PDA

View Full Version : Driver etiquette

luskentyre
18-Jan-13, 00:34
Maybe not an exciting topic, but just wondering what everyone thought about the best way to acknowledge kind behaviour on the roads e.g. someone pulling over in a passing place to let you past. Given that it's winter and a wave won't be seen sometimes, do you;

Dadie
18-Jan-13, 00:37
What about toot the horn.....?

mi16
18-Jan-13, 00:38
Yup a wee toot will suffice

ducati
18-Jan-13, 00:40
I like to stick the AK out the window and unload a clip or two.

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 00:40
either a nod or a friendly wave, doing anything else really or any of the other answers above could be misinterpreted and cause an accident.

ducati
18-Jan-13, 00:42
Yes indeedy :eek:

luskentyre
18-Jan-13, 00:57
Ah, maybe should have added "Toot the horn" but don't think I can edit it now. All of the above I've most often seen though.

Alrock
18-Jan-13, 01:03
Hmmmm, maybe after this poll has run its course how about....

How do you acknowledge another drivers bad driving?

changilass
18-Jan-13, 01:04
Blast, rather than toot of the horn?

joxville
18-Jan-13, 01:07
If someone has been really courteous I'll maybe toot the horn or flash the lights, sometimes I've been generous enough to wave five fingers at them, however depending on the situation then I'll be a bit miserly and just show them one finger ;-)

Dadie
18-Jan-13, 01:19
Oh jox you must have been behind the driver on the back road from Wick to Watten a few times.....to want to show the finger to the driver at 44mph on a good day ......! its fustrating as they dont know what a passing place is for......im so tempted to use the one finger salute to them but dont......as they dont let you pass anyway...

Phill
18-Jan-13, 02:27
A furious (w) anchor sign normally suffices.

Flynn
18-Jan-13, 09:36
Smile and a friendly wave.

billmoseley
18-Jan-13, 19:55
2 toots if let past 1 long blast for silly driving and if on a single track road and being blocked a find a bit of harassment and light flashing does the trick and as we get past my wife usually gives them the 1 fingered salute as we pass aaaaaaaaa team work

George Brims
18-Jan-13, 21:24
The solution to the person going by the passing places may be the same as I used to use on the A9, back when it was all just 2 lanes and people didn't pull their accursed (to use a polite word) caravans into a layby. When they pass one layby/passing place, give one moderate length honk of the horn. At the second instance, two honks, and so on. I rarely had to do three, and never ever got up to five. I did get a few honks in reply as I went past. And some hand signals not in the Highway Code.

sids
18-Jan-13, 21:28
Some of you should consult the Highway Code, on use of the horn.

trueblue
18-Jan-13, 22:11
yet to meet a courteous driver in caithness, the driving standards are pathetic, park wherever you like ( junctions, traffic lights, zigzags etc ) only seems to be 2 speeds ( flat out and stop ) constant driving with front foglamps on, jumping lights, and no one seems to know how to negotiate a roundabout

sids
18-Jan-13, 22:27
yet to meet a courteous driver in caithness, the driving standards are pathetic, park wherever you like ( junctions, traffic lights, zigzags etc ) only seems to be 2 speeds ( flat out and stop ) constant driving with front foglamps on, jumping lights, and no one seems to know how to negotiate a roundabout

I'd avoid Caithness then, if I were you.

shazzap
18-Jan-13, 22:43
None of the above. Not that i drive now, but when i did. A nod and a mouthed thank you.

bothyman
18-Jan-13, 23:26
A Friendly wave