PDA

View Full Version : Climate Change - It's a crazy world

Countryman
27-Dec-06, 14:57
They tell us that we must reduce the energy we use - turn off the standby switch on the TV - help same the worlds resources. We must do this to save the world otherwise the ice caps will melt and we will all be flooded or worse.
So what have we done over the last few weeks and will do until twelth night burn so many xmas lights and decorations, create so much CO2 it will bring disaster forward.
It is a crazy world. Or are the "experts" trying to stop us living a normal life.

Orger
27-Dec-06, 15:42
They tell us that we must reduce the energy we use - turn off the standby switch on the TV - help same the worlds resources. We must do this to save the world otherwise the ice caps will melt and we will all be flooded or worse.
So what have we done over the last few weeks and will do until twelth night burn so many xmas lights and decorations, create so much CO2 it will bring disaster forward.
It is a crazy world. Or are the "experts" trying to stop us living a normal life.

You have a very good point there..

We save as much energy/electricity over the months as we can, then we get to December and then it goes complete opposite, well thats for those that put the lights and stuff up i guess. But thats the hole point of the Xmas spirit.. get a wee bit of crack with the lights and things..

MadPict
27-Dec-06, 16:04
The modern LED lights are pretty energy efficient and pretty cheap to buy so dump all those old Xmas lights and do your bit for the planet.

Maybe buy a rooftop wind generator and use it to power your lights?

Better still, don't have Xmas lights at all. ;)

concerned resident
27-Dec-06, 16:54
As long as you pay Tax on all those electrical items, and then you pay your Green tax on your Petrol etc. Yes its the Tax the Government are interested in, they are not interested in Climate Change, Try to stay Focused on what is taking place, not what they are saying is taking place.

Stumurf
27-Dec-06, 19:15
As long as you pay Tax on all those electrical items, and then you pay your Green tax on your Petrol etc. Yes its the Tax the Government are interested in, they are not interested in Climate Change, Try to stay Focused on what is taking place, not what they are saying is taking place.

yes.. please do take notice of what's happpening.. a few hours of searching and you will be able to find plenty of photographic and documented evidence. not just in this country but all over the world.

Unless you believe that whats happening is natural in the earths "life cycle", many disagree, me being one of them.

It sad the the government's only way to try and change the publics perception and habits is to hurt thier bank accounts, but what does it say about the public when they have to be bribed to try and act responsibly.

i take it these people wont be wanting any help or band aid type response from the government when the winds and the floods affect them? or am i just being nieve??

and yes i do believe that business has a bigger part to play than the general public, but the jobs, the economy... we cant affect them... can we? quite frankly we all need a major overhaul of how we all live our lives and use energy.

you do realise that most of the proposed, not all, green taxes will only affect the people that refuse to change thier ways.

i personally cant wait to speak to a few friends in about 30 years, thats my timeframe for when quite a few major occurances should overlap and make this place (earth) a very interesting place to exist for those that aren't ready and haven't adapted.

I only hope that i am very, very wrong and would rather be told "told you so" than be right, but what if?????

and please can i not have the usual responses of, "but those over there aren't doing anything so why should I?"

i didnt want to post this but fred's "time person of the year post" from another thread compels me to.

_Ju_
27-Dec-06, 19:27
yes.. please do take notice of what's happpening.. a few hours of searching and you will be able to find plenty of photographic and documented evidence. not just in this country but all over the world.

Stumurf, I don't have to search very hard or very long: I have 4 beautiful pink roses in the garden and two more in bud doing just fine. How "normal" is that in Caithness, in December? I wasn't living during the first world war, but then winter was already set in at this time, with snow laid on the ground...sometimes for weeks!

Each of us can do only what we feel able to do. But maybe when things are far along (maybe too far to do anything at all?) we'll all find out that we are able to do alot more.... human nature.

Earth will survive and maybe we will too, but not with the type of technology we have now.

Bobbyian
27-Dec-06, 20:43
IŽll go along with that JU I remember when 58 winter we were snowed in Scotscalder for 3 months we used the train fairly regulaly but a car was just asking for trouble on the way, but for us kids It Was Great.