PDA

View Full Version : Music Downloads

bedlam
28-Dec-06, 23:33
I am looking for a recommendation for a music download site for an MP3 player. I use iTunes but don't think it's compatible with other players. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Conscience
28-Dec-06, 23:35
iTunes is compatible with anything. All you have to do is burn the music to disk, then rip it into another player, like Windows Media Player for example. Then you can sync it with any mp3 player you want.

Stumurf
29-Dec-06, 00:01
not completely true conscience, if the track is downloaded in AAC format, which is apples standard format, the MP3 Player has to be capable of playing an AAC file, and not all do.

If you stick with MP3 format files you should be fine.

I test my music before purchase using "torrents"...

jamieS
29-Dec-06, 07:55
You could try either one of these sites they allow you to buy individual tracks from albums or the complete album.

http://www.hmvdigital.com

http://www.virgindigital.co.uk

gollach
29-Dec-06, 10:41
not completely true conscience, if the track is downloaded in AAC format, which is apples standard format, the MP3 Player has to be capable of playing an AAC file, and not all do.

If you stick with MP3 format files you should be fine.

I test my music before purchase using "torrents"...

Conscience is right enough. If you download from iTunes and then burn the music to disk to make an audio cd (one that any cd player would play) then you can rip the new audio cd into any format, mp3, etc. that you want.

Stumurf
29-Dec-06, 12:11
Conscience is right enough. If you download from iTunes and then burn the music to disk to make an audio cd (one that any cd player would play) then you can rip the new audio cd into any format, mp3, etc. that you want.

i didnt say conscience was wrong, granted, thanks to you i know understand what he was saying.

i am not trying to be smart... just helpful...

ripping audio CD musc with meda player is fair enough but thats based on owning media player 10 and above, you couldnt rip MP3 music wth meda player 9 without installing a third party MP3 codec and changing the default option of ripping Music in WMA format and removing the automatic acquisition of a licence, if you wanted versatility with your music collecton. which thankfully doesnt apply to MP3.

I also believe that tunes has an option, like media player of tryng to convert the files before they are sync'd to a player, potentialy making them AAC.
the user would have to know how to turn that off. (if true) but i dont use itunes so dont know for defninate.

I hated the way i had to turn off the convert option in media player 10 every time i sync'd. as i only own high quality MP3 and meda player would try to make the files smaller so that more would fit on the player, very kind, but annoying.

i then saw the light and went back to the latest winamp pro. or drag and drop the files if in a hurry.

Sorry to complicate things i was just trying to help.

bedlam
30-Dec-06, 10:20
thanks for all the replies. I don't consider myself a total technophobe, but do find this all quite complicated! I should really have just bought my daughter an iPOD for Christmas so she could share my iTUNES, but they are quite expensive. I'm going on to a bigger challenge now - trying to copy my iPOD music collection from my iPOD on to my new PC. I will end up with everything where it should be, or a pile of corrupted files. Wish me luck...!