PDA

View Full Version : Fast growing prickly

shazzap
21-Jan-13, 00:47
Can anyone suggest, a fast growing prickly bush/plant. That is cheap to buy please. This is to use as a security hedge.

annemarie482
21-Jan-13, 01:55
ROSEHIP or rosa rugosa as its properly known.
it loves coastal areas, spreads well, is very spikey and gets lovely bright flowers on it followed by bright red seed pods.

steeko
21-Jan-13, 20:18
Hawthorn or Sea Buckthorn may be worth considering.

shazzap
21-Jan-13, 23:29
Thank you all for your replies. Which of these would be the fastest growing, and are they evergreen.

Southern-Gal
22-Jan-13, 17:32
Dog rose or rosehip are not evergreen but they are very prickly and fairly quickly growing. They dont hold up very well without another type of bush to prop them up a bit, without support they tend to sprawl everywhere. You might be better with a mixture. Hawthorn are great but take forever to get a decent hedge established. Not sure how quick quickthorn are, blackthorn are the ones that have sloes on them in autumn and they are very prickly too. Berberis are really prickly and have nice red leaves so add a bit of colour.
The fastest evergreen you will get are leylandii but they are not prickly at all and they are not good if next to livestock as they are poisonous if eaten in much quantity. And once they have got to the height you want they need constant trimming back which get to be a bigger job every year. Up here they would be a liability with the wind too as their roots are not deep.

starfish
22-Jan-13, 17:42
not had any luck with leylandi up here

shazzap
22-Jan-13, 20:09
Thank you..............

steeko
22-Jan-13, 22:11
You could consider Berberis Evergreen Julianae.

pat
24-Jan-13, 09:27
all year round green, fairly quick growing, salt and wind tolerant, thick, trimmable, cuttings taken fairly easily - first choice would be Escallonia or then my 2nd choice would New Zealand Holly which is less dense and but would act as a hedge.

linda.borgie
26-Jan-13, 20:34
Torrisdale Tunnel, Skerray ( on facebook )
Have hawthorn, blackthorn, sea buckthorn, quickthorn all at £2 each - hieght 30 - 50cm - all are good hardy and prickly with reasonably fast growth, - plant 3 to a meter or for a good deterrant stagger and plant 5 to a meter.
Also purple & green berberis at £3
Pink & white rosa rugosa at £2
Dog rose at £2
infact think i have all of the above mentioned prickly hedging and all at reasonable price - mainly because i recycle pots (always have a use for pots) - please give a phone if you think i can help :)

shazzap
26-Jan-13, 23:03
Torrisdale Tunnel, Skerray ( on facebook )
Have hawthorn, blackthorn, sea buckthorn, quickthorn all at £2 each - hieght 30 - 50cm - all are good hardy and prickly with reasonably fast growth, - plant 3 to a meter or for a good deterrant stagger and plant 5 to a meter.
Also purple & green berberis at £3
Pink & white rosa rugosa at £2
Dog rose at £2
infact think i have all of the above mentioned prickly hedging and all at reasonable price - mainly because i recycle pots (always have a use for pots) - please give a phone if you think i can help :)

Thank you for your advice, but i think you might be a bit too far away. Around 490 miles give or take.:D Would these plants be OK to mix and match. Thank you to others who have replied also.

linda.borgie
26-Jan-13, 23:38
Yes they do make a lovely mixed hedge.
Linda

Southern-Gal
26-Jan-13, 23:39
Yes I would mix and match that way you get some colour for more of the year and in the summer it will look really good. You will also find out which ones grow best at your place and not have a complete fail if one type can not cope with the location then you could buy more of what grew best to fill in any gaps or thinner parts of the hedge.
When you plant them cut them short to the ground if they are in a windy position until the roots have really taken otherwise then wind wagging them about can stop them rooting properly. Also if you are going to lay the hedge in the future then a staggered hedge is best.

Dadie
26-Jan-13, 23:44
The more variety in the hedging the better ...its good for wildlife and if one variety doesnt take there are others to make up the holes!...We had a purple berberis and it had long thorns that were lethal that we had to get rid of because it was eating the kids(one wrong swerve on a bike and about 10 plasters)!
Have you thought about blackberry and rasps as well ? they are prickly too...plus you get fruit.....and jam....:D

shazzap
27-Jan-13, 00:25
Cheers all, will take all of this on board.