PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Street Sweepers

sam
28-Jan-13, 21:39
Does anyone know if the street sweeper's still goes out in Thurso on a Sunday, as I went down a walk to the beach yesterday morning about 11.30 with my dog and 3 kids and there was Glass all over the road and Pavement outside the Holburn and further down the precinct there was broken glass as well and there was a lot of litter lying around the streets, Is this the council trying to make even more cut backs?

Normally the street sweepers have the streets really clean but Sunday seems to have been an exception, hopefully this is not a display of things to come, as I would hate to think of a Child or Animal getting hurt due to it being left.

If it is Council cut backs then maybe they will have to get Publicans to clean up outside their premises as from what I have seen the bulk of it seems to be outside licensed premise's [disgust]

catran
28-Jan-13, 22:52
Seems it is cut backs, same in Wick a disgrace, the streets of Helmsdale looks as if they are gardens no weeding between the street slabs, same in Brora and Golspie, a sign of the times. What does one pay their council tax for? Christmas lights left on in all the wee villages on the A9??????

changilass
28-Jan-13, 23:03
Why blame the council, doubt its them smashing glass and littering. Make it the responsibility of the pubs, they are the ones making a profit.

sam
28-Jan-13, 23:15
No one said that the council were to blame for smashing the glass and scattering the litter, I asked if the council were making more cut backs & if so then maybe they should concider asking the publicans to clean up the mess outside their premise's.

The council street sweeper have always made a very good job of keeping the streets clean, having broken glass lying around is dangerous, There used to be a road sweeper clean the streets in Thurso now a day's you only ever see it going round in wick.

macadamia
29-Jan-13, 00:32
The litter is dropped by retards with no social graces or conscience, and grazers who feel it necessary to trough through fast food in the street, and spread the remains on the pavement. The broken glass comes from clumsy drunks who can't hold either their temper or their liquor. Until the community at large sees fit to stop this rot at source, you get the streets you have. If you like living ankle deep in vile rubbish, keep giving your fellow citizens permission to drop stuff around. Or take a stand......Whatever you do, stop blaming other people/agencies. Prevention, rather than cure is the only proper solution.

sam
29-Jan-13, 09:28
Everyone is aware where the mess come's from, Name calling and slagging them off will achieve nothing.
The question was Simple is the council making more cut backs?
The reason I asked was because the streets in Thurso are usually cleaned by the street sweeper's by that time in the morning and a damn good job they do to, cut backs also mean less work for them, but sadly no one seems to get the point being made here.[disgust]

Gronnuck
29-Jan-13, 10:07
Does anyone know if the street sweeper's still goes out in Thurso on a Sunday, as I went down a walk to the beach yesterday morning about 11.30 with my dog and 3 kids and there was Glass all over the road and Pavement outside the Holburn and further down the precinct there was broken glass as well and there was a lot of litter lying around the streets, Is this the council trying to make even more cut backs?

Normally the street sweepers have the streets really clean but Sunday seems to have been an exception, hopefully this is not a display of things to come, as I would hate to think of a Child or Animal getting hurt due to it being left.

If it is Council cut backs then maybe they will have to get Publicans to clean up outside their premises as from what I have seen the bulk of it seems to be outside licensed premise's [disgust]

If the issue is such a concern to you why not go to http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvironment/maintenance/cleansing/streetcleaning.htm so you can report/complain/discuss the issue with the appropriate authorities? *simples*

sam
29-Jan-13, 10:30
I simply asked a question, which seems to be a problem for some, if you don't have the answer don't reply simple, which obviously no one does know the answer as all they do is come in to the thread slagging folk off and complaining about something different to which I asked, and yes I will take it further, I stupidly thought that maybe someone could say if it was a cut back or just a one off.

crashbandicoot1979
29-Jan-13, 11:57
The street sweeping machine is currently off the road as it's broken. There's only one in Caithness but hopefully it will be back in action soon.

sam
29-Jan-13, 12:15
I heard that due to a budged cut mechanical sweepers are not out on Sundays and haven't been since ages its down to street sweepers
that's what led to me asking have the stopped the street sweepers

crashbandicoot1979
29-Jan-13, 16:23
I heard that due to a budged cut mechanical sweepers are not out on Sundays and haven't been since ages its down to street sweepers
that's what led to me asking have the stopped the street sweepers

Ah, right. Haven't seen them out on weekends in Thurso for a while - wouldn't be surprised if there's been a cut there.

Asylum seeker
30-Jan-13, 01:33
Ive been made aware that the mechanical sweeper has been taken away due to cut backs so we have to rely on the Wick sweeper which as far as i know never comes through here but i may be wrong, but i can honestly say i have not seen it in a very long time. As for the street cleaners i have seen one out on a Saturday and 2 out on a Sunday and have been led to believe that has now been cut down to one to save more money but they may have cut both. Lets hope that is not the case.

sam
30-Jan-13, 15:09
Here's hoping that's not the case as the streets will be in a hell of a state especially with all this wind, If they have been cut back no doubt the decision has come from some pen pusher who like's to sit in his butt all day