PDA

View Full Version : New Spanish course at Thurso college

Manuela
08-Jan-13, 20:14
Hi

There are places available for a new course in basic Spanish at Thurso College.

The course is and introduction to basic Spanish. The lessons cover different topics from introducing yourself, ordering food at a restaurant, asking for directions, moving around town, etc...

Here is the link to the evening classes brochure: www.northhighland.uhi.ac.uk/nhc_uhi/study-at-nhc/prospectus/evening-classes-2012

Thank you

Manuela

sids
08-Jan-13, 21:53
Sorry, can't find anything about a Spanish class in your link.

What night and time is it on?

Ta

Manuela
08-Jan-13, 22:14
Hi
It is on page 8 of the brochure.
The course will run for 10 weeks starting Wednesday the 6th of February from 7 till 9 pm.

Thanks

Manuela

Manuela
20-Jan-13, 18:42
Bump to top

Manuela
02-Feb-13, 12:48
Still places available for this course. Thanks

secrets in symmetry
02-Feb-13, 13:44
Can I be nosy for a second?

How many people are signed up for this course so far?

I'd like to learn another language. I started learning Italian a few years ago - but I only lasted one day.... :(

MerlinScot
02-Feb-13, 13:59
I'd like to learn another language. I started learning Italian a few years ago - but I only lasted one day.... :(

You shouldn't have given up, it takes time to learn a language. Basically, attending a one year course gives you the skills to order at a restaurant or to be able to do a basic conversation.
This year I'm re-studying German again because I need to and I found out I didn't remember anything after a 4 years course (once a week for 9 months!) and one month in Austria.
It takes a lot of practice to keep the languages 'alive' in your mind.

secrets in symmetry
02-Feb-13, 14:26
I know I shouldn't have given up - but I did.... I think it was partly because I don't have many connections with Italy, and I had no need (nor no plans) to go back there.

For me, learning German properly would be more useful - because I often go there with work, and I know a lot of Germans. :cool:

I'd also consider moving there in the nightmare scenario that this country turns into the doomed downward spiral economic staircase that would be the Banana Republic of Eckland, and England turns into Jessica-George Osborne's despotic right-wing loony land.

Germany is stable, it has a balanced economy, and the natives are more like us than most people will ever know.

secrets in symmetry
02-Feb-13, 14:28
Sorry for hijacking your thread Manuela - although it is the General section, which is here for discussion, so perhaps I'm not that bad....

Good luck with getting more students for your course. :cool:

Manuela
02-Feb-13, 15:05
Thank you secrets in symmetry, I don't know how many people have signed up so far but not enough to run the course according to the college. I have to agree with MerlinScot that it takes a lot of time to learn a language, however this course is a good introduction to Spanish and will give you the basics for using the language whilst on holidays for example, as well as giving you an understanding of how the language "works" and it is a good way to see if you want to continue learning it once the course is finished.

MerlinScot
02-Feb-13, 17:43
For me, learning German properly would be more useful - because I often go there with work, and I know a lot of Germans. :cool:

I'd also consider moving there in the nightmare scenario that this country turns into the doomed downward spiral economic staircase that would be the Banana Republic of Eckland, and England turns into Jessica-George Osborne's despotic right-wing loony land.
Germany is stable, it has a balanced economy, and the natives are more like us than most people will ever know.

I've a couple of friends in Germany and I'll spend 5 weeks there for a training course.
LOL I think I will re-cycle the 'Banana Republic of Eckland' Hahaha
Oh well... I thought Katie Price was taking Cameron's place... It is evident I don't understand anything about Politics...
Unfortunately I can't move to Germany or France, my husband is Scottish (although he keeps saying "I'm British" using a thick Scottish brogue :D ) and doesn't speak any languages, apart from English. He wanted to move to New Zealand but I said that he had to learn Maori before though ... I was just teasing him, of course, although I tried to learn Maori while there... I also attempted to learn Gaelic as well, with no success!

Manuela, I am really sorry to hear there are not enough people to start the course. If I didn't have to study German, it would have been a great idea to sign up for the Spanish course.
I learnt Spanish a few years ago but I'm pretty sure I forgot everything.

secrets in symmetry
02-Feb-13, 20:25
You'd better use the Banana Republic of Eckland label quickly - because it will collapse and need a bailout from the EU/Germany within a year or two of its birth.

I do like the idea of becoming a German citizen - and opposing the bailout. :cool:

MerlinScot
02-Feb-13, 21:34
You'd better use the Banana Republic of Eckland label quickly - because it will collapse and need a bailout from the EU/Germany within a year or two of its birth.I do like the idea of becoming a German citizen - and opposing the bailout. :cool:In this... I hope they don't need any help if they will become independent... Because that would be worst than Greece or Ireland, at least they fell off the wagon after the introduction of the Euro, so they have a valid excuse for bankruptcy...Hahaha well say hi to Germany from me, we will swim to Australia if necessary... :cool:

secrets in symmetry
02-Feb-13, 21:51
There is no doubt that Eckland would need help to avoid collapse after secession. So much of its GDP would depend on the whims of traders that it's almost guaranteed to have a financial crisis within a decade. And that's the good news!