PDA

View Full Version : wick cannon moved?

kev the wicker
11-Jan-13, 13:25
hi folks,as a wicker i remember playing on the cannon down by the river for many years as i am sure many of you do as well,i also took my kids to see and play at the cannon. I would like to know if any1 knows why the cannon was moved to the harbour after spending so many years on top of the hill by the river? I can understand that it is now on show to more people of the town and holiday makers visiting wick, was this the main reason it was moved? Many thanks kev.

sids
11-Jan-13, 15:05
Any reason or no reason. I think they're waiting for a car to cut the corner and hit it.

dunbrake
11-Jan-13, 18:46
Kev found this for you

A piece of Wick’s heritage will be restored to its original setting at the town’s harbour this week.
The fog cannon, dating back to the late 1800s, was shifted to the riverside after being taken out of service.
The relic lay abandoned, surrounded by grass and weeds, until Wick Harbour Authority had it refurbished and returned to its former site at the port.
It was originally a signal gun, used to alert local fishermen to fog.
Authority vice-chairman Gordon Doull said: “We are grateful to the local businesses who helped recover the cannon and transported it back to the harbour workshops where volunteers have completely refurbished it.”
It will be unveiled at the Diamond Jubilee HarbourFest on Saturday.

kev the wicker
11-Jan-13, 23:03
many thanks dunbrake i never realised it was originally at the harbour as i only remember it being at the river....many thanks for clearing this up for me m8

ducati
13-Jan-13, 10:34
Any reason or no reason. I think they're waiting for a car to cut the corner and hit it.

Just how drunk/blind are you when you drive? :eek:

sids
13-Jan-13, 17:12
Just how drunk/blind are you when you drive? :eek:

It won't be me, but mark my words!

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh236/tritonthrasher/image-20_zpsa6a6af93.jpg