PDA

View Full Version : British woman sentenced to death in Bali

billmoseley
22-Jan-13, 16:06
I have just read on the BBC news page that a British woman has been sentenced to death for smuggling drugs. The British government has condemned the sentence. But i feel if you break the laws of the country you are travelling too then you should also be prepared to face their sentences if caught. I would be interested to see what other people think.

starfish
22-Jan-13, 16:13
i agree not only with drugs vut if you break any law you have to face the music, peopel know what they are doing and should know right from wrong

golach
22-Jan-13, 16:13
I have just read on the BBC news page that a British woman has been sentenced to death for smuggling drugs. The British government has condemned the sentence. But i feel if you break the laws of the country you are travelling too then you should also be prepared to face their sentences if caught. I would be interested to see what other people think.

There is an old saying "If you cannot do the time,do not do the crime" I was a Merchant seaman, and before arriving in a new country, we always tried to learn the things that were tabboo and what was not.

Dman
22-Jan-13, 16:15
I feel if you are going to play with fire then you should accept that you could be burnt, unfortunately this lady got burnt.If you commit a crime in whatever country you are going to be bound by their laws, they make the rules you play by them.

Southern-Gal
22-Jan-13, 17:24
Agree that if you cant do the time..........but I also think we learn from our mistakes and unfortunately this lady will not have the opportunity.
Nobody knows what sort of life she had to make the choices she did but if any good comes of it then hopefully other British people will see that our government cant just get them out of any hole they find themselves in as I think some people travelling to other countries sometimes assume.
Cant help but feel sorry for her though and her family, they didnt all do the crime but they do all lose a relative and have to deal with the after effects of her folly.

mi16
22-Jan-13, 17:38
She would (or should) have known the score before she did it.
She wont be doing it again anyway!

pat
22-Jan-13, 19:05
It has been well published in the press the punishment for smuggling drugs in many countries, she took the chance knowing the risk of being caught, has to take the punishment and penalties.

Similar to some of the countries with no alcohol rules, people try to break these rules and are not happy when they are penalised for trying to break those countries rules.

Each country should be allowed to treat ANY VISITOR breaking THEIR country's laws in the way they treat their own residents - no matter from which country the visitor is normally resident, this information should be irrelevant.

Rheghead
22-Jan-13, 19:21
It'll never happen, there'll be a deal behind the scenes which will greatly benefit persons unknown who least need it.

ducati
22-Jan-13, 20:18
So from a country contemplating legalising drug use, we get tough luck!

I wish the UK would take it so seriously.

Maybe it will give pause to all those who think the odd splif does no harm hey?

pat
22-Jan-13, 21:26
Agree with you too Rheghead a deal will probably be done and she will probably do a very short time in UK prison.

Agree with you too Ducati wish UK would decide what they are going to do. If they do a deal and this person is returned to UK and released it is sending out messages to say it is alright to deal in drugs and break any law in any country, the UK government will assist you get off with your crime and the ensuing sentence.

Phill
22-Jan-13, 21:45
Good to see Daily Wail itis still alive and kicking.
Our social empathy is working well alongside our open mindedness and ability to question.

How many have signed up to be the firing squad?

starfish
22-Jan-13, 21:45
what annoys me if a drug smuggler is caught coming into this country they get a sentence, which us tax payers pay for then they are deported,

Southern-Gal
22-Jan-13, 23:51
If she has to have the death sentence the firing squad is just wrong!
Surely in this day and age someone sentenced to death should be given the option of taking suicide drugs so its painless, quick and private?

mi16
23-Jan-13, 00:00
the law is the law
a bullet to the head is reputedly painless

Dadie
23-Jan-13, 00:37
If you think the risk is worth it...you should be aware of the sentence /punishment if caught...
If you object to the punishment ....its simples ...dont do the crime!
As for those that commit drug smuggling crimes coming into the country.....if their counnty has a harsher sentence deport them to their own prison system!...and as for those silly enough to swallow the drugs (for laxatives to push the parcels out) if the package is detective ...well its death!..

crashbandicoot1979
23-Jan-13, 11:07
OK so lets kill her by firing squad while the gang behind the whole thing remain at large, and will lure some other individual to do their dirty work? Yes, she should be punished because whether she's vulnerable or not, she played a part, but killing her will serve no purpose because the gang behind it will ALWAYS find other weak individuals to traffick for them so its not going to deter others from doing it. If they can't find willing mules, they'll force people into it with blackmail and threats. She's being used as a scapegoat and she doesn't deserve a bullet in the head for it. If what's reported is true, she has a history of mental health issues and was blackmailed into it. Also, she hardly has the lifestyle of a drug baron. Shooting her won't solve any problems and it WON'T make people think twice about drug trafficking.

Retread
23-Jan-13, 11:11
OK so lets kill her by firing squad while the gang behind the whole thing remain at large, and will lure some other individual to do their dirty work? Yes, she should be punished because whether she's vulnerable or not, she played a part, but killing her will serve no purpose because the gang behind it will ALWAYS find other weak individuals to traffick for them so its not going to deter others from doing it. If they can't find willing mules, they'll force people into it with blackmail and threats. She's being used as a scapegoat and she doesn't deserve a bullet in the head for it. If what's reported is true, she has a history of mental health issues and was blackmailed into it. Also, she hardly has the lifestyle of a drug baron. Shooting her won't solve any problems and it WON'T make people think twice about drug trafficking.

But on the plus side there will be one less drug mule around. She knew the risks, she pays the price that the law there requires. It's not about discouraging people to do it it's about making sure those that do cant get out to do it again.

Kasper King
23-Jan-13, 12:16
I had this argument with my mum many years ago about taking bilbles into the old CCCP. It is the laws of the country you are going into that you have broken so you will have to pay the price in that country.

"what annoys me if a drug smuggler is caught coming into this country they get a sentence, which us tax payers pay for then they are deported"
Starfish, trust me, the vast majority of drug mules niked coming into the UK claim Human Rights to avoid being sent back to there home countries so we pick up a far bigger bill! The drug laws in the UK are a mess. If you are famous you get let off, Joe average with the same amount 2-5 years inside!
Anyone caught selling, importing or using any illegal drugs should be exicuted.

jacko
24-Jan-13, 15:47
although i feel pity for her i cant help but think that she should have thought of the consequences before she tried to smuggle drugs.

Gizmo
24-Jan-13, 16:53
the law is the law
a bullet to the head is reputedly painless

http://whitewraithe.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/facepalm.jpg?w=482

Gizmo
24-Jan-13, 17:00
Anyone caught selling, importing or using any illegal drugs should be exicuted.

Good grief. No wonder this world is so messed up when people have attitudes as ridiculous as that. I'm sure you wouldn't be so quick to condem someone to death for using drugs if they were a member of your family.

What is wrong with you people?

Rheghead
24-Jan-13, 17:06
What is wrong with you people?

OK, I'll turn the thing around.

What is wrong with a person who risks having his life ended over importing drugs? You saying even that deterrent is not strong enough?

Gizmo
24-Jan-13, 17:17
OK, I'll turn the thing around.

What is wrong with a person who risks having his life ended over importing drugs? You saying even that deterrent is not strong enough?

The Death Penalty has never been a deterrent for any crime. America has some of the toughest sentencing rules in the western world, and look at the amount of murders it has each year.

Rheghead
24-Jan-13, 17:31
The Death Penalty has never been a deterrent for any crime. America has some of the toughest sentencing rules in the western world, and look at the amount of murders it has each year.

What would be a deterrent then?

golach
24-Jan-13, 17:47

She was sentenced for drug smuggling, not for murder, and it was in Bali, not the USA. But I would class drug smugglers the same as murderers, but thats just my opinion.

series2A
24-Jan-13, 18:02
But how many people has the death penalty dettered.

Years ago on one of those daytime shows they had some little hooligan who had a list as long as your arm for robbery, assualt, drugs ect, and all the fines and threats of prison had done nothing to stop him. The host asked him if been flogged would stop him, the yob said that nothing would stop him as he was hard and felt no pain.
Not long after that was aired another english hooligan had been caught in Thialand spraying paint on public walls and had been sentenced to 10 lashes. He was shown on TV in prison crying his eyes out and begging the british goverment to do something to stop this barbaric punishment, he said that if he had been caught in the UK spraying paint all he would of got would have been a small fine.
A lot of people talk big or have the attitude that they wont get caught, but when they do, then the water works start and it's not their fault it's everybody elses.

Gizmo
24-Jan-13, 18:22
She was sentenced for drug smuggling, not for murder, and it was in Bali, not the USA. But I would class drug smugglers the same as murderers, but thats just my opinion.

Well, thankfully you're just a nobody, that has no influence in such matters.

Gizmo
24-Jan-13, 18:34
What would be a deterrent then?

For some people, there is no deterrent. Desperate people will use desperate measures. I don't know what caused this woman to do what she did, but she obviously wasn't thinking straight, and she's certainly not the head of the snake, far from it. She's been used and manipulated by others. She coperated with the authorities to catch others involved, so a lengthly prison sentence would have been more than enough punishment.

You armchair judge and juries, your thirst for vengeance makes me sick.

golach
24-Jan-13, 20:06

All I can say if I am a nobody in your eyes...................it takes one to know one, and likewise your opinions are of little use.

cptdodger
24-Jan-13, 21:10

And neither do you Gizmo. Everybody is entitled to their opinion whether you agree with it or not, there was no need for that. Personally I think she deserves everything she gets, was she upset ? of course she was, she got caught. You clearly have no idea the damage that amount of drugs would have caused had she succeeded. And I am not just talking about the damage done to drug addicts, I am talking about the families of addicts, they go through an absolute nightmare.

I was a security manager for Tesco's in Kent, 95% of my shoplifters were addicts, they are the most violent, vile creatures you can come across. Harsh ? maybe, but put it this way, the staff at Medway Hospital in Chatham and I were on first name terms, as it seemed because I was the nasty person that was stopping the little cherubs getting their next fix, they delighted in using me as their punchbag. I have also seen first hand, families destroyed by these selfish, selfish people, like the mother who used her 13 yr old daughter as a prostitute, so she could get money for drugs (I caught the child stealing condoms)

I have no sympathy at all for addicts - dealers - or mules - they get what they deserve, and remember Gizmo, neither I or Golach passed this sentence. However, like Golach I am just a nobody, so my opinion counts for nothing.

Rheghead
24-Jan-13, 21:19
If drugs were legalised, would you still have a problem, cptdodger?

cptdodger
24-Jan-13, 21:43
If drugs were legalised, would you still have a problem, cptdodger?

I am trying to think how to answer this, that will make any sense ! - I smoke (nicotine, you will agree is a drug) I walk into a shop and buy cigarettes. To do this I do not have to shoplift, burgle a house, or steal from my family and friends. I just walk into a shop and buy them. The problem I have with drug addicts is how they go about paying for the drugs, and what they do to obtain them. I have no idea how much drugs cost, but I am not entirely sure legalising drugs would bring the cost of them down, so as the majority of the addicts I dealt with were unemployed would legalising drugs change anything? I doubt they would be able to afford them legal or not, so the problem would still probably be there.

Southern-Gal
24-Jan-13, 22:16
There is a programme on death row on TV right now with Trevor McDonald. Not nice viewing.

squidge
24-Jan-13, 22:28
I am trying to think how to answer this, that will make any sense ! - I smoke (nicotine, you will agree is a drug) I walk into a shop and buy cigarettes. To do this I do not have to shoplift, burgle a house, or steal from my family and friends. I just walk into a shop and buy them. The problem I have with drug addicts is how they go about paying for the drugs, and what they do to obtain them. I have no idea how much drugs cost, but I am not entirely sure legalising drugs would bring the cost of them down, so as the majority of the addicts I dealt with were unemployed would legalising drugs change anything? I doubt they would be able to afford them legal or not, so the problem would still probably be there.

If drugs were legalised though - you could just walk into a shop and buy them.... or get them on prescription, you wouldnt have to deal with low life gangsters who delight in the power they wield over those addicted. If drugs were legalised then you wouldnt have a criminal record from smoking a joint or buying heroin so you might be able to get a job. If drugs were legalised then the power crazed pushers would nt be offering "freebies to kids to get them hooked on something stronger or stronger or stronger until they cant manage their addiction.

Just for the record I dont know whether legalisation would make a difference but I think its a conversation that society needs to have and isnt doing. We are trying to solve the problem we have with drugs by avoiding examining all the options. Thats like trying to get somewhere by avoiding right turns - you often just find yourself going round in a circle.

golach
24-Jan-13, 23:14
If drugs were legalised though - you could just walk into a shop and buy them.... or get them on prescription, you wouldnt have to deal with low life gangsters who delight in the power they wield over those addicted. If drugs were legalised then you wouldnt have a criminal record from smoking a joint or buying heroin so you might be able to get a job. If drugs were legalised then the power crazed pushers would nt be offering "freebies to kids to get them hooked on something stronger or stronger or stronger until they cant manage their addiction. .

Squidge are you as naive as you make out? Cigarettes and spirits are legal in this country, and are part of the biggest criminal money earner in the UK, bootleg goods being sold openly every where. Do you actually think, if drugs were legalised, that the crime cartels would stop their evil trading and change their ways? I think not!!!!

Rheghead
24-Jan-13, 23:22
How about a trial period of legalising drugs in Scotland for 5 years? Could it be worth a trial, not knowing an alternative for another 50 years might be too much of a price to pay.

golach
24-Jan-13, 23:25
How about a trial period of legalising drugs in Scotland for 5 years? Could it be worht a trial, not knowing an alternative for another 50 years might be too much of a price to pay.
How about making vegetarianism compulsory? It would be easier I think........Aye Right!!! I like real Haggis!!!

Rheghead
24-Jan-13, 23:29
I like real Haggis!!!

Well I'll be having my veggie haggis tomorrow. ;)

golach
24-Jan-13, 23:38
Well I'll be having my veggie haggis tomorrow. ;)

does your Dram bottle have a suitable for Vegetarians label [lol]

squidge
24-Jan-13, 23:52
Squidge are you as naive as you make out? Cigarettes and spirits are legal in this country, and are part of the biggest criminal money earner in the UK, bootleg goods being sold openly every where. Do you actually think, if drugs were legalised, that the crime cartels would stop their evil trading and change their ways? I think not!!!!

Did you read the rest of my post Golach?????? i said I DONT KNOW but no one else seems to either because no one is willing to have the conversation. One thing is certain though we arent making much of a difference just now.

Dadie
25-Jan-13, 00:46
If the penalty for being caught with drugs was stronger ....ie caught with a toke or two was the loss of a hand....not many would chance being caught twice!
Sometimes the middle east penalties make sense........rather than make it easier and having a soft option on drugs which makes the problem worse as the sentence is laughable ...make it hard and painful instead!

2little2late
25-Jan-13, 02:45
If she has to have the death sentence the firing squad is just wrong!
Surely in this day and age someone sentenced to death should be given the option of taking suicide drugs so its painless, quick and private?

Why should she be given an option? it could be classed as euthanasia. Give her the death penalty be it firing squad, hanging or stoned to death. These traffickers make my blood boil. Every time they are caught they always say they were coerced or say they know nothing about it.

Rheghead
25-Jan-13, 13:56
If the drug traffickers do not react to the possibility of being executed, then how about some of their close family as well? Then they can't be just accused of just thinking of themselves.

Gizmo
25-Jan-13, 14:00
If the drug traffickers do not react to the possibility of being executed, then how about some of their close family as well? Then they can't be just accused of just thinking of themselves.

That is officially the dumbest thing I have ever seen written on the Internet.

billmoseley
25-Jan-13, 19:42
If the drug traffickers do not react to the possibility of being executed, then how about some of their close family as well? Then they can't be just accused of just thinking of themselves. i like your thinking Rheg that might just slow them up a bit not just for drug smuggling either.

secrets in symmetry
26-Jan-13, 02:06
I've just cancelled a trip to Indonesia in late March. Luckily, I hadn't paid for my flights.

luskentyre
27-Jan-13, 00:20
I've just cancelled a trip to Indonesia in late March. Luckily, I hadn't paid for my flights.

Were you planning on smuggling drugs then?

secrets in symmetry
27-Jan-13, 00:22
No, lol!

I'm not going to spend my money in a country whose government orders the murder of British citizens for coerced drug smuggling.

pat
27-Jan-13, 00:44
S-i-S

You also better stroke USA off your list too - they still have death penalty and use it, does not matter which country you belong or are a resident, you do the crime - you get the sentence.

Dadie
27-Jan-13, 01:02
I would have thought there was a more chance of drugs being smuggled out rather than in Bali..........but as far as my feelings are if caught you suffer where you are caught ....penitalies and all!

Flynn
27-Jan-13, 10:11
If the penalty for being caught with drugs was stronger ....ie caught with a toke or two was the loss of a hand....not many would chance being caught twice!
Sometimes the middle east penalties make sense........rather than make it easier and having a soft option on drugs which makes the problem worse as the sentence is laughable ...make it hard and painful instead!

If death penalties and mutilations were so effective a deterrent, there would not be a drug problem in the countries that have them.

Rheghead
27-Jan-13, 15:21
OK, so if we cannot control drugs by sheer law enforcement, as there is no sentence that will deter, isn't it time for a fresh approach, one where the drugs are legalised and marketed in known amounts?

Phill
27-Jan-13, 16:09
It may have been pointed out already, but the actual traffickers i.e. the ones organising, controlling and pulling the strings will be safely tucked away out of reach of the law.
They very carefully select vulnerable people, maybe those with learning difficulties or mental illness and then line them up to get caught like this. This doesn't completely absolve her from the crime but if people took off their Daily Wail spectacles and looked at the bigger picture they may just realise that calling for the mule to be shot is just as evil as those who placed her in this position.

Using the same logic we should have sent Gary McKinnon off for a spell courtesy of the Department of Corrections.

Gizmo
28-Jan-13, 16:20
OK, so if we cannot control drugs by sheer law enforcement, as there is no sentence that will deter, isn't it time for a fresh approach, one where the drugs are legalised and marketed in known amounts?

I don't think that would make much difference, as any Government that did that would tax the hell out of it, so the illegal dealers will just lower their prices and create a thriving black market just like there is for cigarettes and alcohol. One positive effect it may have is to stop making criminals out of recreational drug users who are not addicts or stealing to fund an addiction. I'm sure they would rather pay a little more for their legal weekend fix rather than risk finding themselves with a conviction for possessing non approved substances. Of course, there would have to be limitations on what could be legally bought, as the legalisation of Heroin or methamphetamine would be unthinkable.

At the end of the day, a war on drugs is about as much use as a war on terror, as there is simply far too much of a demand for recreational drugs for it to ever be eradicated, and only a small percentage of drug users actually have a drug habbit. There are way more alcoholics than there are drug addicts.

ducati
28-Jan-13, 22:00
If drugs of any currently illegal flavour were legal to buy and import in Britain, it would have no bearing on this womens plight.

I would be worse really. Sentenced to death in Bali for doing something legal in your own country. This is why I don't think they should or could be legalised. Our international commitments and reputation. Before anyone mentions Holland, they have an international reputation for being nuts.

Rheghead
28-Jan-13, 23:26
What I want to know is this. If the law against drugs is the the only thing that is empowering and enriching the drug pushers, who on the inside of UK or international law is keeping drugs illegal? One of the same?