PDA

View Full Version : Vote for Change? If Only ...........!

M Swanson
03-Jan-13, 13:51
I've just read a post by Squidge in the Blair's Legacy thread and I can see exactly where she's coming from. I think one of our biggest problems today, is that so few of us can see a difference in policies, or outcomes from our political masters. I think people feel powerless to make a difference - a feeling of helplessness and inability to change things. So why bother to vote? There's nobody to represent them and democracy is the biggest loser. So, I thought how good it would be if we could scrap the present system and start anew. A pipe-dream I know, but here's a few ideas I'd start with:-

A referendum on staying, or leaving the EU.

A referendum on Scottish Independence.

Dismantle the BBC and start again. This time without a political bias.

Scrap Trident.

Ditch the European Courts of Human Rights and work on beefing up our own Bill of Rights.

And these from someone who, for the first time in her life, feels no political allegiance to anyone. Any more for the pot? :)

Rheghead
03-Jan-13, 14:14
I think the tories and Labourites will diminish in popularity over time. I think the growing powers in UK politics will be UKIP and an amalgamated party of Labour, LibDem and the Green party with the latter providing the framework of policies.

M Swanson
03-Jan-13, 14:18
Thanks Rheg. You could well be right. Any ideas to add to the pot? We can all dream. :)

Alrock
03-Jan-13, 14:59
A referendum on Scottish Independence.

Already happening... you been living under a rock?

A referendum on staying, or leaving the EU.

See above... Apparently we are getting kicked out if the vote is Yes....

Dismantle the BBC and start again.

See above again, with a Yes vote the BBC would have to be dismantled...

Scrap Trident.

See above yet again, with a Yes vote Trident will go.

Ditch the European Courts of Human Rights and work on beefing up our own Bill of Rights.

Once again see above, with a Yes vote we would apparently be out of the EU so by default we would be out of the European Courts as well.

So.... Do you support Scottish Independence, looks like you'll get your wish that way, maybe not for yourself since you live in England but surely you're not to selfish to deny Scotland a better future?

outsidethebox
03-Jan-13, 15:13
If we are starting afresh then the first thing that needs to be done is define what rights the new "citizens" will have, really fundamental ones like the Americans defined all those years ago...

So a few ideas for a start

adequate housing for all
national infrastructure of roads, rails, power distribution owned and maintained on behalf of the people
wages paid at a level which will allow all workers to live in comfort

and in return

all adults that are able to work will work or participate in education of benefit to society

Flynn
03-Jan-13, 16:05
Put all MPs on the minimum wage. You'd see some pretty quick changes then.

golach
03-Jan-13, 17:17
So.... Do you support Scottish Independence, looks like you'll get your wish that way, maybe not for yourself since you live in England but surely you're not to selfish to deny Scotland a better future?

And when the Vote No wins, what then?

Kasper King
03-Jan-13, 17:21
The right to free speach, not this pc lefty rubbish.
The right to defend you home, property and family as you see fit.
Councilors who do not get paid (expenses, etc) but do it for the good of all.
Council and civil servant who work for the electorate not a political agenda.
Free health care.
Free care for the elderly, if they wish it.

Alrock
03-Jan-13, 17:31
And when the Vote No wins, what then?

More of the same I guess....
So... If you want change & what's on M Swanson's wish list then vote YES!

squidge
03-Jan-13, 17:56
Well Alrock thats what the article in the Scotsman said today - here it is again in case you missed it

http://www.scotsman.com/news/michael...sult-1-2715267 (http://www.scotsman.com/news/michael-kelly-confident-labour-to-decide-referendum-result-1-2715267)

With a No win little is going to change. Right here, right now you can see the kind of country we are going to be living in. No use kidding on that there is going to be some great dramatic change. Leave it to the separatists to paint a land of Middle Eastern wealth and World Cup triumphs. This is it. Most Scots are satisfied with the status quo

So are we? REgardless of whether we would vote yes or no.... Are we satisfied with the Status Quo?

Rheghead
03-Jan-13, 19:02
The right to free speach, not this pc lefty rubbish.

Free speech, yes I think we already have it, but if your idea of free speech includes language which is against racist or other public order laws then count me out. That isn't pc lefty rubbish, it is just common decency.