PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace ash

mirandarainbow
13-Jan-13, 11:08
I wonder if anyone can give me some advice?

I burn coal in my wood burning stove and keep it going constantly. Every morning I empty the ash into a metal bin but it is never cool enough the following day to empty, even though it is outside with the lid off. Consequently, the bin fills up and the ash is constantly too warm to bag up and bin.

I've been thinking about creating an ash pit in the garden. Can anyone advise me about this? Cheers

Beat Bug
13-Jan-13, 13:10
I know that if you burn woodmor peat the ash can go on the compost heap. Not sure about coal thbough!

davem
13-Jan-13, 14:13
You can get "Tippy" a galvanised box with a lid, -put the ash can in flat, shut the lid then lift up and take it outside and then pull the ash can out and put it back in the stove.
Mine I fill - let cool and bag it, if there is a bit of ash to get rid of b4 its cool, that goes in a galvanised bucket. Or just 2 buckets! - I just like the idea that there is less dust because the ash container has a lid. An ash pit would have to be awfully big for a year or twos worth of ash.

davem
13-Jan-13, 21:10
I think they're about £40 Serendipity has them.

Southern-Gal
14-Jan-13, 18:14
Have two metal bins on the go when one is nearly full start using the other one so it has lots of time to cool down before you need to empty it.
Then you could bag it up and put it in your normal refuse bin.

DIM1
17-Jan-13, 00:18
If your ash is staying hot for a day then your fire is not burning your fuel as efficient as it could. If you learn and practice how to maximise the air flow you will save fuel and have nothing but very fine ash to dispose of, as davem has said, a Tippy is a good way of letting that cool before bagging it.

dx100uk
17-Jan-13, 03:36
as indicated

is your ash, actually ash or larger lumps

check you have the right grate too and its not damaged

if it is a good 'bodge' is to put one of the grate from an old disposable Bar.b.que in the bottom

that way it will only let the tiny stuff through
makes the fire burn longer for a load of wood/coal too.

dx