PDA

View Full Version : Travel in the 1800's

Andy mac
30-Dec-06, 21:26
Hi All

Does anyone now when the first trains came to Reay ? My 2nd great Grandfather was born and lived in Argyll and met and married his wife from Reay. On November 5, 1858. The place name on the marrige certificate is actual Chilsey, Sutherland, Caithness. I can’t find Chilsey on any maps.
I have wondered how they got to meet. Was there a boat service, I expect travel by land then would have been a long trek. My ancestor was a school teacher, was there any colleges in Caithness. Other wise I can see no reason for him to travel all that way.

many thanks

fred
30-Dec-06, 23:25
Hi All

Does anyone now when the first trains came to Reay ? My 2nd great Grandfather was born and lived in Argyll and met and married his wife from Reay. On November 5, 1858. The place name on the marrige certificate is actual Chilsey, Sutherland, Caithness. I can’t find Chilsey on any maps.
I have wondered how they got to meet. Was there a boat service, I expect travel by land then would have been a long trek. My ancestor was a school teacher, was there any colleges in Caithness. Other wise I can see no reason for him to travel all that way.

many thanks

Chilsey is on the A897 between Dalhavaig and Craigtown.

The train would have stopped at Forsinard station just south of there but not untill 1874.

There were 5 schools in the Parish of Reay in 1845.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/reay.jpg

Angela
01-Jan-07, 12:41
My grandparents moved down from Caithness to Leith in 1904. My Mum mentioned travelling back north by boat (?The St Clair) and also, apparently by stagecoach!
Does anybody have any info that connects with this? I must say, stagecoach sounds incredible to me, but my Mum said she remembered the journey, right down to her little buttoned boots...

Andy mac
01-Jan-07, 21:22
Thanks for the information Fred
My 2x great-grandfather Gilbert MacIntyre was a general Assembly teacher, not sure how the assembly schools where run.
He was born in 1826 Lagganmore, Kilninver, Argyll and married Margaret Fraser from Reay. His brother Duncan was also a teacher.
I haven’t checked the census records for Reay to see if Gilbert was there teaching all I have is that he died 1864 at Ledaig school.
Thanks also for the location of Chilsey, and the information on the train’s.

Andy mac
01-Jan-07, 22:56
Chilsey is on the A897 between Dalhavaig and Craigtown.

The train would have stopped at Forsinard station just south of there but not untill 1874.

There were 5 schools in the Parish of Reay in 1845.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/reay.jpg
My 2x great-grandfather Gilbert MacIntyre was a general Assembly teacher, not sure how the assembly schools where run.
He was born in 1826 Lagganmore, Kilninver, Argyll and married Margaret Fraser from Reay. His brother Duncan was also a teacher.
I haven’t checked the census records for Reay to see if Gilbert was there teaching there all I have is that he died 1864 at Ledaig school.
Regards Andy Mac

fred
02-Jan-07, 00:54
My grandparents moved down from Caithness to Leith in 1904. My Mum mentioned travelling back north by boat (?The St Clair) and also, apparently by stagecoach!
Does anybody have any info that connects with this? I must say, stagecoach sounds incredible to me, but my Mum said she remembered the journey, right down to her little buttoned boots...

I don't think she would have travelled to Caithness by stagecoach but once here she could well have travelled by coach, motor busses didn't take off till the 20s and 30s.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/stage.jpg

Angela
02-Jan-07, 11:21
I don't think she would have travelled to Caithness by stagecoach but once here she could well have travelled by coach, motor busses didn't take off till the 20s and 30s.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/stage.jpg
Thanks Fred, that could well be what she meant.
Thanks for the photo as well -the train must have been a much more comfortable way to travel!

Andy mac
02-Jan-07, 22:17
I haven’t checked the census records for Reay to see if Gilbert was there teaching, all I have is that he died 1864 at Ledaig school. Perhaps the assembly teachers where sent around Scotland as needed.
Andy Mac

Errogie
22-Feb-07, 20:49
My father's cousin Gertie Blyth (Swanson) used to talk about going over the old Ord cliff top road in a horse drawn coach and I guess that would have been near the end of the 19th. century.

She also regaled us with a tale of breaking into the Earl of Caithness's tomb, I think in Wick and playing football with his skull. I'm afraid we have had a genetic disrespect for the aristocracy since the Sutherland clearances.

Alex. Sutherland