PDA

View Full Version : Why snow?

PantsMAN
21-Jan-13, 11:16
Why, oh why is snow such BIG NEWS?

For as many years as there has been tv news, somewhere in Britain receives a delivery of snow.

Can the news bulletins please get over it?

Oh, and why can we still not cope with it? Countries on a similar latitude seem to manage to keep going, why can't we?

I have just watched the 10 o'clock morning news and there were three seperate reports from outside broadcasts all saying the same thing - it's been snowing and there is snow on the ground. One reported that they were going to look for jack-knifed lorries. AAAAAAGH!

mi16
21-Jan-13, 11:46
well generally it is thew English media that are getting in a lather over the snow, and generally the English public are terrible at coping with it presumably because they have not had to deal with it on the same extent as us Highlanders.
Having said that I was in glasgow when we had that bad spell a couple of years back and folk were useless down there also, abandoning theor cars on the M8 and suchlike.

Gronnuck
21-Jan-13, 12:52
Basically it's because there's a lack of news that all the media can think of is creating a stooshie about snow. All the discussions are repeated winter after winter because they have nothing else to say.

mi16
21-Jan-13, 14:08
No news you say?
what about the Glencoe Avalanche, kidnapping and murder of several UK citizens in Algeria, wordwide fiscal meltdown, the destruction of the high street, ongoing war in Afghanistan..................

Southern-Gal
21-Jan-13, 15:36
Surely a woman dying lying out in the snow is worthy of a slot on the news?

Gronnuck
21-Jan-13, 15:38
No news you say?
what about the Glencoe Avalanche, kidnapping and murder of several UK citizens in Algeria, wordwide fiscal meltdown, the destruction of the high street, ongoing war in Afghanistan..................

Yes indeed. But reporting on the weather and gathering pictures of the white stuff is so much simpler than delving into the complexities of some of these more important issues.

Corrie 3
21-Jan-13, 16:03
And the reporting on the weather is made easy for the news teams because they are always asking for photo's and stories of the snow so their job is done for them by the many folk who answer their requests.
I think they need to get a grip on things......It's winter, in winter you get snow and ice, it's not a new thing in fact, it's been happening for years and will continue for many years yet.
There are only a certain amount of photo's of snowmen, kids on sledges and aircraft with snow on them that you can put up with before it becomes boring........and now it has become boring!!!

C3.

PantsMAN
21-Jan-13, 18:00
And the reporting SNIP........and now it has become boring!!!

C3.

Exactly! This kind of rubbish is cheaper to garner than the real news.

Rheghead
21-Jan-13, 18:20
It just seems to me that some news stories do get blown out of all proportion and drag on day after day after day until well after we get bored with them.

snow, climate change, phone hacking, Fabrice Muamba, plebgate to name just a few.

Corrie 3
23-Jan-13, 15:10
I presume someone at the BBC has been sat in a nice warm office for a couple of days putting this rubbish together for our enjoyment. I wonder how much they got paid and how much it has cost the fee payers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21090852

C3.

Alrock
23-Jan-13, 18:58
I presume someone at the BBC has been sat in a nice warm office for a couple of days putting this rubbish together for our enjoyment......

Doubt it, there is software out there that can do it in a couple of clicks...