PDA

View Full Version : Best Before Dates?

Rheghead
16-Jan-13, 20:16
I bought a jar of honey just recently and it says Best Before 2015. I thought honey would outlast the Egyptian pyramids? :confused

annemarie482
16-Jan-13, 20:19
Ach they'll be covering themselves same as everything has to these days......

outsidethebox
16-Jan-13, 20:27
best before dates, use by dates, display until dates, all a load of rubbish. Food is either fit to eat or not, no label can tell you that. Look at it, smell it, taste it, if it's off you will know. I have never knowingly stuck to any of these dates simply designed to get folk to throw away perfectly good food.

I ate a tin of beans once produced in 1935, I was only born in 1962!

pat
16-Jan-13, 22:22
honey is a pure food and used for preserving.

It is incredible they HAVE to put dates on all things edible and usable.

Wonder when people will have a best before date, or expiry date stamped on them?

Tugmistress
17-Jan-13, 10:18
I remember nothing having these dates on them, smell and taste it and if it isn't off then eat it is my policy! my daughter will agree with that she recently found a tin in my cupboard dated 2007 lol

ShelleyCowie
17-Jan-13, 10:22
I remember nothing having these dates on them, smell and taste it and if it isn't off then eat it is my policy! my daughter will agree with that she recently found a tin in my cupboard dated 2007 lol

The eggs! Dont forget the eggs :)

I think the dates are put on things to get people to think that because its past its date, they should bin it and buy new. Some things im wary of, such as milk. But i use UHT anyway so it outlives most things in my cupboards.