PDA

View Full Version : BT broadband and openreach

nes
03-Jan-13, 17:33
I wonder if anyone else has had problems with BT broadband in the Castletown area. We lost our broadband over xmas and after the usual tortuous process of talking to the BT foreign helpline we were told there was a network problem and openreach wouldnt be able to look at it until Jan 14th.
As I access all my business email and other work related things through the internet its giving me a huge problem unless I can get them to repair it faster.
All attempts to get BT to do this so far have failed as they just tell me openreach sets the time and isnt anything to do with them ( not true ) and you cant call openreach as they wont talk to BT broadband customers.
Any ideas how I can get this resolved quicker ?
Changing to another provider doesnt seem to help as they all use openreach for fault repairs I am told.

cptdodger
03-Jan-13, 18:26
I live in Castletown and have had no problems with my BT Broadband. I also worked for the BT Business Broadband Complaints team in Dundee. I'm afraid they are quite right about Openreach, we used to have contacts within Openreach and BT Wholesale a few years back, but Ofcom got involved and decreed that BT had an unfair advantage when it came to supplying Broadband and decided all the ISP's had to be treated the same, which effectively tied our hands. Also, Openreach are not "customer facing". The only thing I can advise you to do is start the complaints process as quickly as you can, if you are not happy with what you are being told by them - escalate and keep escalating until you get the problem resolved. I have no idea where the Business complaints are being with now, I left in 2007, and at that point there was talk of the complaints being outsourced to an Indian call centre. Whether that happened or not I do not know.

poppett
03-Jan-13, 20:45
If all else fails an email to BT`s CEO will do the trick. He hates it when his company let down paying customers. If you can`t find him online pm me and I will give you details.

cptdodger
03-Jan-13, 22:20
Sorry, I should have asked, is it a dedicated business line that you are having problems with, or residential. The only reason I'm asking is, although broadband is not guaranteed (I'm sure you have been told that already !) If it is a business line, then they might be able to offer you goodwill for any business you have lost due to loss of service. However, if you are trying to access your business emails and work related things on a residential line, I doubt you will get goodwill. But there is no harm in trying.

EDDIE
06-Jan-13, 17:39
Are you signed up to the free wifi with Bt? if u are u might be able to log onto a bt open zone or fon router if there is other bt customers that stay beside u
The bt free wifi it works with fon all the bt customers that sign up to free wifi agree to share a little bit of there broadband connection so everybody shares thats how they have so much hotspots in the uk?
So in theory if ure neighbor next door is on bt and signed up to free wifi there router is bt hotspot u can log onto that providing your signed up to free wifi with bt

JSutherland-West
06-Jan-13, 19:00
I am in Castletown also, we lost our broadband just before new year. PlusNet told us BT Openreach wouldn't be able to fix until the 8th Jan. However our broadband came back on yesterday. PlusNet closed the call saying there was a line card fault and the card was replaced.

Kirdon
08-Jan-13, 20:54
I am in Castletown also, we lost our broadband just before new year. PlusNet told us BT Openreach wouldn't be able to fix until the 8th Jan. However our broadband came back on yesterday. PlusNet closed the call saying there was a line card fault and the card was replaced.

So does that mean that plusnet were lying to you as openreach do not deal with line cards ?.

MANDOLINMAN
23-Jan-13, 17:12
Hi Bob.....