PDA

View Full Version : waiting for Broadband, problem....

daviddd
12-Feb-05, 23:58
Can one of you computer buffs help me out with this one? I applied to Wanadoo a few days ago to switch from dial-up to broadband, got the new modem, fitted it, and am now waiting possibly up to 7 or 10 days for the changeover to be effected. No problem with this delay, but according to the blurb I think I am supposed to leave both dial up and broadband connected between BT socket and computer, so that in a few days I will switch on and find 2 green lights on the new modem, indicating that I can switch to broadband.

With me so far? :D Well, trouble is, if the new modem is connected I cannot connect to dial-up - I have to remove the BT plug to the new modem, then I can access the internet via dial-up. Surely that can't be right? I've tried Wanadoo 'help' but just got an answer I couldn't understand (as usual :eek: ).

Any ideas? Or haven't you got a clue what I'm talking aboot? :eyes

DrSzin
13-Feb-05, 00:19
Do you have a microfilter? It should look something like this:
http://www.solware.co.uk/telephone-related-products/computer%20accessories_files/adsl-microfilter-image.jpg
This may be stating the obvious, but the ADSL modem plugs into the squareish socket, the dialup modem plugs into the standard BT rectangular phone socket, and they can be used at the same time. If you want to plug a phone in too, then stick a standard "doubler phone adaptor"
http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/pictures/GB/VKG/SK/MD/871578_sk_md.jpg
into the BT tel phone socket on the microfilter.

You need a microfilter for every phone socket that has a phone or ADSL modem plugged into it. I have four of the things in ma hoose.

daviddd
13-Feb-05, 00:26
Yes, I've got a microfilter, connected just as you describe. But no way can I leave the broadband ADSL plug in if I want to connect via dial-up. I have a steady and a flashing (LH) green light on the new modem, but I think that's OK until we're actually enabled?

DrSzin
13-Feb-05, 00:35
Yes, I've got a microfilter, connected just as you describe. But no way can I leave the broadband ADSL plug in if I want to connect via dial-up.
Why not? I am confused. Is there not enough space? Does your ADSL modem not connect to the microfilter with a cable that looks like an ordinary modem cable with a "squareish" plug at each end?

I have a steady and a flashing (LH) green light on the new modem, but I think that's OK until we're actually enabled?
Yes, that's right. The flashing green ADSL light will become steady when you are ADSL-enabled.

Bobinovich
13-Feb-05, 00:37
I've come across this problem myself in my office and the only way I could get round it was to unplug the ADSL filter and then plug the standard modem in. You'll need to plug your ADSL modem back in periodically to see if your Broadband is up and running at which point you're ready to go and will probably never want to use/hear a standard dial up connection again!

I hope that works.

postie
13-Feb-05, 00:43
Our house switched from wanadoo dial up to broadband, we never waited for anything just connected up and away we went. we got an email about a week later to say we were now enabled but we'd been using it for a week.This was on the email as a link to help is it the same as you've been using?.

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7016.htm

0870 010 2462* broadband help number

daviddd
13-Feb-05, 11:58
OK cheers folks. I still haven't been enabled after 4 or 5 days, but I'll reconnect the broadband modem once I get the e-mail from Wanadoo. :)