PDA

View Full Version : A seemingly unmentionable website

Slickly
08-Jan-13, 11:29
http://bit.ly/Xh4XSg

I was going to ask on here if anyone could enlighten me as to what caithnesbay.com (deliberately misspelt here with only one 's') is or was.

However, every time I type in the correct name of the website, the word is removed when posted.

What's going on here ? Is this censorship at its most subtle ?

Slickly
08-Jan-13, 11:31
And for the avoidance of any confusion, I mean this site in the attached image.

(I can't even link to the image on the web as its URL contains the unmentionable name)

Shaggy
08-Jan-13, 12:01
works fine for me, i might even be tempted by some of the stuff for sale.....possibly edited/blocked or whatever due to it using the word bay as in a well known auction site

Slickly
08-Jan-13, 12:04
works fine for me

What I meant was that if you trying typing the name of the website into a post on this discussion forum, it is removed. Try it and see by replying to this post.

i might even be tempted by some of the stuff for sale.....

Given that every ad seems to have expired, you may have difficulty.

annemarie482
08-Jan-13, 13:14
You can't type it on here as its a competitor site to here (well the selling section)
I stuck up the link when it first started and got a pm telling me why they'd removed it.
It'll now be added the the list of swear words that aren't accepted when posting reply.

Slickly
08-Jan-13, 13:35
You can't type it on here as its a competitor site to here......It'll now be added the he list of swear words that arnt accepted when posting reply.

Competitor ?!?

Then why not block eBay, or the Groat, or ScotAds, or ....... and the list goes on ?

It doesn't look like anything to fear anyway, as all I can see on it is a couple of clapped out cars and a double glazed window, all of which are more than 12 months out of date.

annemarie482
08-Jan-13, 13:50
Good question, but the reply I received at the time...

thirsaloon
08-Jan-13, 14:27
Forgot all about that website, seem's like a mini ebay. Layout seems good as well.

joxville
08-Jan-13, 17:40
It was started a couple of years ago, I recall the young man canvassing opinions on here before he started it to see if the locals would likely use it. One of the appealing points of the site is it is local, that you wouldn't be getting ripped off with extortionate postal charges by buying down south. However, because it's a classified ads site then it's a direct competitor to this site, which is understandable why they don't allow it to be mentioned on here.

Having said that, I don't know how successful the venture has been but I congratulate the young man for having the gumption to get off his backside and try something, unlike many on here who constantly whine about the pettiest thing but do beggar all to change whatever annoys them.

And I've just remembered, he was going to donate some of the profits to local charities too. So locals got a bargain and charities benefitted too. Winners all round I'd say.

Bobinovich
08-Jan-13, 17:51
I reckon the advent of some very popular local selling groups on Facebook has all but killed the idea...

mi16
09-Jan-13, 13:26
Seems crazy that the very mention of the guys site is prohibited on here.
Have we been relocated to China or something?

secrets in symmetry
12-Jan-13, 00:06
It was started a couple of years ago, I recall the young man canvassing opinions on here before he started it to see if the locals would likely use it. One of the appealing points of the site is it is local, that you wouldn't be getting ripped off with extortionate postal charges by buying down south. However, because it's a classified ads site then it's a direct competitor to this site, which is understandable why they don't allow it to be mentioned on here.

Having said that, I don't know how successful the venture has been but I congratulate the young man for having the gumption to get off his backside and try something, unlike many on here who constantly whine about the pettiest thing but do beggar all to change whatever annoys them.

And I've just remembered, he was going to donate some of the profits to local charities too. So locals got a bargain and charities benefitted too. Winners all round I'd say.I think you're confusing .com with cness.co.uk. The latter was starting up just after (or just before) I joined this forum.