PDA

View Full Version : Tesco!?

bigpete
31-Dec-06, 16:21
Did our shopping in Tesco at 08.30 this morning (before the rush!) all the way from 'out west' and came across Councillor 'Graham - I'll use Tesco in Wick, but you 'aint having an ASDA in Thurso - Smith' happily shopping away.. Anyway has anyone any idea on how co-op's 'Judicial Review' went, or any comments from MSP 'Dr Eleanor - don't shop at Tesco - Scott' with regard to it being a 'eco-friendly building?.. Been away, so any news gratefully received..

DarkAngel
31-Dec-06, 16:40
Anyway has anyone any idea on how co-op's 'Judicial Review' went,

What review was that?:confused

bigpete
31-Dec-06, 17:12
Hi, basically Co-op tried to stop Tesco building by getting lawmen in edinburgh to put a spanner in the works by a 'judicial review' - just wondered what happened to the 'review'...

http://www.caithness.org/archives/2006/july2006.htm (http://www.caithness.org/archives/2006/july2006.htm)
Work will carry on at the Tesco site at Wick despite the Coop legal attempts to get the planning decision over-turned. The Co-operative Group (CWS) are now asking for Judicial Review of the Highland council planning decision to allow Tesco to build a new store at Wick. The matter has now been scheduled to be heard on 5 and 6 October in the Court of Session in Edinburgh. The Coop are challenging the accuracy of the Retail Impact Assessment which had the general support of planning officials. In addition there is also a question being posed by them over the size of the car parking arrangements. Tesco have indicated there would be no slow-down in the building work and the site is now cleared and ready for foundations to begin.

AND:

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/402/Tesco_hit_by_legal_challenge.html (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/402/Tesco_hit_by_legal_challenge.html)
Tesco hit by legal challenge
By Gordon Calder
Published: 28 July, 2006
A LEGAL challenge is being mounted by the Co-op over the decision by Caithness councillors to grant planning permission to Tesco for its new supermarket in Wick. The Co-op is seeking a judicial review of the decision, which was made unanimously by members of the area planning, development, Europe and tourism committee in April this year.The Co-op objected to the application at the time and, it is understood, now claims that its views were not given full consideration. However, Tesco yesterday described the move as “a spoiling tactic” and vowed to try and have its new superstore open by the end of November as planned.Company spokesman Nick Gellatly acknowledged the judicial review – expected to be heard at the Court of Session in Edinburgh in October – could delay the project but said Tesco hoped that would not be the case.Meanwhile, the preparatory work is continuing at the site, adjacent to the former Caithness Glass factory on the outskirts of Wick.

Asked why he thought the legal proceedings were being initiated, Mr Gellatly replied: “We can offer better prices and better range and quality of product than the Co-op. They may be doing this as a spoiling tactic to try and prevent competition.”
A Glasgow-based spokeswoman for the Co-op confirmed yesterday that the company has submitted a petition for a judicial review but stressed that no decision has yet been taken. “It would be inappropriate to comment further while legal proceedings are ongoing,” she said.
The Highland Council’s principal planner David Mudie, who recommended approval of the application in the report which went before the Caithness planning committee, said the local authority would defend its decision.
He stressed the outcome would be a matter for the judges but claimed due consideration was given to the views expressed by those who opposed the Tesco proposal.
As previously reported, Tesco was granted planning permission for the superstore although opponents, including the Co-op and Somerfield supermarkets, Highlands and Islands Green MSP Dr Eleanor Scott and five residents, claimed the development would “kill business in the town”.
While there were 10 letters of objection, there were 93 letters of support for the supermarket plan, which it was said would create over 200 jobs, help the local economy and attract other businesses and shoppers to the area.
Thurso councillor Donnie Mackay was the only committee member who expressed reservations and claimed that small shops in Caithness would close due to competition from Tesco, but his colleagues all backed the scheme. They claimed Tesco would have “a positive impact” and help retain an estimated £8 million currently spent outwith the county.

DarkAngel
31-Dec-06, 17:47
Thanx for that i understand now! lol :lol:

EDDIE
31-Dec-06, 18:01
Well if the coop was trying to stop tescos getting built thats in the coop interest and not the locals coop surely doesnt want the locals to get good value for the money they earn thats a good reason not to shop in the coop

jay
02-Jan-07, 20:34
re value for money - went a run down to tesco today looking for some plain white t-shirts for printing on - asked a very helpful assistant for them and was told that tesco are stopping their value range

DarkAngel
02-Jan-07, 20:36
Why are they stopping it? Also new look are stopping their inspire range? Why do big stores do this?

maidencaithness
02-Jan-07, 21:01
re value for money - went a run down to tesco today looking for some plain white t-shirts for printing on - asked a very helpful assistant for them and was told that tesco are stopping their value range

Their clothing in general has gone up in last year and ASDA is far better value. Just their way of paying for a new store or 2 by selling same stuff in different packaging for twice the price. Also don't stock things like infant shoes which we have to get online as no shops in Thurso or Wick stock any kind of range. Buy local, would if we could!

jay
02-Jan-07, 21:11
New look have stopped stocking larger sizes, Tesco in Inverness has also stopped although the Wick store still seems to have some, I think no matter how many shops open up here we're still going to have a poor selection of goods! THe shops open with great selections then after a few months stop half the lines because they don't sell in that particular area - shame tho'

dirdyweeker
02-Jan-07, 23:44
Are New Look not stopping the 'larger sizes' to bring in boys clothing in teenage sizes? A member of staff told me about two months ago that due to demand it was being considered. Sorry 'large ladies' but my 12 year old son would love clothes from New Look to fit him. Maybe that is why that size is being removed.......

spurtle
03-Jan-07, 11:54
Bought a pair of pyjamas in Tesco Inverness for £3 - well they were reduced from £5.
Shop at Tesco, Asda, New Look etc etc and support the slave trade in S.E. Asia.

Oh, this works with cheap supermarket chickens as well.

Doolally
03-Jan-07, 13:36
Bought a pair of pyjamas in Tesco Inverness for £3 - well they were reduced from £5.

If you're so against it, why did you buy them?

Cattach
03-Jan-07, 13:57

Dont worry, they are all catching up and we are slowly becoming the slaves. India owns Britsh Steel amongst other 'UK' businesses, the Call Centres are all going east, the Chinese are coming to Europe in force on holiday following the trail blazing of the Japs and South Koreans. Remember when Spain, Irish Republic etc were all poverty stricken compared to us - where are they now? above us in the wealth stakes.
Baltic Sates and Poland catching up fast and soon Bulgaria and Romania.
Not many years before we will be again making cheap shirts and socks!!!

bagpuss
03-Jan-07, 23:08
Mackays alias M&Co also appear to be changing the ranges they sell in each store.

Perhaps New Look have worked out that their biggest market is teenagers?

Primark appear to be on the way north too- watch this space- and they do cheap white t shirts

SEB
04-Jan-07, 22:45
It would be great if some shops up here did start to stock more teenage boys clothes. It's really difficult to get anything for boys over approx 10 years old up here. [evil]

mccaugm
04-Jan-07, 23:24
It would be great if some shops up here did start to stock more teenage boys clothes. It's really difficult to get anything for boys over approx 10 years old up here. [evil]

I hate to admit it but in the 15 months I have lived in Caithness I have only bought almost all my teenage childrens clothes from next online. Haven't tried Tescos clothing yet. I do buy their shoes up here as DE are quite reasonable.

SEB
05-Jan-07, 02:07
I hate to admit it but in the 15 months I have lived in Caithness I have only bought almost all my teenage childrens clothes from next online. Haven't tried Tescos clothing yet. I do buy their shoes up here as DE are quite reasonable.

I don't blame you!! You've probably had no choice but to buy online or elsewhere. I've been doing the same since my boys were young.