PDA

View Full Version : Model kits

bilbobaggins
23-Jan-13, 19:00
Hi iam building a VIIC wolfpack 1/72 scale im planing of weathering it but never did it before can some on give me tips and best stuff to use

old springparker
24-Jan-13, 22:33
Hi iam building a VIIC wolfpack 1/72 scale im planing of weathering it but never did it before can some on give me tips and best stuff to use Useful modelling forum here -http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/index.php

TotsinPiiper
11-Apr-13, 16:05
Most of these little kits are not designed to be exposed to outdoor conditions, and so I would not recommend trying to weather them. Perhaps you could test first by floating your model in the bath or the kitchen sink first. Thanks.

Shaggy
11-Apr-13, 18:29
Most of these little kits are not designed to be exposed to outdoor conditions, and so I would not recommend trying to weather them. Perhaps you could test first by floating your model in the bath or the kitchen sink first. Thanks.

What Bilbo means is not to put the models outside but to build and paint the models, then add "weathering" details such as rust marks, paint wear & damage, oils stains and such like. Its usually done by either drybrushing where you use a wide stiff model brush and put just a little paint on it and lightly drag it over the surface of the model. The paint catches on the raised and details parts thus highlighting or weathering them or by wet brushing where the paint is very thin and you apply it liberally all over the stain the model. The mixture usually sits in crevices etc and makes them darker. If you do this first then drybrush the model, it can look very realistic if done right

Pedro Hopper
11-Apr-13, 20:10
I remember painting little men when I was a lad. I could never get the hang of the wheatering look so most of mine ended up just plain colours! Was good fun though, if I remember correctly!!!

papigoeloon
21-Jun-13, 19:58
some detailing on weathering on www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk