PDA

View Full Version : New Tesco Site in Thurso

plumber
14-Jan-13, 19:37
Anyone know what was going on at the New Tesco Site in Thurso today? there was diggers and workmen there. Something must be happening at long last.

billmoseley
14-Jan-13, 19:48
Yep they are digging a big hole to bury all the rumours in.

Alrock
14-Jan-13, 20:04
Digging a mass grave in which to bury the bodies of everybody who dares to moan about the lack of progress....

Kodiak
14-Jan-13, 20:06
Last week in the news it was stated that Tesco had announced a big expansion program and would be spending many millions is opening new stores. So maybe, just maybe they will be starting to build the new store here in Thurso. Mind you I will believe it when I see it.

2little2late
15-Jan-13, 23:53
They were digging themselves a huge hole because they have no where else big enough to dig one.

Rheghead
16-Jan-13, 00:03
As a result of a new ethics trading policy with an emphasis on 'cooperation through business', Tesco building contractors are putting in the foundations in for a new ASDA on the old Mart site as a goodwill gesture for all the bad blood in the past.

2little2late
16-Jan-13, 00:10
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21034942

starfish
16-Jan-13, 00:14
they are probably just doing enough work to keep the council off their backs and no more

dragonfly
16-Jan-13, 08:35
the hole is to bury all the "beef"burgers that they sell that contain 29% horse meat!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9804632/Tesco-beef-burgers-found-to-contain-29-horse-meat.html

Southern-Gal
16-Jan-13, 10:37
Horse meat is called beef or horse beef so when you see a burger or pie with an 'X% beef' label you should know that the beef contained in the pie/burger/sausage could be horse beef, cow beef or more likely a mixture of both :) I 'think' it is quite legal. There will be more problems from including pork and pork derivatives in the 'beef burgers' on religious grounds I would think :)
A lot of horse beef was used when the BSE crisis came and it is quite likely that some firms didnt go back to their old recipes having found a cheap and plentiful substitute that is not against the law.
Perhaps in the light of this more people will look into what they are eating a bit more carefully and the local butcher and the farmer will benefit?

MrChow
16-Jan-13, 10:58
I've heard they are building a few stables while they figure out what to do with the site in the long term. Didn't know they had an equestrian department.

KILTIECAULDBUM
16-Jan-13, 15:10
Horse meat is called beef or horse beef so when you see a burger or pie with an 'X% beef' label you should know that the beef contained in the pie/burger/sausage could be horse beef, cow beef or more likely a mixture of both :) I 'think' it is quite legal. There will be more problems from including pork and pork derivatives in the 'beef burgers' on religious grounds I would think :)
A lot of horse beef was used when the BSE crisis came and it is quite likely that some firms didnt go back to their old recipes having found a cheap and plentiful substitute that is not against the law.
Perhaps in the light of this more people will look into what they are eating a bit more carefully and the local butcher and the farmer will benefit?

Every little helps...... :eek:

Corrie 3
16-Jan-13, 16:04
I had a Tesco burger last week and it left me a little hoarse.

C3.

billmoseley
16-Jan-13, 18:59
I had a Tesco burger last week and it left me a little hoarse.

C3. i tried 1 as well but it gave me the trots but i'm stable now

starfish
16-Jan-13, 19:00
Planning permission for Tesco to build a new supermarket officially ends tomorrow as they re-apply for a three year extension at its Ormlie site. But given no construction has started since they originally won permission in 2007 and admitting that they are considering selling off the land, do you think that they deserve further planning permission? The John O' Groat Journal wants to hear what people in Thurso and throughout Caithness think. thinjk this is why they have been working on the site just to keep the planning permisson and stop another supermarket coming to the area

ducati
16-Jan-13, 21:11
I'm veggie so I'm doing my little dance just now. [lol]

Rheghead
16-Jan-13, 21:27
I've never known why the British are so squeamish about eating horses, just another meat.

Alrock
16-Jan-13, 21:34
I've never known why the British are so squeamish about eating horses, just another meat.

Wouldn't bother me, might of bought some if I'd known, though I'd prefer a nice horse steak or even better a nice roast (anybody know the best cut for roasting?) ....

Rheghead
16-Jan-13, 21:40
Saddleback bacon?

Kodiak
16-Jan-13, 21:41
Wouldn't bother me, might of bought some if I'd known, though I'd prefer a nice horse steak or even better a nice roast (anybody know the best cut for roasting?) ....

Ihink it could be "The Saddle"

Rheghead
16-Jan-13, 21:44
I've tried it already, it's dry as leather.

Alrock
16-Jan-13, 21:46
I've tried it already, it's dry as leather.

What about Dog... Have you tried that?

Rheghead
16-Jan-13, 21:48
Yeah, special meat Chow mein

secrets in symmetry
16-Jan-13, 21:53
I had a Tesco burger today, I still have a bit between my teeth.
-

Rheghead
16-Jan-13, 21:53
I've also tried camel meat.............but only in a dessert. :lol:

secrets in symmetry
16-Jan-13, 22:01
I've also tried camel meat.............but only in a dessert. :lol:Delicious. It's best after a hors d'ouvre for starters and a Tesco burger with horseradish for your mane course.

andyw
16-Jan-13, 22:58
Ive heard beef burgers were o/k as to a stable diet

ducati
17-Jan-13, 00:29
AAAGHHH! Make it stop, make it stop.

golach
17-Jan-13, 00:39
so thats what happened to Shergar :(

ducati
17-Jan-13, 00:40
Thats it! The next one will get the hoof! :eek:

Shaggy
17-Jan-13, 00:57
If you have been put off by Tesco's burgers, then why not try their meatballs? i hear they are the dogs bollox :-)

or if you are concerned about HMV closing down, i hear Tescos are accepting their gift vouchers (Horse Meat Vouchers)

secrets in symmetry
17-Jan-13, 01:32
It's 'e humour o' Caithness loons.

But where are 'e quines? :cool:

joxville
17-Jan-13, 03:13
'e quinces are at 'e stove cookin burgers :-)

Shaggy
17-Jan-13, 11:36
apparently this debacle has cost Tesco £300M already with that amount being wiped off their share value in the last 24 hours. Someone will pay for this and it won't be Tesco....

On a lighter note, i had breakfast in Tesco this morning and the assistant asked if i'd like anything on my burger? i said yes please, a fiver each way would be nice thanks

majic
17-Jan-13, 15:28
Isn't this nice a bit of horseing around for a change

calish6
18-Jan-13, 17:34
Checked the date on the ones in the fridge...and they're offff !!
What are the odds on that ??

mey999
18-Jan-13, 18:24
I wish you would all stop horsing around

M Swanson
18-Jan-13, 18:28
You're such a nag! ;)