PDA

View Full Version : Old thurso bakery??

nevergiveup
24-Jan-13, 23:26
Does anyone remember a bakery opposite the old Duke street in Thurso behind Robert Dicks house area?I have vague memories of the aroma! or am i dreaming!
It would be 1950s era!

rogermellie
25-Jan-13, 00:53
don't remember the bakery, but i know for a fact that, as a tribute to the old days, Reid's cafe has always refused to update or spend a penny (excuse the pun) on their customer toilets

(i hear even the towel is an original)

joxville
25-Jan-13, 01:33
You may be correct in that NGU, this thread in the photography section may be of interest and help: http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?28034-Old-Thirsa-Piccys&p=235634&highlight=Bakery#post235634

nevergiveup
25-Jan-13, 11:52
Thanks for that joxi! However come on you old Thursa natives someone still living must remember!! Think it would be where Couper Terrace now stands and that was built 1955 era!

Scunner
25-Jan-13, 18:03
The Co-op bakery was in that area before it moved to the town end of Durness Street.

nevergiveup
25-Jan-13, 19:08
Thank you! I remember the Co-op bakery quite well. Just remember the fresh bread smell from the old one as i was just a bairn then! Maybe someone has memories of relatives who worked there?

Swannie
25-Jan-13, 23:38
As I used to pass Co-op bakery in Swanson Street daily I remember the lovely smells from it. My father was also the bakers' union secretary and collected dues from the workers and I recall being inside while he did this. He did not work there tho'. I remember a couple of people who worked there but would need their permission first to say who they were.

joxville
26-Jan-13, 02:19
I remember a couple of people who worked there but would need their permission first to say who they were.Well that must be a first for Caithness, not naming names! :-)))

sinclairm
01-Feb-13, 23:41
The Co-op bakery was beside,not behind, Robert Dick House. The row of houses on the left of Robert Dick House as you look at it from the front were built on the site of an old police station and the bakery. The side wall of the bakery on the Robert Dick side had a black sooty mark from the oven which I remember seeing from the garden of Robert Dick House.