PDA

View Full Version : Highlands & Islands Journalist Awards

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Feb-05, 14:46
I see the reuslts of the annual newspaper backslaping contest have come in. Same old names, same old story. 'Sigh'!

Zael
11-Feb-05, 15:20
Considering that every newspaper from Inverness north is owned by the same company, it is a bit of a joke:

http://www.snpa.org.uk/scottish.htm

So it's more of an "employee of the month" award.

doreenhedgehog
11-Feb-05, 16:06
You are both talking rubbish. Every newspaper in th H&I is not owned by the same company, and many freelances enter these things as well. I'm sure the competition is very strong and these people have done well. I don't know that many of them but I'm sure it's not the same winners every year either.

Congratulations to the two Caithness winners on a WELL DESERVED achievement. It's great to see Caithness people winning awards in any field.

Such bitter and jealous people, tut, tut!

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Feb-05, 16:48
You are both talking rubbish. Every newspaper in th H&I is not owned by the same company, and many freelances enter these things as well. I'm sure the competition is very strong and these people have done well. I don't know that many of them but I'm sure it's not the same winners every year either.

Congratulations to the two Caithness winners on a WELL DESERVED achievement. It's great to see Caithness people winning awards in any field.

Such bitter and jealous people, tut, tut!

No. I just hate competitions. I've won a couple of journalistic awards, too, in my time. I just didn't attend the party, or ask the paper I won it through, to parade me like I was Ciztizen Kane. Still, it's all a bit incestious.

doreenhedgehog
11-Feb-05, 23:27
Don't enter competitions then, but don't slag off the ones that do enjoy success. I think they did great. It's fantastic that the two of them won awards.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Feb-05, 23:54
I never did. Enter compeitions. In my case, I was nominated and asked to attend a prize-giving. I didn't go. But thanked those who put my name forward.

All the highland newspapers are linked.

To be fair, I think the standard of journalism in the north is really rather good. Accepting plaudits for journalism is one thing; blowing your trumpet and stamping it all across your own newspaper is quite another.

samcant
12-Feb-05, 00:01
I dont think "standards" are a consideration in some of what appears in the local print media. The coverage of the windfarm saga(s) is unbalanced to the point of being a parody. Could we play up more to the stereotype of us as rednecks who fear change and the outside world?

Rheghead
12-Feb-05, 00:05
George Gunn's journalistic talents in the Groat can't exactly be described as thorough, impartial or even factually correct. He covers a wide number of issues without even trying to cover his factual credibility.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Feb-05, 00:11
You've got a point there, Samcant. You need balance; and seeing as there is only one newspaper - ok, two, but they're the same people - in Caithness, you'd need the whole of West Caithness sitting on the East side to even up the scale. If you see what I mean.

Speaking of news, I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate all at Caithness.org. Now THEY are doing the job of the local newspaper: providing up-to-date news and information. OK, so caithness.org has its own bias toward certain things. And that's fine. After all, like Noam Chomsky said to an interviewer who asked:

"Noam, if I want an unbiased report, what sort of newspaper do you suggest would present its news with a fair balance?"

Chomsky: "None. There's no such thing as un-bias; everyone has their own particular point of view, train of thought."

Go figure.

samcant
12-Feb-05, 00:25
I like the way The Pepsi Challenge thinks! Maybe we should start a Private Eye-style periodical exposing corruption and stupidity in Caithness-wait, there arent enough trees to produce enough paper to etc etc..................

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Feb-05, 00:27
Samcant, you're the editor-in-chief.

And didn't the ol' folks used to call the local newspaper "the one minute silence"(?).

doreenhedgehog
12-Feb-05, 00:30
To be fair, I think the standard of journalism in the north is really rather good. Accepting plaudits for journalism is one thing; blowing your trumpet and stamping it all across your own newspaper is quite another.
Well, Alan hendry has done it for all the other Caithness winners in the past why should he not enjoy such a great honour himself?

All the highland newspapers are linked. .

Rubbish. Look at the list of winners and work out how many are 'linked'

What did you win then? Obviously nothing as important as these guys or it wouldn't hurt so much. Bitterness and jealousy are not nice traits.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Feb-05, 00:33
Touche, doreen, touche. :)