :)

Happy Hogmanay!

Jeemag_USA
31-Dec-06, 22:55
Promise myself to let Pizza cool down before eating it, just burnt the roof of my mouth again :lol:

Got to start and then finish the bar I am supposed to be building in my house!

Got to finish everthing else I start and don't finish :roll:

Bobinovich
31-Dec-06, 23:47
Like DarkAngel mine is to lose some weight. I started about 4 weeks ago initially to keep Bobsgirl company in her weight loss challenge, although I've got health considerations for myself too. So far we have been visiting the gym 3 times a week and have pretty much cut out snacks and cut down our portions.

Up to the Christmas holiday we'd lost over half a stone each and have not been too bad during the holiday, so are hoping most of it has stayed off!

Jeemag_USA
31-Dec-06, 23:57
Like DarkAngel mine is to lose some weight. I started about 4 weeks ago initially to keep Bobsgirl company in her weight loss challenge, although I've got health considerations for myself too. So far we have been visiting the gym 3 times a week and have pretty much cut out snacks and cut down our portions.

Up to the Christmas holiday we'd lost over half a stone each and have not been too bad during the holiday, so are hoping most of it has stayed off!

I wish a very good luck to everyone trying to lose wieght, at one time it was never a concern of mine but when I moved to the states food just became a little more convenient. At one time I was 22 pounds heavier than I was when I arrived in 2002, and I have always been a skinny person. I never paid much attention until I went to get a photo done for my drivers lisence, it was when I saw the end result it hit me. It can be very distressing for people and its almost as hard or harder than giving up smoking. I tip my hat and respect to anyone who can stick to a plan and lose weight and to thos who try and can't, keep trying and be proud of yourself for doing it!

EDDIE
01-Jan-07, 13:21
Thanks wifie :) Yes - I just happen to have a fresh load of duty free tobacco to get through which should just about keep me going until I've moved. After that it would have to be full price or none at all. I'm sure I felt a warning twinge when I was out walking the dog earlier and deep down I know that I need to quit altogether soon, as I smoke way too much and it has to stop.

It's not like I shouldn't know better - my Grandad died of lung cancer and my family has a bit of history of cardiac problems. After I've moved will be the perfect opportunity. It will still be tough though! I've never used the patches so maybe I'll try going to the doctor and see if he can help me with those.

He doesn't know it yet but I think my Jack Russell is in for a wonderful surprise in the New Year :)

Happy Hogmanay!
Stop smoking is easy i have done it about 20 times already.
My resolution is to stop smoking as well but you really have to be in the mood for it emb123 have u seen that new advert about smokers how the hook drives them out for a smoke its so true of an advert

emb123
01-Jan-07, 13:42
Stop smoking is easy i have done it about 20 times already.
My resolution is to stop smoking as well but you really have to be in the mood for it emb123 have u seen that new advert about smokers how the hook drives them out for a smoke its so true of an advert
no - not seen the advert as I hardly ever watch TV, but yes, that's kind of what I'm waiting for - I still enjoy smoking too much and I've been waiting to feel the right level of motivation.

I think I can predict that I will be hard up after moving for a while so that is a really good reason to quit along with my knowledge of what it is doing to my health.

I do have a lot of willpower but getting the desire there in the first place when it comes for quitting smoking is difficult. I think not being able to afford to shortly is as good a reason as any - and I can build on that.

From past experience however I am really horrible to be around when I've quit smoking for a few weeks and I'd prefer to avoid that if I can - maybe the patches will help overcome the physical addiction side-effects like that.

EDDIE
01-Jan-07, 14:03
Well ive tried nictine gum is absultey minging hated that i tried 12hour patches that work well but its when you drop down in size of patch than when it you feel it i lasted 2 months on patchs then gave in i think all these stop smoking aids prolongs the withdrawal effects.I got on best when i went cold turkey first three months was the hardest after that it got easier but the demon drink made me smoke again I lasted a year going cold turkey
But for what its worth you probably understand what im saying if u tried stop smoking before what always getting the better of me is my moods when i stop smoking first three weeks i cant concentrate on anything and for months later i have very short fuse and thats what gets me im different person altogether and i dont like myself when im like that when i smoke im a very laid back easy going person.
I just wish the government would band fags altogether and force everyone to stop smoking i think smokers in general 95% would love to stop but cant and they would thank the government 2 years later if they band them.

cuddlepop
01-Jan-07, 15:51
Mr Cp going to smoking cessation classes in Portee on the 3rd he has tried everything to stop.Acupuncture worked for a wee while but its expensive.
Me I have promised to be more positive and find the old me...

danc1ngwitch
01-Jan-07, 16:16
ah well i guess i will try and be all i can be and try not to be mean .. love those who are mean to me anyway and all that nice stuffs... xxx

Jeemag_USA
01-Jan-07, 16:40
Well ive tried nictine gum is absultey minging hated that i tried 12hour patches that work well but its when you drop down in size of patch than when it you feel it i lasted 2 months on patchs then gave in i think all these stop smoking aids prolongs the withdrawal effects.I got on best when i went cold turkey first three months was the hardest after that it got easier but the demon drink made me smoke again I lasted a year going cold turkey
But for what its worth you probably understand what im saying if u tried stop smoking before what always getting the better of me is my moods when i stop smoking first three weeks i cant concentrate on anything and for months later i have very short fuse and thats what gets me im different person altogether and i dont like myself when im like that when i smoke im a very laid back easy going person.
I just wish the government would band fags altogether and force everyone to stop smoking i think smokers in general 95% would love to stop but cant and they would thank the government 2 years later if they band them.

I have stopped twice in the last three years, once for 8 months, and once for 2 months, after the eight months I thought I was home and dry, but its amazing what an all day party and some alcohol will make you do. I have tried everything but I still believe the best is a combination of nicotine chalk tablets and cold turkey. The ones I use here are called "Commit" they come in 2 or 4mg tablets, you push them to the roof of your mouth and they will stay there for 30 mins to an hour and slowly dissolve, its important not to chew or suck on them as it gives you heartburn. I started with 4mg tablets taking about 6 a day for two weeks and then moved to 2mg tablets 6 a day and slowly brought it down in weekly steps, 5 tabs, 4 tabs and so on. It worked really well because I never once felt like smoking during that and then weaned myself off of them. The hardest part of stopping smoking is keeping away from situations you normally like to smoke in, other smokers company, drinking situations and so on. I am determined to keep trying, after the last 2 month cold turkey session I am actually starting to smoke more than I did before, so I got to stop again. Its very difficult.

htwood
01-Jan-07, 17:25
my new years resolution is to go for a 30 minute walk at brisk pace, at least 5 times a week. Doc says I need to jumpstart my metabolism, yes, again. Ow.
Good luck to all who will stop smoking and/or drinking and/or *insert favorite addiction* this year. -H

canuck
01-Jan-07, 21:56
I did it! I am off and running, well walking!

I made up my mind and I did it. Day one complete and only 364 to go to maintain this resolution. Guilted by the environmentalists in our midst, encouraged by my fellow orgers on the fitness thread and motivated by the potential of a few adventures which will need some walking resources, I set out from my house today, January 1, to see what I could accomplish. I made it to the post office and back in just over an hour. There is hope!!!!

And if I can do it, you all can do it. So lets get those resolutions up on the screen and into our determination banks. Good luck to everyone.

DarkAngel
01-Jan-07, 22:42
Well done Canuck, Good for you!!

Wish
01-Jan-07, 23:09
I have quite a few of them!

I have to lose quite a bit of weight, I will be doing this with healthy eating and walking.

I have to get out more as since we moved here I hardly go anywhere except the school run and walk the dog.

I would like to have a go at writing a short childrens story.

Good luck to everyone in keeping your resolutions, i'm sure we can do them:D

canuck
01-Jan-07, 23:20
I have quite a few of them!

I have to lose quite a bit of weight, I will be doing this with healthy eating and walking.

I have to get out more as since we moved here I hardly go anywhere except the school run and walk the dog.

I would like to have a go at writing a short childrens story.

Good luck to everyone in keeping your resolutions, i'm sure we can do them:D

Go for it! You will have lots of support from your fellow orgers, at least those of us with similar ambitions.

One in our midst writes wonderful children's stories, so I encourage you to keep up the tradition. Don't forget the literature section. You might want to try publishing a draft copy there. You will get encouragement from your fellows and probably some excellent commentary.

Wish
01-Jan-07, 23:29
Go for it! You will have lots of support from your fellow orgers, at least those of us with similar ambitions.

One in our midst writes wonderful children's stories, so I encourage you to keep up the tradition. Don't forget the literature section. You might want to try publishing a draft copy there. You will get encouragement from your fellows and probably some excellent commentary.

Aww thank you:cool:x

sassylass
02-Jan-07, 00:46
I resolve to make no resolutions ;)

rockchick
02-Jan-07, 06:43
This isn't written by myself...on another thread Original Ducky was asking about becoming an agony aunt, which caused me to google my favourite agony aunt from across the pond...She died in 2002, but this letter still gets posted in the newspaper syndicates on New Years Day, and I thought I'd share it with you'all. Enjoy

Let this coming year be better than all the others. Vow to do some of the things you've always wanted to do but couldn't find the time.

Call up a forgotten friend. Drop an old grudge, and replace it with some pleasant memories. Share a funny story with someone whose spirits are dragging. A good laugh can be very good medicine.

Vow not to make a promise you don't think you can keep. Pay a debt. Give a soft answer. Free yourself of envy and malice. Encourage some youth to do his or her best. Share your experience and offer support. Young people need role models.

Make a genuine effort to stay in closer touch with family and good friends. Resolve to stop magnifying small problems and shooting from the lip. Words that you have to eat can be hard to digest.

Find the time to be kind and thoughtful. All of us have the same allotment: 24 hours a day. Give a compliment. It might provide someone with a badly needed lift.

Think things through. Forgive an injustice. Listen more. Be kind.

Apologize when you realize you are wrong. An apology never diminishes a person. It elevates him or her. Don't blow your own horn. If you've done something praiseworthy, someone will notice eventually.

Try to understand a point of view that is different from your own. Few things are 100 percent one way or another. Examine the demands you make on others.

Lighten up. When you feel like blowing your top, ask yourself, "Will it matter a week from today?" Laugh the loudest when the joke is on you.

The sure way to have a friend is to be one. We are all connected by our humanity, and we need each other. Avoid malcontents and pessimists. They drag you down and contribute nothing.

Don't discourage a beginner from trying something risky. Nothing ventured means nothing gained. Be optimistic. A can-do spirit is the fuel that makes things go.

Go to war against animosity and complacency. Express your gratitude. Give credit when it's due -- and even when it isn't. It will make you look good.

Read something uplifting. Deep-six the trash. You wouldn't eat garbage, why put it in your head? Don't abandon your old-fashioned principles. They never go out of style. When courage is needed, ask yourself, "If not me, who? If not now, when?"

Take better care of yourself. Remember, you're all you've got. Pass up that second helping. You really don't need it. Vow to eat more sensibly. You'll feel better, and look better, too.

Don't put up with secondhand smoke. Nobody has the right to pollute your air or give you cancer. If someone says, "This is a free country," remind him or her that the country may be free, but no person is free if he has a habit he can't control.

Return those books you borrowed. Reschedule that missed dental appointment. Clean out your closet. Take those photos out of the drawer, and put them in an album. If you see litter on the sidewalk, pick it up instead of walking over it.

Give yourself a reality check. Phoniness is transparent, and it is tiresome. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of nature. A flower is God's miracle.

Walk tall and smile more. You'll look 10 years younger. Don't be afraid to say, "I love you." Say it again. They are the sweetest words in the world. If you have love in your life, it can be the best year ever. -- Ann Landers

EDDIE
02-Jan-07, 12:26
I have stopped twice in the last three years, once for 8 months, and once for 2 months, after the eight months I thought I was home and dry, but its amazing what an all day party and some alcohol will make you do. I have tried everything but I still believe the best is a combination of nicotine chalk tablets and cold turkey. The ones I use here are called "Commit" they come in 2 or 4mg tablets, you push them to the roof of your mouth and they will stay there for 30 mins to an hour and slowly dissolve, its important not to chew or suck on them as it gives you heartburn. I started with 4mg tablets taking about 6 a day for two weeks and then moved to 2mg tablets 6 a day and slowly brought it down in weekly steps, 5 tabs, 4 tabs and so on. It worked really well because I never once felt like smoking during that and then weaned myself off of them. The hardest part of stopping smoking is keeping away from situations you normally like to smoke in, other smokers company, drinking situations and so on. I am determined to keep trying, after the last 2 month cold turkey session I am actually starting to smoke more than I did before, so I got to stop again. Its very difficult.

When u see how hard it is to stop smoking it makes you think what it must be like for a druggy to give up the effects it has on them long term u can see why they commit crime to feed it

Whitewater
02-Jan-07, 13:53
I don't think resolutions work for me, so I have not made any, tried many times make them and keep them, works for a wee while but then tend to loose interest.

I made many resolutions to stop smoking, they never worked, but I have have not had a cigarette now for 30yrs 8 months 15 days and 7 hrs, I'm doing well. Eddie is correct, the time must be right and you must want to. I don't believe in the gum or patches, they keep nicotine in your system which is no good, you have to go "Cold Turkey". I found it difficult, just took it one day at a time, kept a packet of fags in my pocket for about a month, I had decided that if I got really desperate or 'gurny' I would have one.

Good luck to all of you who are intending to give it up.