PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Sutherland lineage Dunnet

kenmar
24-Jan-13, 02:33
SutherlandsDunnet Caithness, looking for assistance with establishing family lineage
My Grandmotherwas Christina Campbell nee Sutherland born in Thurso Caithness (1884-1951)
Her parents beingDavid Sutherland, born Dunnet, (1853-1917) and Christina Sutherland nee Budge, born Thurso (1857-1889)
David Sutherlands parents William Sutherland, born Dunnet,(1808-1874) and Isabella Sutherland nee Mowat, born Canisbay, (1808-1890)
William Sutherlands parents AlexanderSutherland, born possibly Dunnet (circa 1780-1850) and Margaret Sutherland nee Rosie, born possibly Dunnet (circa1780-1850).
We have located a notice of birth for anAlexanders Sutherland 25th Jan 1774 Dunnet, parents reported asDonald Sutherland and Euph Malcolm, if that is our Alexander Sutherland then hewould be about 40 when son William born. Likewise for Margaret a notice ofbirth for Margaret Roasie 15th April 1775 Dunnet, parents reportedas John Roasie and Elspet Stout, if our Margaret she would be about 39 whenWilliam born.
Would like tohear from anyone with lineage connections to the Sutherland mentioned above.Particular reference any confirmation on the parents of Alexander and Margaret birth place and date?

Rosemary Skea
29-Jan-13, 23:07
I have no connection to this particular line - I do have Alexander Sutherland 1727-1798 & Eliz Miller 1723-1790 in my family tree, but I can't find a link to your Alexander. William Sutherland and Isabella Mowat and family are evident in all the census info and on two occasions William's brother James is living with them. I searched the 1841 census for parents Alexander Sutherland and Margaret Roasie and found neither which would indicate that they were both deceased prior to that date. Back another generation to Donald Sutherland and Euphan Malcolm. Looking at the naming pattern in the families I think you are on the right track. The recording of births in Dunnet began in 1751 but there was no legal requirement to do so. For some reason marriage records do not begin until 1802. I did a quick search of the MMI for Dunnet and Corsbank but found no trace of the family either.

Check census information on FREECEN and also Old Parish registers on FREEREG - both free to view. If I can be of any help, feel free to contact me - my email address is on the FREEREG Caithness page.

Kind regards
Rosemary Skea

FREEREG co-ordinator Caithness