PDA

View Full Version : Horse Meat

Angel
17-Jan-13, 21:41
Not sure what all the fuss is about horse meat. If you eat meat, what is the difference. Why just pick on the cows and pigs. Is it because we see the horse as a useful tool to be exploited in other ways racing, working etc. including the pet scenario. Is it because we get emotionally attached to horses because some people find them beautiful, elegant even. What about Deer... (Bambi) What about Rabbit.. (Thumper)... Then there is the Chicken... Turkey, Duck.

Where and how do we draw these lines of acceptability in what to eat?

Angel...

Alrock
17-Jan-13, 21:47
There shouldn't be any lines.... If you want to eat it then you should be allowed to eat it....

Dialyser
17-Jan-13, 21:47
I don't think that there is anything wrong with eating horse meat.
What I do think is wrong about the recent burger story, is the fact that it wasn't made clear to people what they were buying and were therefore unable to make an informed choice.

changilass
17-Jan-13, 21:48
I'll try owt once, if I like it I'll have it again, if not then I just don't get it again.

Ostritch, crocodile, kangaroo, frogs legs are just a few that I tried and loved. Really didnae like baby octopus though.

Rheghead
17-Jan-13, 21:57
I wonder what Tesco will eventually do with all those burgers? I read there were 10 million now going to be thrown away yet they are ok to eat. A bit of a waste when folks are starving.

shazzap
17-Jan-13, 22:14
I would'nt want to eat Horse. That is my choice. If you buy Beef Burgers, that is what you should get. Not a bit of Horse or Pig, thrown in for good measure.

linda.borgie
17-Jan-13, 22:22
I wonder what Tesco will eventually do with all those burgers? I read there were 10 million now going to be thrown away yet they are ok to eat. A bit of a waste when folks are starving.
Any idea where they are throwing them away as my dogs aint fussy

Ballymore
17-Jan-13, 22:22
In Sweden you can buy horsemeat called "hamburgarekött" - it's smoked sliced horsemeat usually bought pre-packed like ham or salami here. It is delicious, specially in a dark rye sandwich with horseradish (that is an unintended pun!). In Denmark I bought minced horsemeat that I made into a delicious chill-con-carne. What went wrong here was that people thought it was pure beef they were buying, not contaminated with horsemeat or pork.
I must add that I've had horses myself and really enjoyed being with them just as much as I enjoy bringing up my pet lambs and calves that later go to slaughter.

Yes, Angel - Where and how do we draw these lines of acceptability in what to eat? It is a personal choice but as a consumer/shopper we need to know 100% what we are buying.

Angel
17-Jan-13, 22:50
I understand the 'need to know' thing. What I am trying to establish is why is horsemeat so very different in so many peoples eyes. Why do they see the animal different?

Angel

Dadie
17-Jan-13, 23:05
Its about choice...and the fact the true ingredients were not mentioned.
You choose what you want to eat....i.e. if I want to eat beef and buy a pack stating 100% beef it ought to be beef in the packet.
Sometimes its about religion ...no pork ...has to be halal etc..
I have eaten ostrich, venison, reindeer, rabbit, snake, smoked eel and croc but that was by choice not by sneaking in ingredients without my knowledge!
There was an outrage a while back about zebu .........
Saying that my parents are quite happy with mutton being goat where they are!

Corrie 3
17-Jan-13, 23:49
I wonder what Tesco will eventually do with all those burgers?
As they look and taste like plastic I would turn them into "My little Pony's" ready in time for next Christmas presents!!

C3.

Shaggy
17-Jan-13, 23:56
As they look and taste like plastic I would turn them into "My little Pony's" ready in time for next Christmas presents!!

C3.

Wouldn't surprise me if they were repackaged and shipped out to a country with people who will happily eat horse meat

mi16
18-Jan-13, 00:00
Horse Meat is called beef also.Therefore no one was lying

Dadie
18-Jan-13, 00:04
Soup kitchen?
Homeless shelter ?
Oh no they will go the same way as the veg and other consumables that is still fit for consumption....but not bought and guess what?
BINNED....and the bins policed for raiding!

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 00:05
Horse Meat is called beef also.Therefore no one was lying

maybe in other countries but certainly not the UK.

beef Show IPA noun, plural beeves Show IPA , for 2; beefs for 4, verb.
noun 1. the flesh of a [B]cow, steer, or bull raised and killed for its meat.

2. an adult [B]cow, steer, or bull raised for its meat.

3. Informal. a. brawn; muscular strength.

b. strength; power.

c. weight, as of a person.

d. human flesh.

4. Slang. a. a complaint.

b. an argument or dispute.

verb (used without object) 5. Slang. to complain; grumble.

Although the mention of using beef to relate to human flesh kinda scares me :eek:

andyw
18-Jan-13, 00:06
My wife likes beef burgers from morrisons with red wine and i like tesco value beef burgers with red rum

mi16
18-Jan-13, 00:09
That's neigh funny

mi16
18-Jan-13, 00:13
I don't really see the problem in it all, I understand the religious issues wit pork but what's really the difference between eating a horse or a cow?

andyw
18-Jan-13, 00:15
I dunno what the fuss is about Tesco burgers- I've heard they're great as part of a stable diet

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 00:19
I don't really see the problem in it all, I understand the religious issues wit pork but what's really the difference between eating a horse or a cow?It's a moot point - according to the naysayers....

Dadie
18-Jan-13, 00:19
I know where my meat comes from usually as I buy as 1/2 a beast and get it butchered or use a local butcher for meat and make my own burgers etc...sausages are more tricky as getting skins is hard.
Unusual meats are from fickle finds at the butchers or lidls frozen foods....or holidays...
The kids are oblivious about what they eat ....its just meat, but if asked I dont lie....apart from Christmas eve (they were eating reindeer stew) and I thought the truth would hurt.....and yes my kids know meat doesnt just come in plastic trays with a blood sooking pad underneath!
They can and often help (hinder) grandad with his butchering duties.

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 00:25
One of the best burgers I've ever been served was a horse burger. :cool:

I could probably find the restaurant if I went there again....

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 00:29
just had a horrible thought........has anyone checked the label on Tesco's own brand Cock-a-leeky soup???

Dadie
18-Jan-13, 00:35
Where was the restaurant?
Take it was overseas....continent.....Im not against horse as meat per say......
Just I like to know the history of the meat we eat....due to other factors such as antibiotics used in the animal and the timing before culling etc...
Which worries me more...antibiotic resistance etc .....

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 00:37
I bought a couple of Tesco burgers last week. They were a bit hard, so I tried to tenderise them in the usual way. I eventually gave up - it felt like I was flogging a dead horse.

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 00:38
Where was the restaurant?
Take it was overseas....continent.....Im not against horse as meat per say......
Just I like to know the history of the meat we eat....due to other factors such as antibiotics used in the animal and the timing before culling etc...
Which worries me more...antibiotic resistance etc .....Strasbourg.

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 00:51
aargh! i just pulled an old box of tesco burgers out of the fridge and theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyre off!

luskentyre
18-Jan-13, 00:52
I agree that there should be no difference between the morals of slaughtering a horse for consumption and a cow. Similarly, there should be no distinction between cows and cats, pigs and ponies or chickens and cockatoos. I've always found it strange that we're content to eat farm animals but happily take pets into our homes and lavish affection on them.

Is it just because the cute ones are able to show us affection, or demonstrate some other use to us?

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 00:52
Tesco are now catering for vegetarian horse lovers.....they are putting UniQuorn meat in the veggie burgers!

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 00:57
I'm drinking red rum with Diet Coke right now - it's shergar-free.

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 00:58
OMG! they've now found traces of Zebra in Tesco barcodes!

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 01:00
OMG! they've now found traces of Zebra in Tesco barcodes!Has it been there furlong? :cool:

joxville
18-Jan-13, 01:04
I'd have no problem trying horse meat, to me it's no different to eating most other animals; it's only because we Brits see than as 'domesticated' that leaves some aghast. People have no problem with turkey, chicken, duck etc. but would be up in arms if someone ate a parrot, who's to say what's right and what's wrong? I remember the time I tried swan... ;-)

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 01:06
This weeks special offers in Tesco

1. Unicorn on the cob - just £2 for 4
2. 25 Burgers, only cost you a pony
3. Mad sale on burgers - All hoof price!
4. Tesco burgers - beats the rivals prices by a nose!

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 01:06
Tesco have a special deal on burgers tomorrow, they're two to one on.

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 01:07
This weeks special offers in Tesco

1. Unicorn on the cob - just £2 for 4
2. 25 Burgers, only cost you a pony
3. Mad sale on burgers - All hoof price!
4. Tesco burgers - beats the rivals prices by a nose!
Lol!

Great minds think alike!

I posted before I saw your post. :cool:

changilass
18-Jan-13, 01:09
Great minds think alike!

:cool:

....... or fools fail to differ.

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 01:10
Ah! what an excellent evening i've just had...went to Thurso Cinema, y'know, just over the road from where they are building the new slaughterhouse err i mean Tesco...anyway, watched a great film called "Warhorse", the Tesco adverts before, during and after the film teed me off a little but the films strap-line made me laugh..."Warhorse! - you've seen the play! watched the film! now eat the cast! Tesco - every little helps

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 01:17
....... or fools fail to differ.You should take up Tesco's offer - while the going is good. :cool:

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 01:17
Tesco should get Gallup to do a poll about how this has gone down with customers....

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 01:19
ahem...

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAuXxjfCMAAra20.jpg

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 01:21
....... or fools fail to differ.

tch tch.....are you trying to stirrup things on the org?

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 01:23
David Cameron will be raising the horseburger issue in parliament tomorrow and demanding an urgent steward's inquiry

Shaggy
18-Jan-13, 01:25
and here's one for mi16 [lol]

Good thing about these horse jokes is that it's stopped all the sick Jimmy Saddle ones.....

ducati
18-Jan-13, 08:50
I agree that there should be no difference between the morals of slaughtering a horse for consumption and a cow. Similarly, there should be no distinction between cows and cats, pigs and ponies or chickens and cockatoos. I've always found it strange that we're content to eat farm animals but happily take pets into our homes and lavish affection on them.

Is it just because the cute ones are able to show us affection, or demonstrate some other use to us?

If you really think that then there is something wrong with you.

M Swanson
18-Jan-13, 09:06
Horsey, horsey don't you stop,
Or you'll end up in a Tesco shop.
Your tail goes swish and the wheels go round
Giddy up Horsey, you're a quarter pound!

:D

mi16
18-Jan-13, 09:10
and here's one for mi16 [lol]Good thing about these horse jokes is that it's stopped all the sick Jimmy Saddle ones.....Now then, now then Shaggy.I have not seen a JS joke on here at all.

M Swanson
18-Jan-13, 09:49
I suspect foal play.

Flynn
18-Jan-13, 12:08
It explains why Tesco burgers always give me the trots. I did switch to Aldi burgers for a while but in the end decided I preferred my Lidl pony.

M Swanson
18-Jan-13, 12:28
Register with the Jockey Club. You're now the proud owner of half a racehorse , Flynn. :D

Trajan
18-Jan-13, 12:55
well we all know now what happened to shergar,:eek:

Trajan
18-Jan-13, 13:03
Despite the recent news, Tesco says that their beef burger sales remain stable."

"So I go to the freezer to get the burgers out....and they're off!":)

Trajan
18-Jan-13, 13:10
The wife made Tesco beefburgers for tea last night and asked if I wanted anything on it. I said "A fiver each way".:Razz

ecb
18-Jan-13, 13:16
Although far from funny, some people are using the horse meat story as a source of humour:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/17/top-10-metro-reader-horse-meat-jokes-3356079/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=9809987&cc=9776658

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=9807089&cc=9776658

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=9807096&cc=9776658

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/?cartoon=9807097&cc=9776658

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 13:20
I'm off burgers. I'm having filly steak for tea tonight.

secrets in symmetry
18-Jan-13, 13:54
Tesco have apologised by taking out full page advertisements in the national press, but I feel they've closed the stable door after the horse has bolted.

M Swanson
18-Jan-13, 17:26
Try Tesco's cheeseburgers. They're made with caerfilly cheese.

gingernut
18-Jan-13, 20:53
brilliant stuff! i'm horse with laughing :lol:

Flynn
19-Jan-13, 09:13
A horse visits Tesco looking for answers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmxcUfyuRzs

secrets in symmetry
19-Jan-13, 16:29
A horse visits Tesco looking for answers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmxcUfyuRzsThat was so, so sad. The poor wee thing. I hope some kind soul will adopt it....

rich62_uk
19-Jan-13, 16:34
Has anyone actually ate horse meat ? What is it like ?

secrets in symmetry
19-Jan-13, 16:39
It's neigh bad, and it goes well with a glass of hock. :cool:

Flynn
20-Jan-13, 10:44
Has anyone actually ate horse meat ? What is it like ?

I've eaten it. It's nice, quite tender and juicy. Lovely flavour.

Southern-Gal
20-Jan-13, 11:19
Like beef or steak depending on the piece but softer. And the fat is yellow like on a Jersey cow. The fat has a greasy taint to it, to fool people the fat needs to be removed which is very easy because there is no marbling through the meat like on a cow, the fat is stored on the outside.
I would hazard a guess that all people who eat any type of beef regularly, excluding home grown and butchered have definitely eaten horse without knowing it the use of it is so widespread.

golach
20-Jan-13, 11:41
I believe Horse meat was a common food source during WW2, not sure if it was only the farming community that used it. I remember my Dad talking about eating it, I have no memory of tasting it.
I did unknowingly at the time eat monkey in a place called Balakpapan in Indonesia, it tasted nice until I asked what it was, and promptly threw up, should have kept my mouth shut.

Southern-Gal
20-Jan-13, 11:55
Was it at all 'porky'?

pig whisperer
20-Jan-13, 12:31
We have a few boxes of tesco burgers in the freezer, guess we are saddled with them

Corrie 3
20-Jan-13, 12:55
We have a few boxes of tesco burgers in the freezer, guess we are saddled with them
If you say that quietly enough you will be known as the horse whisperer instead of the pig whisperer.

C3.

secrets in symmetry
20-Jan-13, 19:15
We have a few boxes of tesco burgers in the freezer, guess we are saddled with themYou could try to whip up some enthusiasm by entering them into the Grand National. You might even win 'e thing. :cool:

lesley_mac
20-Jan-13, 19:28
hi looked at a lot of replyes but none of them has asked who passed the horse meat fit for eating and why they sliped it in with other meat
was the horses healthy or were they not who knows

Flynn
21-Jan-13, 10:21
hi looked at a lot of replyes but none of them has asked who passed the horse meat fit for eating and why they sliped it in with other meat
was the horses healthy or were they not who knows

Horseflesh is - and always has been - fit for eating. One thing is certain, the horses won't have had BSE.

_Ju_
22-Jan-13, 17:26
Not sure what all the fuss is about horse meat. If you eat meat, what is the difference.

Angel...
You are missing the point: you would not pay the same price for lamb and ewe. You pay for beef, you are entitled to beef. If you want to buy a mixtuire of beef and horse, the price has to reflect this. You are also entiled to know exactly what you are eating.
As for the samples that did not have overt ammounts of horse flesh mixed into their burger, but were "only" tainted with horse DNA and pork DNA, these reflect the cleaning practices - or more accuratly, the absence of cleaning- very important in terms of meat. In a food factory, no proper clean up between different production lines means that cleanliness will be, as a rule, bad.

Rheghead
22-Jan-13, 17:36
You are missing the point: you would not pay the same price for lamb and ewe. You pay for beef, you are entitled to beef.

Yes agreed, but misleading labels or mixing stuff without our knowedge in burgers is nothing new. If it had been chicken or pork mixed in with the beef then this story wouldn't have been of major interest.

Retread
23-Jan-13, 11:22
I bought one of these last week .. http://www.shotdeadinthehead.com/value-shergar-burgers-t-shirt-mens.html

Went into my local Tesco wearing it yesterday. Much fun.

_Ju_
29-Jan-13, 12:51
Misleading labels or mixing "stuff" into food and not including it on the label is and has been illegal for a very long time. Packaged foods have to have complete labels. The only exception being seasonings that are less than 2% and then only if they are not allergens. Not listing ingredients or substituting ( as what seems to have happened with the 30% horse/beef burgers) is fraud. Confidence in a food business is very easily destroyed so these large companies are usually careful. My best guess is that this business will loose contracts and close very quickly.

Shaggy
29-Jan-13, 14:38
last chance to get triple clubcard points on petrol, diesel & burgers. Ask at the checkout for the "only fuels & horses" deal

Corrie 3
29-Jan-13, 23:53
last chance to get triple clubcard points on petrol, diesel & burgers. Ask at the checkout for the "only fuels & horses" deal
Aye.........it's a Grand National scandal !!!

C3.

secrets in symmetry
29-Jan-13, 23:55
last chance to get triple clubcard points on petrol, diesel & burgers. Ask at the checkout for the "only fuels & horses" dealWhat do Trigger and the Trotters have to do with this?

secrets in symmetry
30-Jan-13, 11:02
Tesco drops supplier over horsemeat (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21258773)

Horsemeat scandal: Tesco blames supplier over horsemeat in value burgers

Horse DNA was found in burgers sold at Tesco

Meat in Tesco burgers which was found to contain horse DNA did not come from a list of "approved suppliers", the supermarket has claimed.

Following an internal investigation, the supermarket chain said meat used by its supplier Silvercrest originated from outside the UK and Ireland.

Tesco issued an "unreserved" apology in full-page spreads of several UK newspapers on 16 January and have now dropped Silvercrest as a supplier.

Silvercrest have yet to comment.

Hi-yo, Silver! Away! :cool:

Martin England
30-Jan-13, 12:27
This made me smile in the Mirror
"Tesco, which is ­investigating how its Everyday Value burgers contained 29% horse meat, has scrapped part of its new TV advert as it was due to include images of a horse."

The Mirror 19th jan http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/horse-meat-burger-scandal-silvercrest-1544458

Southern-Gal
30-Jan-13, 23:19
UK horse owners have had to get their horses passported at great expense to stop the Europeans unintentionally eating meat that has had banned medicines administered to it.
With the vet and registration fees each horse has cost its owners on average £100 each. A nice little earner for anyone involved in it and some extra for the tax and VAT man to boot.
Why has this been done if it has not always been known that quite a lot of our horses end up in the human food chain?
But it does not stop unscrupulous people putting them into the food chain anyway. A waste of money for horse owners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21181499?SThisFB