PDA

View Full Version : BBC to pay for Savile

tonkatojo
13-Jan-13, 19:27
I personally do not get why the BBC should be paying compensation for the crimes Savile committed, perhaps some on here will enlighten me.
My reasoning is does every public body get sued when these type of crime is committed, such as the local council when a streaker runs in public or the football club when the same or more serious crimes are done or the county council when assault rape or whatever is committed within their jurisdiction or will the police payup for not prosecuting him, I doubt it the usual "lessons will be learnt" statement will be issued.

rich62_uk
13-Jan-13, 19:34
I would think its to do with the fact that they were made aware of what he was but covered it up, allowing him to continue with his abuse.

starfish
13-Jan-13, 20:40
is this money coming from our licence fee if that is the case we are all paying for it not the bbc

joxville
13-Jan-13, 22:03
Starfish, since the BBC is funded by the licence payer then you're correct in your assumption that WE are actually the ones paying the compensation. And at this juncture I'd suggest it's time the BBC was broken up, as the Savile scandal has shown, it's too big and no one higher up seems have have a grasp of what's going on in the place; even the BBC Trust, led by Lard Pratten is clueless.

Flynn
15-Jan-13, 12:13
Starfish, since the BBC is funded by the licence payer then you're correct in your assumption that WE are actually the ones paying the compensation. And at this juncture I'd suggest it's time the BBC was broken up, as the Savile scandal has shown, it's too big and no one higher up seems have have a grasp of what's going on in the place; even the BBC Trust, led by Lard Pratten is clueless.

The BBC 'higher ups' have always known what was going on, right from the 1930s: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v34/n21/andrew-ohagan/light-entertainment

neilsermk1
15-Jan-13, 14:03
If Saville was as rich as has been stated why cant it be recovered from his estate?

tonkatojo
15-Jan-13, 19:43
The BBC 'higher ups' have always known what was going on, right from the 1930s: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v34/n21/andrew-ohagan/light-entertainment

That might be true but it doesn't answer why the BBC should pay compensation for offences committed by Saville, or should it be the "higher ups" as you call them that should be sued not the corporation as a whole.

rich62_uk
15-Jan-13, 20:01
Anyone who covered for him should be punished. I do not believe the BBC itself should pay just the people who kept a lid on it. Name and shame them then put them behind bars regardless of age.