PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

wifie
28-Dec-06, 15:02
I have a very disappointed 8 yr old who got two gamepads for Christmas and we cannot get them to work. We have WindowsXP on a Compaq pc bought about 1 yr ago. On box it says minimum requirements IBM compatible PC with USB port. Micorsoft Windows 98, 2000 & Me. Hubs has been trying to get them to work with no joy. We hoped he could use these for games on the computer ie BBC, etc as he batters the keyboard and is not doing the pull out table any favours. Hubs also tried some games we got free with the computer and they say we need updates. Any help would be appreciated.

Stumurf
28-Dec-06, 23:29
once you have plugged the gamepads into the usb port you should be asked to install them, its here where you need the CD that (hopefully) came with them.

Choosing the automatic install option usually works, as windows will search the CD for the files it needs to install and make the joypads work.
Sometimes the files windows needs are hidden inside a file, so if it fails its not a problem.

If it does fail, you need to open "my computer" and then open the cd rom icon that has the CD inside it, Normally the CD will have an autoplay program that will take you straight to the installation screen and just read and respond, there should be nothing too technical.
If not, there is usually a file called setup.exe on the screen that opens, open this file should take you through the installation as mentioned above.

As for the games updates, there is usually a file to select in the same folder as the file you are selecting that loads the game, or a choice to update as soon as the game is loaded. it all depends what type of game and how you load it etc...

If you have some games working and the joypad isnt responding, you normally have to callibrate them.
This is usually done by clicking start and selecting Control Panel, or choose my computer and click the "control panel" option on the left.

in here is a file called game controllers, its here that you make sure they work properly and are configured corretly.

Then once back inside the game, you usually have to tell the game what "input controller" you want to use, normally choose the "options" option and then the controller or input device option and then selecting the correct device (your joypads) and saving all the settings.

i hope this helps...

Happy Gaming

Stumurf
28-Dec-06, 23:32
as for the BBC games, they arent really designed to be played using joypads, depending on what language they are programmed in by right clicking on it you may be able to change the input device, but i dont think you can, i maybe wrong.

just so i am not getting confused, when you say bbc games do you mean here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/games/

Or am i being silly.. :lol:

wifie
29-Dec-06, 15:00
Thanks for your help. There was no CD with them but we will pop in to PC World tomorrow and see what they say. Have not had a chance to do that as yet but thought that one of the many Techno Wizzards on the org might be able to help!

blueivy
30-Dec-06, 17:36
Thanks for your help. There was no CD with them but we will pop in to PC World tomorrow and see what they say. Have not had a chance to do that as yet but thought that one of the many Techno Wizzards on the org might be able to help!

Hi wifie,

If you're going to pop into PC World for some technical advice my experience has taught me you'd be as well asking the cat. The guys in there are salesmen not technical. Even their 'technical' department are pretty poor. Just my humble opinion and experience.

I think everything that has been said is what I'd suggest you try. However bear in mind that games need to support a joystick for it to work. You can't just plug in the joystick and off you go. If the game actually supports a joystick you need to tell it to use it and that can normally be done through the Options or Settings within the game itself.

wifie
30-Dec-06, 20:20
Think you are correct Blue Ivy. We were pleased enough when we bought our stuff but we are fairly green when it comes to pcs (especially me) but I have been checking out the technical stuff on the org and it has been interesting. Thanks for your input.