PDA

View Full Version : Petty crime in Wick

bagpuss
30-Dec-06, 20:22
Anyone else had their pocket picked in Wick town centre today?

I had a tenner in my back pocket- and after being jostled by some strange looking bods on Bridge street, it was gone. (Just lucky they didn't go for the jacket pocket- which had the keys and mobile in it) Word to the wise- I've managed to avoid this in London, Italy, Paris and Glasgow- so how the hell did it happen here?

iain
31-Dec-06, 01:58
My wife got a plastic card taken from her pocket on Friday,got it cancelled pretty quick.

Lucy
31-Dec-06, 10:37
i would report all thefts to the Police. they may not be able to do much to get your money or cards back but if they check on the cctv at least they may be able to pinpoint those who jostled you and keep an eye of them to prevent it happening to anyone else. thank you both for highlighting this, i am very bad about looking after my purse etc, but i will be a lot more careful and vigilant now.:(

Kolskegg
31-Dec-06, 10:43
Thanks for posting this.

I lived in London for four years and never fell victim to a pick pocket. It's a real shame having to be more wary than usual.

johno
31-Dec-06, 10:56
Anyone else had their pocket picked in Wick town centre today?

I had a tenner in my back pocket- and after being jostled by some strange looking bods on Bridge street, it was gone. (Just lucky they didn't go for the jacket pocket- which had the keys and mobile in it) Word to the wise- I've managed to avoid this in London, Italy, Paris and Glasgow- so how the hell did it happen here? Bagpuss, im sorry to hear you were a victim of this low form of theft. it,s almost unbelievable that this kind of thing has happened here in the highlands, what is happening here ,is this drug related or what. i recall a time not that many years ago when you could leave your front door open when you went out. not any more im afraid
sorry about your tenner . make you more careful in the future though
[disgust] ?

bagpuss
31-Dec-06, 19:25
Just glad they didn't get the keys.

Crime free Highlands? Anyone care to guess numbers of ex-cons out on licence who've moved to the Highlands lately? Don't just lock your doors- folks- look at the number of properties on Thurso Road that now have burglar alarms- and need them.

But then again- that's progress for you

danc1ngwitch
31-Dec-06, 20:24
This angers me a little to take what does not belong to you,
to take from another regardless if the the person they are taking from needs it for their small children or elderly parent.
If they come to you in the street and they struggle with you and you pop them in the eye they will get compinsation.
Best drag them round the corner first and have them beg for forgivness.. ( wow i turned mean lol ) anyway its not fair.. dirty sleeze balls. May some one mend their ways, M I B ( no not men in black ) lol... [lol]

emb123
31-Dec-06, 22:05
that's really terrible - sorry you had that happen - but glad for your sake it wasn't a more serious amount.

I've never had my pocket picked but I'm always wary of the possibility and always keep valuables in inside pockets.

Worth passing on the warning to everyone you think might benefit from it.

It is to be hoped that they'll get fingered themselves by the strong arm of the law and hopefully before they cause serious distress to some poor soul.

You mentioned that they were stange looking - can you bring to mind in what way they might be memorable?

(The oddest similar thing that happened to me was one of my first jobs years ago when I worked in a kiosk on a railway station and a chap tried to buy a pack of Polos with a fake £50 note. It was a really bad fake, but the most striking thing was his attutude - he was cocky and arrogant and worth a primose yellow suit with a bright lilac kipper-tie. The combination was really loud and so horrible that I was busy thinking how awful his clothes were and taking his money so that it didn't occur to me to be suspicious when he was buying a 7p item for a £50 note. I only twigged because the paper felt furry as I handled it. Maybe distraction is how they do it - perhaps several people at once, doing strange things or dressed strangely.)

Hope they get arrested soon. Doing that is wrong, however great their need.

obiron
31-Dec-06, 22:40
thats terrible. must make sure i use a bag with a zip now which is really a good excuse to buy a new one. not bought one for a few weeks.

jinglejangle
31-Dec-06, 22:45
my credit card has just been cancelled .... no not because of the hugh amount of christmas spending lol but because someone was 'testing' the card and the credit card company's computer picked the testing up as suspicioius and phoned me. they ran through things which the card had tried to buy and none of them were things related to me. i haven't even lost my card but the number could have been picked up from me using in shops etc. luckily the only thing that got purchased was a CD for £7.99 but that has now been credited. They can't trace the people doing this.... its not fair!

bagpuss
31-Dec-06, 23:41
I suppose we should be philosophical- 20 years ago if you even dropped 5p, it would have been handed in to the police station so the owner could claim it back.

This is the sort of thing we dread happening to an old frail person- I'm still reasonably fit and capable of defending myself-so i suppose it is a case of every one for themself.

I was more annoyed that someone got their hand on my bum and I didn't even notice it!

Boozeburglar
01-Jan-07, 00:12
20 years ago you would probably hand in a 10 or a 20 to the Police, let us not paint the past with too much rose tint!

DarkAngel
01-Jan-07, 01:32
Oh No JingleJangle thats quite scary to think that someone is using you card...I always buy things from the internet and also always use my card when i shop and to think that someone else can access this info is scary!!

bosco
01-Jan-07, 02:39
if you catch who ever is doing this do what they do in some countries cut their hands off and they wont do that crime again:cool:

horse
01-Jan-07, 07:37
my credit card has just been cancelled .... no not because of the hugh amount of christmas spending lol but because someone was 'testing' the card and the credit card company's computer picked the testing up as suspicioius and phoned me. they ran through things which the card had tried to buy and none of them were things related to me. i haven't even lost my card but the number could have been picked up from me using in shops etc. luckily the only thing that got purchased was a CD for £7.99 but that has now been credited. They can't trace the people doing this.... its not fair!

same thing happened to us the only thing we could had happened was that we put some paper to be recycled and they got the numbers that way. Now have a shredder

Alice in Blunderland
01-Jan-07, 10:35
Its a sad fact that this is becoming more and more common. We have had our card clonned and the money was well gone by the time the police became involved. They reckon it was done by a member of staff in a store and this gave them access to our card to swipe it twice.....the rest is history. They took cash from our account on a few occasions. The bank refunded it but it was the hassle of cancelling the card and going to the police staion and the bank for interviews. :~(

rockchick
01-Jan-07, 12:34
The credit card thing happened to me once. I'd only ever used the card once, to buy a meal at Mackays hotel, then a couple of weeks later I got a call from the credit card company as someone was purchasing some rather expensive electronic gadgets and the delivery address was different from the billing address.

Anyways, they did catch the person who did this - probably because my card was used so little they could pinpoint when and where the transactions occurred - and it was some female down in either Manchester or Birmingham area, with a record sheet as long as your arm.

EDDIE
01-Jan-07, 13:49
Believe it or not if someone finds lost property on the street and hands it into the police by law they are intitled to a reward from the person that lost it its very small percentage of the lost item probably not worth enforcing.
About 6 year ago i went out to my work in the morning and put my wallet onto of the roof of my car so i could open the door my hand was full at the time and stupiditly drove of leaveing my wallet on the roof off the car i had £40 and a bank card and credit card in my wallet i phoned the police and believe it or not a young lad at school found it and handed it in to the police thats how i knew about the reward which i said at the start .So what i did i had £40 in my wallet so i gave the young lad the £40 in my wallet i didnt have to give him that much the only reason i gave him that was to show him that it paid to do the correct thing rather than keeping the money and throwing the wallet away.

danc1ngwitch
01-Jan-07, 16:23
my young lad found a mobile phone handed it in that was some time ago. the police man came to the door to thank my son and to say the phone was returned to the owner. The owner promised my son a reward which he looked forward to .. and looked forward to .. and looked forward to it.. now he is older and he still is very honest.. dispite no reward...

percy toboggan
01-Jan-07, 21:39
I once found a purse lying in the co-op car park c. 1985. I traced the owner and she was delighted to have her purse, and her three hubndred quid back intact. She offered me a twenty as a reward. Sorry to disppoint, but I took it, and spent it on beer !

Three years ago I found a purse with forty quid in it. I again traced the owner, took it ROUND TO HER HOUSE!! handed it to her and didn't even get a thank-you. She was mute, and I'd traced her addy through a disability card. She did smile a lot though - which mad emy efforts more than worthwhile.

If I ever find a purse with a huge amount of money ie. over a hundred grand in it. I shall keep schtum. Figuring if the owner is so flippin' careless I deserve it more for it than they do.

p.s. it's only thru' posting little vignettes like this that I realise what a rich and varied life I've led. Sometimes it's easy to forget :-)