PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Telly

bedlam
28-Dec-06, 23:25
Is it just me or is the Chrismas telly absolutely atrocious this year? Every time I turn the box on, and that is as seldom as possible, it's the two Ronnie's Sketchbook! What's that all about??? Great soaplines - miserable Pauline Fowler croaks and Bill Webster's philandering is discovered. I'm not aware of any major Chrismas movies being shown - although I did spot Pretty Woman advertised twice within one week and Jurassic Park was on yesterday - AGAIN!! I have some Sky channels and they are just as bad. Is it any wonder that some of the joy seems to have gone out of the festive season......!!

Fluff
29-Dec-06, 00:08
i dont know, i thought it was ok this year. i have not been watching a huge amount of tv, but there have been some good tv shows and some good films, esp during the daytime.

Ricco
29-Dec-06, 06:38
I always think that Christmas telly is rubbish anyway. I think the broadcasters reckon we are too sozzled to notice. They always show the same things every year.

mareng
29-Dec-06, 07:10
Absolute rubbish on TV, and the worst to me - are all the programs made out of viewers' photos and video clips, taken throughout the year.

We have to pay a license fee to the BBC and then they make programs out of free content from the punters - brilliant strategy by them.

The worst is when you see videos taken of events like the tsunami and London bombings, by people that are more intent on getting video clips on their phones that proclaim "I was there!" than helping victims.

(rant over)

jamieS
29-Dec-06, 07:43
I have to agree the xmas telly was rubbish and from the listings I don't think New Year telly is any better. The films and soaps on ITV are then being repeated on ITV2. The BBC are showing kids films late at night (mind you they are all guilty of this through out the year).

rainbow
29-Dec-06, 09:55
It was the worst year yet - total crap!!!!!!

emszxr
29-Dec-06, 10:06
the only movie i really wanted to see was monsters inc, and that was on christmas day when we were sitting down to christmas dinner. terrible time to put it on. people shouldnt be watching telly on christmas day, well i certainly didnt get a chace too

badger
29-Dec-06, 17:04
So if people shoudn't be watching telly on Christmas Day, what do you suggest that the many who spend the day alone do? Don't assume everyone is surrounded by big happy families. Having said that I agree, tv mainly over the whole period has been rubbish and much of what was shown before the so-called 9.0 watershed was totally unsuitable for children. I recorded Peter and the Wolf for my grandchildren as have wanted this for some time and thought it couldn't possibly be ruined. How wrong can you be? Fortunately I watched it as the original commentary was gone and replaced by ugly puppets and some quite horrible violent scenes which had no place at all in this story. There are some very sick people in charge of the media.

paris
29-Dec-06, 18:47
Tv at xmas was great 20 yrs ago, not anymore, its all repeats. jan x

johno
29-Dec-06, 19:31
[quote=Ricco;176736]I always think that Christmas telly is rubbish anyway. I think the broadcasters reckon we are too sozzled to notice. They always show the same things every year.[/quote
You are spot on, Christmas tv was rubbish as it is every year. i wonder how the beeb would react if we all just used last years tv licence for last years programs. But then sky isnt much better,
[disgust]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
29-Dec-06, 22:22
The Christmas Day Movie used to be the one.Pressies open,16 selection boxes ate and then all the family sat down to watch the movie.Days have gone,the DVD age is here.Monsters Inc,was this years one,brilliant film but had already seen it fifteen times.

In the days of yore,the Christmas Day Movie ye had never seen before,ye settled doon to watch it for the first time.

I'm no dissin repeats cos I spent this year's Boxing Day watchin the 3 Christmas episodes of Only Fools and Horses back to back.Classics!:lol:

Fran
29-Dec-06, 22:44
I wasn't impressed with christmas TV but i did enjoy the fil m "Calender Girls" which was a nice film for the family to watch. Maybe new year will be better.

mccaugm
30-Dec-06, 00:52
It seemed to be that they ran all the sequels...i.e. Jurrasic Park 1, 2 & 3...Back to the Future 1, 2 & 3...etc...good films but they were made 15/20 years ago. You expect more up to date films...but like previously stated everyone has SKY/DVD/HD...etc..etc Did watch Monsters Inc...great family film. Also although I have seen it before I did watch The Pirates of the Caribbean...great film.

mareng
30-Dec-06, 09:57

............ so, you must be happy that they are recreating 20yr-old Christmas entertainment????

(I know what you mean)

bedlam
30-Dec-06, 10:25
Christmas 20 years ago - I can vaguely remember!! A Shakin Stevens album, Oor Wullie annual and some Mr Matey bubble bath. A couple of satsumas in the bottom of the stocking and we were happy! Well, maybe not quite. Nostalgically speaking, New Year was so much different then too, with people popping in and out each other's houses. It used to last for days. Fingers crossed for good weather for the street party so that there is something to do to mark the occasion!

Ricco
30-Dec-06, 10:37

.. and they are still using those films! lol

[quote=Ricco;176736]I always think that Christmas telly is rubbish anyway. I think the broadcasters reckon we are too sozzled to notice. They always show the same things every year.[/quote
You are spot on, Christmas tv was rubbish as it is every year. i wonder how the beeb would react if we all just used last years tv licence for last years programs. But then sky isnt much better,
[disgust]

That is a splendid idea, johno. Maybe oone of us should send an e-mail to the BBC and ITV broadcasters. ;)

johno
30-Dec-06, 19:20
.. and they are still using those films! lol

[quote=johno;176886]

That is a splendid idea, johno. Maybe oone of us should send an e-mail to the BBC and ITV broadcasters. ;)
reckon they will take notice,only if all of us sent the same e mail [disgust]
doubt it?