PDA

View Full Version : The Big Clothing Conspiracy

bagpuss
31-Dec-06, 00:30
I was looking through the new Next Directory the other day, and I noticed that where they used to do rather nice tailoring in pure new wool, that they are in fact offering exactly the same PVL stuff, in the same designs as:
New Look
Primark
Tesco
M&Co
M&S
H&M
Zara
Matalan

The goods are the same- the only difference is the prices on the label.
Who is ripping off whom?

DarkAngel
31-Dec-06, 00:34
I always find Next clothes seems to be alot better than New Looks or any other store. New looks clothes dont last a few washes and their mis-shaped, Next clothes always last for me anyway not sure bout anyone else. Next kids clothes is great aswell. :)

Piglet
31-Dec-06, 00:39
Have to agree with you there dark angel. Next clothes last far longer than the rest - especially the kids ones.:)

bagpuss
31-Dec-06, 00:40
New look is possibly the rejects from the other stores- but I have a jacket from Next in exactly the same fabric as I saw in Tesco and New look- was gutted- the Next one cost twice as much as the others. The whole point of these big stores is cutting the profit margin- preferred when next and M&S were better made than the others- but these days they're not

EDDIE
31-Dec-06, 09:46
The next shop targets younger people that want to pay more for a brand name Me personally i shop in primark and asda for cloths miles cheaper and for all you pay for the cloths if i got 6 months out it i would be happy my girlfriend will buy a top or dress out of asda to go on a night out cause its cheap for her because being typical woman she doesnt want to wear the same top or dress on a night out what she did on prevous night out because woman remember what other people worn in nights out i dont understand that i struggle to remember what i did a day ago never mind months ago.

rainbow
31-Dec-06, 12:06
All my NEXT clothes last, and the sizing appears realistic - if you order a size 12, you get a 12. If I want a 'fashion' item that I know will be out of fashion within a few months then I will buy the cheaper option at New look or Primark, as I know it will be tossed in the Blythswood bag within a year. must say I like the New Look jeans - sizing is also fine (just wish I was a size smaller!!) and they wash well, and price is good too.

emb123
31-Dec-06, 14:24
think it comes down to the tailoring and the effort involved in the making of the clothes.

Some of the clothing seems to have had the stitching done by the 'new girl' who hasn't yet mastered how to stitch seams that stay stitched after washing, or buttons that stay put.

Also think pre-washing and hanging the fabric prior to cutting and stitching it seems to matter. If a heavy fabric hasn't been pre-washed and hung for a time prior to cutting it will become a bit mis-shapen after a few washes however carefully you wash and dry it.

bagpuss
31-Dec-06, 19:22
Face it guys- the synthetic fabrics and poor workmanship mean only one thing- clothes are simply not meant to last beyond a season or two- we live in a disposable society- that's how the economy is kept afloat- it's the old codgers who hang on to their stuff and don't buy new who let society down.

After all- we have to do our bit to contribute to the 3rd World economies like China and Vietnam where your clothing- please note Eddie it has a 'e' and a 's' if you mean clothes - comes from

Spent today slinging £100 in the bin- the food I bought from Tesco and didn't eat- before the sell by date.

j4bberw0ck
01-Jan-07, 14:41
The goods are the same- the only difference is the prices on the label.
Who is ripping off whom?

Why is anyone ripping anyone off? It's a free(ish) country with a free(ish) market. Retailers can price goods at any level they want, and as a free(ish) consumer you can choose to buy or not buy from that retailer. Or you can decide to make them an offer which they will, or won't, accept.

If you advertised goods for sale in the newspaper and a Government Ripping-Off Prevention Inspector decided you were trying to rip people off and forced you to reduce the price, you'd probably feel pretty aggrieved.

In other words, since the alternative is price-fixing by diktat (the sort of thing that spectacularly failed in the former Communist bloc), stick with the choice. You'll be better off!

DarkAngel
01-Jan-07, 15:02
Spent today slinging £100 in the bin- the food I bought from Tesco and didn't eat- before the sell by date.

I have to agree with you there Bagpuss i did a simalr thing a few weeks ago..Luckily most of the things i bought could br frozen in the freezer so lost about 20 quid!! Grrr..Must check the dates before i buy!!!