PDA

View Full Version : When to die?

Angel
26-Jan-13, 17:19
I watched an old documentary last week about the rising age limit and the average age of death.

Research into all issues relating to longevity suggests that the first person to reach the age of 200 has already been born.

Is this to long to live and could the planet support this?

Proportionatly, the retiring age would be raise to about 150.

What are your thoughts on this...

Angel...

joxville
26-Jan-13, 17:26
200 years is far too long to live, even 100 years is too much. I personally feel we should hit the boneyard when we're about 85. It may seem harsh but what can those living to an old age contribute to society, apart from knowledge? They'll just be a burden on whatever social services are available in the future. I can see a future that is Soylent Green! :~(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Southern-Gal
26-Jan-13, 17:50
If the Jehovahs Witnesses are to be believed we are all capable of living forever pretty much like Lazarus :)

Seriously though I agree about 85 is a good innings but wonder if Im alive, really healthy and happy at 80 will I think 85 is too young?
Very much depends on the individual, their health and circumstances. Some people believe we can choose when to die to a certain extent.

billmoseley
26-Jan-13, 17:54
I agree 85 is a good age to shed a mortal coil. That is if you fit and healthy. The world is struggling now with the population and the older the population gets the more we will struggle. Don't ask me for the answer because there isn't an easy one i don't think.

feda16
26-Jan-13, 17:58
I think older people contribute more to society than we think, pretty sure i read in the Daily Mail the other day that a lady at 100 years old still runs a shop on her own down south some where. We now say that someone dieing in their sixties is young because of modern medicine. Soon 80's will be a young time to die if cancer or any other diseases dont get you first.

pat
26-Jan-13, 18:02
I personally would not like to live to 100.

Have known many who have lived to this age, oldest was 108, all have asked why they have been left behind when all loved ones and friends have gone whilst younger ones are taken before life has begun for them.

The person who was 108 was all there mentally but physically frail, pleaded with everyone to help end existence, died shortly after turning 109.

If I was mentally with it but physically not able I think I would prefer not to be functioning at all.

If I was mentally not aware/able I would prefer not to be a burden on people having to care for me.

Age does not enter into my equation.

Kodiak
26-Jan-13, 18:08
Simply put..........The correct time to Die is when you Stop Breathing !

macadamia
26-Jan-13, 18:19
A dear old friend of mine (I was 18 at the time) was a very much retired vicar who was 89 years old, and whose great-nephew was my best pal at boarding school. He used to invite us round for Sunday tea. He had lived a long and interesting life. On the wall of his study was a telegram from the Battle of Jutland which he had received as a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, announcing the end of hostilities in World War One. (He had temporarily resigned his Holy Orders so he could fight properly!). In his last year he was busy with a History of Clapham, which he was writing in a spidery longhand, in a chair with cannons carved as armrests, a chair made out of the wood from HMS Victory. He played Spillikins with us, gave us hot buttered crumpets, and one day told us the most awful secret.

"Boys, is smoking bad for your health?"

We were teenagers. Men of the world. I looked at Robert, he at me, and we came up with a sort of answer.

"Well, Sir, it depends on how many you smoke....?"

"I have never smoked before in my life, but...." He walked to an old chest of drawers, and removed from the top drawer a packet of 10 Embassy. Inside were 3 and a half cigarettes...."I now like to smoke half a cigarette a day. Do you think that is in order?"

"We almost died giggling. "Er, yes, Sir, that should be alright!"

Later that autumn afternoon, with a carpet of russet leaves on the path, and that lovely, all-embracing cool dampness on our faces, we took our leave. The 89 year old closet smoker came to the door to see us off, and I asked him about his plans.

"Oh, he said, in a comfortable way. " I think I shall see this Christmas through, and then I'll go in the spring"

And he did. Peacefully, in his sleep.

Can't think of a better way......

billmoseley
26-Jan-13, 18:32
Simply put..........The correct time to Dis is when you Stop Breathing ! i'm not so sure these days don't they have to check your brain stem before they pronounce you dead lololol

ducati
26-Jan-13, 18:33
Personally I am aiming to live forever. So far So good. ;)

Gizmo
26-Jan-13, 18:53
You only get to do it once, so I'm a big fan of trying to live as long as bloomin possible. Being deed isnay high up on my list of priorities.

squidge
26-Jan-13, 19:03
Here we are.... All of us younger than 85 I rather think lol. I am sure that on 19th January 2049, the day before my 85th birthday I shall be wanting to live til im 86 and then 87 and then 88 and so on. As long as I am comfortable and warm I cant imagine not wanting just one more day to see my children and grandchildren, hold their hands, see their smiles. I have told my children not ever to think about switching me off, I will always want just one more day with them all.

Alrock
26-Jan-13, 19:17

For once I am actually in agreement with you.... :eek:

billmoseley
26-Jan-13, 19:34
I will live as long as my wife tells me i can :lol:

M Swanson
26-Jan-13, 19:47
When my time has come. Not a day before, or a day after. Meanwhile I'm enjoying life! :cool:

Flynn
27-Jan-13, 10:30
200 years is far too long to live, even 100 years is too much. I personally feel we should hit the boneyard when we're about 85. It may seem harsh but what can those living to an old age contribute to society, apart from knowledge? They'll just be a burden on whatever social services are available in the future. I can see a future that is Soylent Green! :~(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Say that when you're 84 yrs and 364 days old. ;)

joxville
27-Jan-13, 12:51
Say that when you're 84 yrs and 364 days old. ;)Since my teenage years I've thought 85yrs is long enough, 30 years later I still feel the same way; so I might be fortunate to live that long to find out :-)

Corrie 3
27-Jan-13, 13:30
I will live as long as my wife tells me i can :lol:
Made me laugh Bill......:lol::lol:

C3.

poppett
27-Jan-13, 14:18
Live every day as if it is your last, because some day it will be.

Your time will come when God pulls your raffle ticket number, and your heart stops beating.

George Brims
28-Jan-13, 20:29
I have that on a T-shirt!

George Brims
28-Jan-13, 20:31
I sometimes repeat to the Mrs what Pooh said to Piglet: "I hope you live to 100, and I live to 100 less one day, so I never have to spend a day without you".