PDA

View Full Version : Post Count

Saveman
30-Dec-06, 03:33
Any chance of the post count coming back?

I've just realised how I use the post count.......to see whether the person posting is someone new or someone who has been here for a while......

I like seeing my own post count as well.....am I alone? :D

jamieS
30-Dec-06, 03:39
I think Colin has already explained that they have had to turn of these features due the the strain it was puting on the servers, I think he said they would hope to re-activate these fearues once they move to a dedicated enviorment rather than a virtual one. If I am incorrect someone plese correct me.

canuck
30-Dec-06, 03:41
Saveman, my own postcount isn't an issue for me, but my eyes still automatically drift to the top right hand corner to check the count of other users for exactly the same reason you use it.

Saveman
30-Dec-06, 03:43
Thanks JamieS, yes I seen that post by Colin. Just wondered if it was coming back in the near future.......

I perceive, though I could be wrong, that you are a relatively new poster?
If so then welcome to the Org! :D

jamieS
30-Dec-06, 03:46
Long time member short time poster

Saveman
30-Dec-06, 03:48
Long time member short time poster

That's always the best type of Orger......:p

jamieS
30-Dec-06, 03:51
Thank you.
I think Colin went on to say if they get the time during next summer thats when the upgrade may happen....but don't quote me on that.

Jeemag_USA
30-Dec-06, 04:32
JamieS has orger written under him which means he has been here for over 30 days and made over 30 posts I think, if you havemade thirty posts but not been here 30 days you are classed as member, if you have not done either of those you are Junior member. Thats all I know. I never really liked post counts on forums because with younger people they woudl just start posting anywhere and everywhere and double posting to get their number up. I think someone who post little with much wisdom is more useful than someone who posts lots with little to say if you know what I mean. I'd leave it turned off ;) I think if you look at someones public profile you can see when they joined.

PS I will be an orger in about a week I think. :)

Ricco
30-Dec-06, 10:42
I don't know about the post count.. I miss the 'subscribed' indicator. I used this to check on those posts that I had considered important for me to keep track on.

Praetorian
30-Dec-06, 10:45
It tells you a join date beside your location - what difference does it make how many posts people make - The post system was abused to give people avatars if they posted over 30 posts plus were here for 3 months so some people were posting rubbish. I personally think if you have nothing useful to say why get punished for it.

henry20
30-Dec-06, 11:07
I don't know about the post count.. I miss the 'subscribed' indicator. I used this to check on those posts that I had considered important for me to keep track on.
These are still shown in your user CP - I tend to go in every now & again and delete ones that are no longer of interest. Any that I still wish to use, I keep.

I don't see why the post count should be an issue. If I find someone's opinions or debates worthwhile, I remember their names regardless of whether it is their 10th post or 1000th.

badger
30-Dec-06, 11:14
Agree with Ricco as I used to find it very convenient just to glance down the list of threads and see which I had subscribed to earlier. Takes longer to look at CP. Let's hope that's another feature that will return in due course.

henry20
30-Dec-06, 11:22
I must admit, I prefer the ticks to the list in user CP too, but at least we still have the info.

bobsgirl
30-Dec-06, 20:37
I quite liked the ticks for indicating which posts you added too. I do miss the post counter as well. I think they could probably save space if they deleted the REALLY old threads that havent been uses in ages!!

Bring back the ticked boxes at least!!