PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights out Sunday 10pm onwards

richardj
13-Jan-13, 23:38
Just back in from watching the Aurora - Dunnet direction

justlikethat!
15-Jan-13, 11:18
hi how did you know this was going to happen the site i watch says no activity so i miss it thanks tim

richardj
15-Jan-13, 12:17
Hi Tim

It was not mentioned on any of the websites that are supposed to help identify when the Aurora may occur or is happening ... it was just luck. I had gone to Dunnet Head Lighthouse to see what it was like for looking at Jupiter (I did see the moons of Jupiter with binoculars) and after freezing for about 40 minutes I decided to go back home. I arrived home just after 10 pm and then I noticed the Aurora over towards Dunnet / John O'Groats - it lasted about 20 minutes. So it was just luck that I saw it, instead of being inside.

I did look up a three websites that give aurora / space weather information and they did not mention anything was happening - one gave a 4% chance of the Aurora occurring. However on twitter I did find someone else who had actually taken pictures of it https://twitter.com/kasmunro/status/290595756870615040/photo/1/large

Unfortunately my photographic skills have not yet mastered night photography, although I am trying.

So the best I can suggest is just keep checking outside on clear evenings ... hope you are lucky to see it next time

Richard

billmoseley
17-Jan-13, 19:31
the northern lights are out in the betty hill area now 17th at 1830

richardj
17-Jan-13, 19:50
Bill

I have been looking out for it tonight but it is not visible from the Watten area unfortunately. Have you managed to get any pictures?

Richard

billmoseley
17-Jan-13, 19:57
no sorry not good enough for that. me that is not the lights lolol

Rheghead
17-Jan-13, 20:24
northern lights are good right now