PDA

View Full Version : Laughable Refund Experience

BRIE
11-Jan-13, 14:53
My husband bought me a Pandora Bracelet for Christmas from Chisolm Hunter in Inverness which was to small, we took it back to the shop on the Wednesday after New Year to swap it (100 miles)to be told no stock until the Friday, so we went back down on the Friday & still no stock it would be in Tuesday!
Went again Tuesday still no stock! So I ring today to check if they had stock to be told the company has none what so ever & didnt know when or if they would get any in but they would put one aside for me when they did, I asked if I could just have a refund instead & yes this was no trouble at all, so off down to Inverness again got to the shop asked for a refund & yes no problem at all BUT we don't actually have any cash in the shop to give you a refund as we haven't had enough customers today! I explain that I have now travelled 800 miles in total trying to change the bracelet, they apologise & say I could leave the bracelet with the shop & they will post me a refund when they do have cash. So I ask when that would be to be told well we don't exactly know it depends when we get a big cash paying customer as most people now pay by card! Not keen on leaving the shop without a bracelet or refund I ask if she will keep money to one side in safe & I will return for a refund when they do have money but no their not allowed to do this because they bank taking everyday! Now if the bracelet had been very expensive ok I might be a little bit understanding but for £55!! do shops really not have this much in their tills???
So im now off to ring their head office once ive stopped laughing at how ridiculous it is!:lol:

outsidethebox
11-Jan-13, 15:04
you would have better putting it in the bin and saving the petrol money :roll: :lol:

Corrie 3
11-Jan-13, 17:06
A typical reason for shopping local I would say!!

C3.

Southern-Gal
11-Jan-13, 22:38
Why cant they just post you a cheque?

lexie
12-Jan-13, 11:22
couldn't they just refund back on to your card ?

rob1
12-Jan-13, 12:05
What right do you have in asking for a refund in the first place?

BRIE
12-Jan-13, 13:01
What right do you have in asking for a refund in the first place?

Why wouldn't I have a right??
The bracelet was too small so not fit for the purpose it was sold & the shop was unable to offer me a replacement therefor I am entitled to a refund, that & the fact I had a receipt with a 28day no quibble guarantee on the back ;)
They couldnt put money back on my card because it was a cash sale :S

Droopy
12-Jan-13, 13:08
Have to say, anyone that travels 4 times to Inverness to change a bracelet probably needs more than a refund........

outsidethebox
12-Jan-13, 13:38
The bracelet was too small so not fit for the purpose it was sold & the shop was unable to offer me a replacement therefor I am entitled to a refund, that & the fact I had a receipt with a 28day no quibble guarantee on the back ;)

You would not have a legal right to a refund on that basis BRIE, but it's good that the shop is prepared to make a good will gesture and refund the money. Whether it fits you or not does not affect it's fitness for purpose. If your husband had told them the measurement of your wrist and it had not then fit it may be possible to argue that he had relied on their skill in selecting the specific item which might have given legal grounds for a refund.

Even the 28 day no quibble guarantee probably would not give any legal grounds for a refund as from what you say there is nothing wrong with the item supplied.

rob1
12-Jan-13, 13:48

Unless the store has a specific returns policy, you would struggle to get your money back. When you buy a product it must be of satisfactory quality, as discribed, fit for purpose and last a resonable lenght of time. That fact your husband bought the the bracelet too small does not meen that it is not fit for purpose (it is still a fully functioning bracelet with no fault). The responsability lies with the person that bought it. If for example the braclet was sold as to fit a wrist of 6inches and it was only 5 inches in total and therefore would not fit then although it is not faults and fit for purpose, it is not as disribed and then you are intitled under law for a refund. (Source:http://www.moneysavingexpert.com)

As it happens they do have a returns policy. It would have been helpful if you incuded that fact in the first place.

BRIE
12-Jan-13, 14:46
Sorry I should of stated that my husband was given a gift receipt incase it didn't fit as they recommended the size to buy. I didn't go to the shop with the intention of getting a refund I just wanted a bracelet that fitted they were unable to do this hence why they were happy to refund. But this wasn't my issue , it was the fact that I or any other customer who went into the store for a refund was unable to have one due to the store not having funds! To me this is a little ridiculous to say the least.

mi16
12-Jan-13, 17:21
I guess they cannot give what they do not have

secrets in symmetry
13-Jan-13, 01:54
So im now off to ring their head office once ive stopped laughing at how ridiculous it is!:lol:Did you get any joy from their head office?

BRIE
15-Jan-13, 14:19
No!! I've rang them 4 times now to be told the area manager is looking into it, I rang again today to be told oh we looked into it & the shop said they offered you a refund! I then had to explain to them yet again why I was complaining! Grr. I am now apparently waiting on a phone call from the shop manager who was told to get in touch with me yesterday! So We will see if that actually happens

secrets in symmetry
16-Jan-13, 01:12
That's not encouraging. Keep us posted!

grannymoose
16-Jan-13, 11:46
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/

All info required.