PDA

View Full Version : Talk talk

Macwull
05-Jan-13, 11:46
Hi, just wondering if anyone here is with talk talk in wick and getting speeds of between 11-20mb that talktalk are quoting. Overheard a sub contractor about a month back saying that he had installed talktalk gear in the exchanges in wick and thurso but not sure if its true.

Cheers

Shaggy
05-Jan-13, 12:53
Don't think you will get those speeds in Wick until the exchange is sorted out and upgraded like Thurso. I'm getting a steady 6.5mb speed now with Plusnet but it took 4 months of moaning to Plusnet that BT were the culprit with their IP profiling of my line speed set at 2mb max and coupled with dodgy cables.

Heres some links to keep you informed

For line speed and to check your IP profile settings, use

www.http://speedtester.bt.com

For exhange information and LLU operators in Wick or Thurso check

Thurso - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSTHU

Wick - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSWIC

Flynn
05-Jan-13, 14:36
Before switching to Talktalk read some reviews.

http://reviews.money.co.uk/TalkTalk-Broadband.htm

Dialyser
05-Jan-13, 16:39
I was with TalkTalk from when they took over Tiscali. I stuck with them for quite a while and never saw more than 2mb, however the speed was very variable (often being little better than dial-up speed). I switched to BT about 18 months ago and rarely see anything other than 6.5mb, the only drawback has been the extra cost.

Beat Bug
05-Jan-13, 22:29
My daughter signed up for TalkTalk a few years ago. They were so c@@p that she set her email address as: theyareuseless@talktalk.... She never used it!

cesare
05-Jan-13, 22:29
i can confirm that talk talk has upped the speed, i had to phone aol tonight as i had no tinternet today, after gettin my connection issues resolved i asked the guy why it was showing 13000, apparently they have rolled it out and its to become faster over next couple of months

my stats wick
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 13099 kbps -it was 8000 odd before
UpStream Connection Speed 938 kbps

http://i47.tinypic.com/9sgsag.png

Macwull
06-Jan-13, 01:24
Thanks again for your replies. As I say a mixed bag of reviews prob swaying towards negative but my wife's parents are currently getting 0.27mb with bt yet there next door neighbour with talk talk is getting 4mb. Thanks cesarewas at my uncles fixing his aol broadband today and noticed he also had an upload speed of 0.74 whereas I'm currently getting .36 max! Download speed of 3.4mb in papigoe yet in wick I was getting 1.97 at the same time. Others that I spoke to though are only getting .5mb in wick. Strange!

cesare
06-Jan-13, 03:02
i think as far as i know talktalk/tiscali/aol/carphone warehouse are all the same company i use post office for my line rental i stay away from bt as there the biggest crooks i have ever encounterd

Beat Bug
06-Jan-13, 10:19
All lines are ownes by BT. Others rent from them, and if there are any problems, it's BT who have to sort them out.

Moonboots
06-Jan-13, 12:00
Just moving from TalkTalk as the biggest speed ive had is 4.5 and that was over the xmas/newyear. Most i usually have is 1.3
Going to Sky as they gave me a good deal and also giving me around 17Mb but will see what happens lol.

cesare
06-Jan-13, 18:54
All lines are ownes by BT. Others rent from them, and if there are any problems, it's BT who have to sort them out.

oh trust me i know.. the monopoly effect...only in scotland eh...:roll: cant wait till american firms start over here and bt goes bust

RecQuery
07-Jan-13, 08:53
To clarify there are some exchange upgrades for Wick in process. I've seen people with TalkTalk and AOL be on ADSL2+ speeds. There are also some VP upgrades scheduled for later on in January and in February.

Miss Dizzy
07-Jan-13, 15:50
Thinking of going with Talk Talk, one word for you DON'T. I have had a very bad experience with them - they push you into renewing a contract (which wasn't due for renewal) saying that your contract expires that day. I cancelled within the cooling off period and received a very hefty bill for breaking the contract. If it wasn't for the help of citizen's advice I don't know what I would have done. Citizen's advice sorted it all out and I had to pay nothing.

Neil Howie
07-Jan-13, 22:25
For what its worth,

my download speed tonight is 5.86 in Wick, (BT)

fairly happy with that

Colin Manson
09-Jan-13, 21:08
General Information
Exchange name: Wick
Exchange code: NSWIC
Postcode: KW15ED
Maps: Our map | Multimap | Streetmap
Serves (approx): 3,897 residential premises
366 non-residential premises.
Broadband availability overview
ADSL: Yes
SDSL: No
LLU services: No
Cable: No
Wireless: No

BT Wholesale information
ADSL status: Enabled as of 30/06/2004
ADSL Max status: Enabled as of 31/03/2006
SDSL status: Not available
21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/05/2013
FTTC status: Not available

Looks like we're all getting upgraded eventually. :D

Shaggy
09-Jan-13, 21:22
Nah, BT will move the date again when it gets nearer to the end of May. They have done this for the last couple of years and they promised the exchange would be fully upgraded by Q1 last year....but on a side note, if the price is reasonable then i will move to BT. Using 3rd world suppliers like Talk-Talk, Plusnet, etc etc is a joke most of the time.

Note that the LLU services states "no"? so when that changes, the competition should have cheaper access to lines & rental etc but whether they pass the savings on to the customer remains to be seen

Kirdon
09-Jan-13, 21:57
Heard talk talk and aol customers have been getting "migrated" onto different equipment in WICK since last week and that explains why some of them are having problems. Think it is due to be finished tomorrow.

RecQuery
10-Jan-13, 13:55
Though this article specifically talks about FTTC and availability checkers, the same applies in general - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/09/bt_asa_rulling_over_fttc_product/

George Brims
10-Jan-13, 18:44
For line speed and to check your IP profile settings, use

www.http://speedtester.bt.com

Well for one thing you typed that link wrong, but once I had it sorted out I got a good example of how messed up BT service must be. It said my download speed is 8.25 Mb/s. The Cnet one at http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/ gives me 39.6, which is definitely closer to the mark.

Flynn
10-Jan-13, 20:53
To test your line speed use this:

http://www.speedtest.net

chris.cardwell
11-Jan-13, 00:14
Do yourself a favour and avoid talktalk. I tried to go with them when I moved here and had nothing but hastle. Their customer service is probably the worse I have ever experienced, certainly the worst for any ISP ive ever been with. 4 times they lost my details when I was trying to set up as a new customer with them. No apologies, just excuses. Ive some friends who are with them and they say the same, terrible customer service. Speed wise for up here I hear BT is the best and that who I am now with and theyre excellent.

kev the wicker
11-Jan-13, 14:08
when i rang talk talk to cancel my broadband the guy on the phone asked me why i was leaving talk talk when i explained why(they were crap) his response was "well we did just recieve the worst provider of the year award"...that is 100% true...that should tell you all you need to know about talk talk....just dont do it?..there are much better providers out there.

blink_182
12-Jan-13, 22:43

This is what I'm getting with AOL at the moment in wick, decent like

Gizmo
22-Jan-13, 11:49
21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/05/2013

Looks like we're all getting upgraded eventually. :D

Colin, in simple terms, what does that actually mean for the exchange?

Bobinovich
22-Jan-13, 23:43
I know it's not Wick, but I had it confirmed from a Talk Talk customer tonight that TT have joined Sky in unbundling in the Thurso exchange. This means that Talk Talk (& older Tiscali) customers should now get their broadband free when they have a phone & broadband package.

Moira
23-Jan-13, 00:08
Do you have any idea how this is affecting the Wick exchange, Bobinovich? I'd be delighted to know, having fought a fruitless battle with BT these past few months.

Bobinovich
23-Jan-13, 00:32
Certainly for months in the run up to Thurso's recent exchange upgrade I had experienced, and had others' reports of, numerous short broadband disconnections as well as slow speeds, but these have mostly dried up somewhat of late. I only hope the same can be said of Wick exchange once it's done, so long as you can bear with it.

Moira
23-Jan-13, 00:39
Thanks Bobinovich, we live in hope.....:)

Colin Manson
23-Jan-13, 06:01
It means that we get ADSL2+ which is 24 Mbit/s.

Crackeday
23-Jan-13, 07:25
Strange things happening indeed. Im with John lewis through Plusnet and cant fault them, great service and cheap too with No restrictions. Just ran the speed test and Im geeting 13mb, dont know why but good times!!
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2455956797.png

Gizmo
23-Jan-13, 11:29
It means that we get ADSL2+ which is 24 Mbit/s.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that was the actual broadband upgrade or if it was just an upgrade to the network that would allow ADSL+2 to be installed in the future.

bluechesse
24-Jan-13, 07:49
I was with tiscali until talk talk took over. Ten stayed with them till last month. I can't say I had any customer service horror stories, and I just left due to a move to Oz with work and they couldn't have been nicer. However, I did think Of anything my speed slowed down over the last year. To the point I was getting less than 1 mbps sometimes, and never more an 3. Couldn't even watch a YouTube vid with out it freezing.Interestingly enough, we are currently in an apartment in Brisbane, looking for a house. Wireless here is about 20 bucks a day, so went to the Telstra shop and bought a 3G mobile broadband router. It's about the size of an iPhone and allows you to run all your devices off 3G, it's a per paid thing so you top it up. Currently getting 3.62 mbps download speed...... That's faster then talk talk ever were and its off a 3G portable device.......

calish6
24-Jan-13, 10:50
After years of complaint with Talk Talk about level of service and constantly having speeds of less than 1 meg, got a letter
last week saying that the Thurso exchange is being upgraded on the 23rd Jan.
Hey presto - last night at t-time (peakish sort of time) I got over 10 meg ! whey hey !!!
I can now watch HD and 3D on line.
I might now stay with Talk Talk, but their customer service is still p*sh.
I'm no way racist, but having to try and explain problems to somebody who only speaks broken english
is very trying !!!