PDA

View Full Version : Blair's Legacy?

M Swanson
01-Jan-13, 17:22
Just to balance the books, I think it's only fair to look at the legacy that you believe Blair has left Britain. How well I remember that fateful day, in 1997, when this creature arrived at Downing Street to take office. Like him, it was a sham from the beginning. Remember the jubilant reception when he arrived? Awwwwww! :D All organised, of course, with the fawning saps being bussed-in from wherever they could be found. :roll: Anyway, here's a couple of suggestions for what I believe Blair will be remembered for:-

The ill-conceived invasion of Iraq and consequential war in Afghanistan, resulting in thousands of servicemen dead, or injured and tens of thousands civilians. The hoodwinking of Parliament and the people that Saddam had a nuclear capability, which it did not.

High taxes, low tax thresholds and distorted welfare policies which has resulted in an army of welfare dependents and a culture in which idleness often pays better than employment.

Over to you! Happy 2013. :cool:

Alrock
01-Jan-13, 17:32
What about Major's Legacy?

The one point I remember him for of the top of my head is The Child Support Agency which resulted in an army of welfare dependents and a culture in which idleness often pays better than employment.

M Swanson
01-Jan-13, 17:35

The one point I remember him for of the top of my head is The Child Support Agency which resulted in an army of welfare dependents and a culture in which idleness often pays better than employment.

Nope! That's another new thread header, Al. I've seen some topic's quickly trashed before, but this one's way ahead of the competition. What's ya game? ;)

Alrock
01-Jan-13, 17:47
....What's ya game? ;)

Well... You jumped straight from Thatcher to Blair totally missing out Major, are you saying that Major is just insignificant?

cptdodger
01-Jan-13, 17:47

Sorry, I have to disagree with you there - The CSA has been an unmitigated disaster since day one. When I went through a divorce in 1993 I was given no option but to deal with them, I was not allowed to go to court to obtain maintenance. Thankfully I had a full time job back then. At that point my "children" were 5 and 10 years old - this year, they will be 25 and 30 years old, and I am still dealing with these idiots. Despite always knowing where my ex husband lived and worked, I never received a penny until 2008. I am sick to the back teeth of these people. I was certainly never idle and as for being better off not being employed - you are having a laugh. And there are thousands in the same position as me.

M Swanson
01-Jan-13, 17:53
Well... You jumped straight from Thatcher to Blair totally missing out Major, are you saying that Major is just insignificant?

LOL. I didn't jump from anywhere Al. The initial post about Blair is legitimate. Perhaps you could start your own Major thread? Then those that want to can pile in about Kinnock! He was next on my list. :lol: Anyway, you've sucked in one already, so power to your elbow. :)

cptdodger
01-Jan-13, 18:00
:lol: Anyway, you've sucked in one already, so power to your elbow. :)

Apologies I had no idea you controlled the Org.

M Swanson
01-Jan-13, 18:03
Apologies I had no idea you controlled the Org.

I'd accept your apology, but none was necessary. I have no wish to control anything; haven't and I don't do nasty, but thanks anyway. :cool:

cptdodger
01-Jan-13, 18:08
. :lol: Anyway, you've sucked in one already, so power to your elbow. :) and I don't do nasty [/QUOTE]

Really ? You might want to reword your sentences then

Alrock
01-Jan-13, 18:10
.....The CSA has been an unmitigated disaster since day one.....
Have to agree with you there, that was the point I was trying to make.

....as for being better off not being employed - you are having a laugh.....
Nope, not having a laugh, I was one of those better off not being employed....

Back on topic now.... Blair's legacy.... Tax Credits, but how long until Cameron totally removes those?

M Swanson
01-Jan-13, 18:12
and I don't do nasty

Really ? You might want to reword your sentences then[/QUOTE]

Last words on this. Yes, I don't do nasty, but I do favour congenial chats, laughter as often as appropriate and in this case a statement of fact! It's always stood me in good stead. :D Now, any thoughts to add to the list on Blair's legacy? I'd be very interested! :cool:

cptdodger
01-Jan-13, 18:16
Have to agree with you there, that was the point I was trying to make.

Nope, not having a laugh, I was one of those better off not being employed....

Back on topic now.... Blair's legacy.... Tax Credits, but how long until Cameron totally removes those?

Fair enough, I certainly was'nt, not with two growing children and a mortgage to pay !

M Swanson
02-Jan-13, 14:52
No opposition so far, to my first two thoughts on Blair's legacy, so here's another. Plenty more where this comes from.

Blair's education policies has created a marked increase in illiteracy and innumeracy, which has resulted in a large number of the next generation being unemployable, or close to it. They deserved much better. :mad:

Alrock
02-Jan-13, 15:31
No opposition so far, to my first two thoughts on Blair's legacy, so here's another. Plenty more where this comes from.

The ill-conceived invasion of Iraq and consequential war in Afghanistan, resulting in thousands of servicemen dead, or injured and tens of thousands civilians. The hoodwinking of Parliament and the people that Saddam had a nuclear capability, which it did not.
Don't think many will argue with that.

High taxes, low tax thresholds and distorted welfare policies which has resulted in an army of welfare dependents and a culture in which idleness often pays better than employment.
OK, wasn't perfect but at least he had a welfare policy unlike this present Tory Government who only seems to have cuts in welfare in mind with no regard to the consequences of the cuts to those unfortunate enough to depend on welfare.

Blair's education policies has created a marked increase in illiteracy and innumeracy, which has resulted in a large number of the next generation being unemployable, or close to it. They deserved much better. :mad:
Care to expand on that, not overly familiar with Blair's education policy?
Isn't the main reason that a large number of the next generation being unemployable more to do with the lack of jobs out there for them?

cptdodger
02-Jan-13, 15:38

Both my children were at school when Blair was Prime Minister. The eldest left in 2001 and is now in management, my son left school in 2006, and is now studying at Dundee University. I made absolutely sure my children could read, write and count well before they left primary school. My grandson, who is 8, can also read, write and count. His parents have made sure of that. Regardless what education policies Blair or Thatcher or Major came out with, it is the responsibility of the parents or carers to ensure their children carry out their homework and study, and surely, it is down to the parents/carers to notice at the age of 16 whether or not their child can read, write or count, because if they have not, then that is their failing not the Government of the day.

Alrock
02-Jan-13, 15:59
Both my children were at school when Blair was Prime Minister. The eldest left in 2001 and is now in management, my son left school in 2006, and is now studying at Dundee University. I made absolutely sure my children could read, write and count well before they left primary school. My grandson, who is 8, can also read, write and count. His parents have made sure of that. Regardless what education policies Blair or Thatcher or Major came out with, it is the responsibility of the parents or carers to ensure their children carry out their homework and study, and surely, it is down to the parents/carers to notice at the age of 16 whether or not their child can read, write or count, because if they have not, then that is their failing not the Government of the day.

Besides, is education in Scotland not the responsibility of the Scottish Government so nobody up here in Caithness is really in a position to comment.

cptdodger
02-Jan-13, 16:05
My children were educated in Kent, my grandson - East Sussex.

Rheghead
02-Jan-13, 16:07
Ah Tony Blair, he was thrown into the deepend with the death of Princess Diana if I remeber rightly. Nice how he juggled the public and the Royal family.

I think the only thing that crushed his reputation was Iraq & Afghanistan but then the two main political parties in the UK are the tories and Labour and they both were in favor of his response so how did it became such a political ball and chain? Any other PM from the tories, Labour and perhaps the LibDems would have done exactly the same.

Blair seemed Churcillian on 9/11.

People also forget that he enjoyed a honeymoon with the press until 2003.

I think he did some great work in negotiations with Sinn Fein but I have to admit that it was John Major that started the peace process.

He reformed the house of Lords but there is much to be done there still.

Britain became richer multiculturally (I'm ignoring the politics of the word) under Blair, that brought some problems but it has made the UK a fairer (in terms of rights rather than wealth ) and more interesting place to live.

The introduction of the minimum wage was a good thing imo.

He stood up to the tanker drivers who threatened to cripple the country which showed he had balls like Margaret Thatcher.

I was very suspicious of Blair's secret faith with Roman Catholicism and how it may have affected his premiership, it was weak of him to convert officially within months of his resignation.

There must be more to credit him with but I sometimes think that his obsession with getting his 10 years in power made him a little bit of a primadonna and a smug one at that. He was much more photgenic than Gordon Brown and he handled people much better but you kinda get the impression that Gordy was the much nicer person when away from the cameras, well except in the case of that woman that is. :lol:

Alrock
02-Jan-13, 16:44

Forgot about that one... let's just hope that survives in tact & at a reasonable level with this Tory government as they try to prop up their failing economic ideas with more cuts burdened on the poor.

ducati
02-Jan-13, 17:19
Forgot about that one... let's just hope that survives in tact & at a reasonable level with this Tory government as they try to prop up their failing economic ideas with more cuts burdened on the poor.

Why on earth would the government want to cut the minimum wage? I'm afraid your mothers milk politics is a bit immature!

Blair should have set it higher, or not bothered. The problem is it is seen as the only wage by many employers. I don't know, but I suspect standard of living/s would now be higher without it.

Having set the minimum wage rate, Labour are on a bit of a sticky wicket criticising employers for paying it as they are doing now in promoting the 'living wage'.

Alrock
02-Jan-13, 17:28
Why on earth would the government want to cut the minimum wage?
Don't know, but nothing would surprise me with this Government.

Blair should have set it higher....
I'll agree with you on that one....

....or not bothered....
It's still better than not having it at all, many people would still be getting less than it is now if it wasn't there at all....

....but I suspect standard of living/s would now be higher without it.
Who's standard of living? Certainly not those who would be getting paid less without it. Maybe the employers (& the shareholders) who had less to outlay on wages.

M Swanson
02-Jan-13, 18:03
Ah Tony Blair, he was thrown into the deepend with the death of Princess Diana if I remeber rightly. Nice how he juggled the public and the Royal family.

I think the only thing that crushed his reputation was Iraq & Afghanistan but then the two main political parties in the UK are the tories and Labour and they both were in favor of his response so how did it became such a political ball and chain? Any other PM from the tories, Labour and perhaps the LibDems would have done exactly the same.

Blair seemed Churcillian on 9/11.

People also forget that he enjoyed a honeymoon with the press until 2003.

I think he did some great work in negotiations with Sinn Fein but I have to admit that it was John Major that started the peace process.

He reformed the house of Lords but there is much to be done there still.

Britain became richer multiculturally (I'm ignoring the politics of the word) under Blair, that brought some problems but it has made the UK a fairer (in terms of rights rather than wealth ) and more interesting place to live.

He stood up to the tanker drivers who threatened to cripple the country which showed he had balls like Margaret Thatcher.

I was very suspicious of Blair's secret faith with Roman Catholicism and how it may have affected his premiership, it was weak of him to convert officially within months of his resignation.

There must be more to credit him with but I sometimes think that his obsession with getting his 10 years in power made him a little bit of a primadonna and a smug one at that. He was much more photgenic than Gordon Brown and he handled people much better but you kinda get the impression that Gordy was the much nicer person when away from the cameras, well except in the case of that woman that is. :lol:

A few comments, if you please Rheg.

Blair wasn't thrown in the "deepend," with the Royal Family. He couldn't wait to dive in! As he's on record as stating - "Diana and I were both, in our way, manipulators" - i.e. good at grasping the feelings of others and using them to our own advantage. Yeap! I'd go along with that.

Can you provide a link to show that any political party, who knew the truth about Saddam's nuclear capacity, would have done things in exactly the way Blair did?

No idea what you mean by Blair seeming Churchillian on 9/11.

With you that John Major did most of the groundwork with Sinn Fein. He was just lucky to be around to close Major's deal!

As far as multiculture is concerned - I take it you've lived it and write from experience? Remember when Trevor Phillips, the chief of the CRE stated that it didn't work? Or perhaps Angela Merkel who said the same about Germany?

Blair didn't go far enough with the Minimum Wage and again, the TUC and Labour had been pushing for it long before he entered the scene. Another gift?

Ah! The Petrol Strike. I remember it well. Most of the country were behind the blockades, but the leaders made a fatal error. Blair asked them for two weeks to try and put a solution before them. They agreed and he responded by raising legislation forbidding the strike to continue. Crafty, huh?

"Prima Donna?" You bet Rheg. I've never forgiven that ham actor for ruining Corinthians1 ch 13 at Diana's funeral service. Still, to be fair he was better looking, than Brown - the insincerity of the creature shone through ever facial muscle. :D

M Swanson
02-Jan-13, 18:19
Oh! Yes! He reformed the House of Lords, all right! It's no longer composed of non-partisan experts. It's now a corporist (sic) entity, appointed by the PM and rubber-stamped by a committee appointed by ........ the government. :roll: Of course, Blair appointed his cronies, like Mandelson and Prescott and Cameron will continue to do the same. Meanwhile, the number of Lords increases. You couldn't make it up. Nice one Blair!

Rheghead
02-Jan-13, 18:44
Meanwhile, the number of Lords increases. You couldn't make it up. Nice one Blair!

oh the irony of it, tory leader David Cameron appointed 117 of his cronies to life peers in one year following his election victory.

M Swanson
02-Jan-13, 18:49
oh the irony of it, tory leader David Cameron appointed 117 of his cronies to life peers in one year following his election victory.

LOL. So you agree Rheg, Blair's cock-up is yet another of his legacies? I mean he did make the irrevocable change, didn't he? :lol:

Rheghead
02-Jan-13, 18:53
LOL. So you agree Rheg, Blair's cock-up is yet another of his legacies? I mean he did make the irrevocable change, didn't he? :lol:

Blair made the change but I see Cameron abusing his position as PM.

M Swanson
02-Jan-13, 19:00
Oh puleeeeze Rheg. Blair started the bandwagon rolling, jumped on it and when Cameron follows the leader, he's responsible for it all? Who made the "abuse," possible? It wasn't Cameron. Get away! :D

Alrock
02-Jan-13, 19:31
Oh puleeeeze Rheg. Blair started the bandwagon rolling, jumped on it and when Cameron follows the leader, he's responsible for it all? Who made the "abuse," possible? It wasn't Cameron. Get away! :D

Someone gives me some rope... I hang myself with it (please do I hear them screaming...lol).... Who is responsible for my death? Myself or the person who gave me the rope in good faith?

Oddquine
03-Jan-13, 02:48
Oh! Yes! He reformed the House of Lords, all right! It's no longer composed of non-partisan experts. It's now a corporist (sic) entity, appointed by the PM and rubber-stamped by a committee appointed by ........ the government. :roll: Of course, Blair appointed his cronies, like Mandelson and Prescott and Cameron will continue to do the same. Meanwhile, the number of Lords increases. You couldn't make it up. Nice one Blair!

To be fair, would we be any better off with an elected House of Lords elected solely on political lines and following the whip? The only thing our current system has going for it is that there are enough non-aligned members to actually do independent thinking. Not surprised our Government isn't keen on independent thinking and wants to consign that to the bin of unacceptability, though. When there are political appointees by political parties who tend to toe the party line....we should never forget that there are also Church of England Bishops and hereditary peers who don't always toe a party line....because no party has paid the election costs for them to be there.....or they haven 't paid a party to be there.

It is almost embarrassing to think that the sodding Lords have more idea of the impact of a lot of Government invented crap on joe punter than our elected representatives......but they do...but the problem is they can only postpone, not stop Government arseholeism completely.

M Swanson
03-Jan-13, 10:39
I agree, in part, OQ. But the changes made by Blair has done nothing to reform the HOL. There's now about a couple of hundred more Peers and it's become even more of a cash cow for political opportunists! Of course, it could be abolished and replaced with an English Parliament, I suppose. ;)

billmoseley
03-Jan-13, 11:23
Forgive me for putting my 2 penny worth in here but i have lived though both Thatcher and Blair my thoughts on the matter are that at the time that they both came to power Britain needed some one strong and to shake things up a little both did that. We may not like some of the stuff that was done but it had to be done. i'm not keen on Cameron but cuts had to be made and at least he has had the balls to make them and even Mr Milliband admits he wont reverse them.

squidge
03-Jan-13, 11:37
This is Blair's legacy

http://www.scotsman.com/news/michael-kelly-confident-labour-to-decide-referendum-result-1-2715267

A labour Party with no idea who they are, and who say

With a No win little is going to change. Right here, right now you can see the kind of country we are going to be living in. No use kidding on that there is going to be some great dramatic change. Leave it to the separatists to paint a land of Middle Eastern wealth and World Cup triumphs. This is it. Most Scots are satisfied with the status quo

So that's it. Now whether you would vote yes or no in a referendum - Whether there even IS a referendum is immaterial. We apparently have a labour party who say this is as good as it gets. That even if elected they couldn't change society and it sounds to me like they wouldnt even try. This article mentions that tackling poverty in Portsmouth is as important as tackling poverty in Glasgow and so it is but by saying this is IT, the society we have is the one we are stuck with and there is no point in trying or hoping for change then they ar3e saying that we cant tackle poverty or influence anything. Whether we remain in the UK or have an Independent Scotland we are saddled with a labour party which is so simliar to the conservatives that they have no conviction, no sense of a clear identity and no intention or hope of changing things for the better. THAT is Tony Blair's legacy and the country is poorer for it.

Rheghead
03-Jan-13, 14:36
We apparently have a labour party who say this is as good as it gets.

Perhaps they have a point? You can't make a silk purse out of an old pigs ear. But really, what improvements do you really want? You are just one person with your views, there is a whole rake of other people with their views and we all have to live together as best we can. Perhaps it is pragmatic of them to say this is as good as it gets, there is no point in promising a utopia which can never be delivered and it would be untruthful to promise it.

We see what happens in schools when the people in charge say they can promise continual improvement on exam results. We get easier exams and twisted statistics to cover up the lie. It is the same with politics, we get cheap gimmicks to make us feel better while they rob Paul to feed Peter.

I don't want our politics or politicians to be interesting or outspoken or to be good orators or anything. I want them to run this country on an even keel where success is rewarded but not at the expense of others. I want a fair days pay for a fair day's work, I don't want to get rich quick or anyone else for that matter. I want this country to be measured by the content of our minds and the health of our bodies, not by the wealth in our pockets.

squidge
03-Jan-13, 15:23
So its alright to say - there are loads of things which are wrong and which need to be changed but its too hard so we shouldnt expect them to bother trying?????

They serve society and they should want better for the next generation that our had. THAT should be the driving force of any politician. THAT is what I want. I accept that the changes I want to see made will not be the same as someone else's but it I expect politicians to have vision and be smart enough to make that vision a reality.

Rheghead
03-Jan-13, 15:43
So its alright to say - there are loads of things which are wrong and which need to be changed but its too hard so we shouldnt expect them to bother trying?????

No, there are loads of things that are right and satisfactory, it is not perfect but there is no need to upset the applecart for a shallow promise of Utopia that we all know cant't be delivered, so don't kid us along.

squidge
03-Jan-13, 16:03
yes there are things that are satisfactory but is that good enough? It isnt good enough for me Rheghead and its not good enough for my children. I dont ask for utopia and you are right - what I want isnt the point. Other people will want different things - the most important thing is that POLITICIANS - the people that we pay to run things strive to be the best they can be and to grow and develop a society that is the best it can be. Sitting back and saying - nah thats it we cant do any better is a dereliction of the duty they have to the electorate.

Flynn
03-Jan-13, 16:04
Put all MPs on the minimum wage. You'd see some pretty quick changes then.

clash67
03-Jan-13, 17:48

Got to say that I agree with everything you have said so far, why Blair and co aren't locked up just goes to show that the judiciary system is also corrupt.
For those who are better off than most financially I say this, we as a country are in BIG trouble, corruption is rife and a war on the poor and vunerable has been declared. Won't be long before we see more riots and then that despicable bunch in westminster will be condeming the rioters and push for ridiculous sentencing as we saw with the last rioters and the courts will oblige of course.
If you are a millionaire right now you are "one of the boys" and safe..for now, if you are a billionaire you can buy safety from having any "irregularities" in your tax obligations, if you are a trillionaire you are safe n' sound but if you are skint...well your up a certain creek without a paddle.

M Swanson
03-Jan-13, 18:17
Another major problem that has been created by Blair, is how he changed the identity of the Labour Party. My father was a dyed-in-the-wool Socialist and he must be spinning in his grave to see how far right, that "straight kinda guy," shifted policies. Cameron turned away from Tory principles and met up with Blair, somewhere in the middle. The Lib/Dems remain constant, the all things to all people party and about as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot. People no longer think voting is worth the effort and can we blame them? Nice one Blair & Co. I'm sure you'll be remembered for selling your party out. And punished, I hope.

Retread
04-Jan-13, 23:50
Blair's Legacy ??, how about a self serving waste of oxygen. This was a man who arrived in Downing Street and quickly started re-arranging the social make up of our country for his own political end. A man who allowed uncontrolled immigration to prove a point. A man who took us into a "war on terror" shortly after he crawled head first into the lower colon of scum like Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness (AKA Agent Steak-Knife) to appease them. A man who set quite a few convicted terroists free under the guise of the Good Friday Agreement, apparently they dont count though under his "new evil" description of terrorism after the Twin Towers fell. This was done shortly after the ROE for those in unifrom was changed from "If you follow these rules the Government will back you" to "You can act how you please but be prepared to defend yourself in court". Shocker. A man whose introduction of the European Human Rights Act put a huge wad of cash in the pocket of his barrister crazy frog mouthed partner and who has ensured his freeloading sprogs have made their packet in the US through various internships with companies like Morgan Stanley.

In the meantime the next in line to the throne is serving as a SAR pilot while his brother puts his neck on the line in the war Blair started in the front cockpit of an Apache while the offspring of Blair's over productive gonads milk their dads connections. I never really cared for the likes of Margaret Thatcher. I have never really being political to be honest but in my time serving this country I never met anyone who fought in the Falkland's who regretted it. Those people were, are and want to be British and there can be no greater cause than fighting for those who want to be. But Blair stood on one side and set free the scum who would happily kill those who he sent to do his bidding in Iraq and Afghanistan. He went to the funeral of Ken Bigley, a civilian whose stupidity got him killed while never once standing by the coffin of someone he sent into harms way and their death. Then again, he liked to milk the publicity breast didn't he ?? .. Blair ??, I lost a greater presence the last time I had a bowel movement. If I was ever put into a room with Blair I would be leaving in handcuffs. And with a smile on my face. I have no love for the Tories but look at the successor Blair left, a man who has stayed out of the house while claiming his salary for it. Socialists ??, seems they soon develop a love for capitalism when they get a taste.

Blair's Legacy is maybe this .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACA8wJ6dRWM .. People whose boots he isn't fit to lick.

secrets in symmetry
05-Jan-13, 00:34
As I said last time... Welcome back Retread. Do you hold the record for the number of reincarnations on this forum? :cool:

Kenn
05-Jan-13, 01:45
There is one simple legacy, he took us into a war that there are still questions about the legitimacy of.
He needs to account for every life that was lost in Iraq and for the fact that the government of the time and the subsequent one thinks it's has carte blanche to interfere in the affairs of another state.
He was responsible along with George Bush for making the world alot less safer place to live.

Trajan
05-Jan-13, 03:36
tory blairs legacy- a war criminal simples, when 4 english blokes from leeds decide to blow up a tube station or a bunch of nutters from saudi arabia decide to fly a couple of planes into 2 skyscapers, yip that sounds like a good idea to invade iraq, not, i could understand if they decided to invade pakistan as these terrorist or freedom fighters depending on your point of view were all trained there,but pakistan has nuclear weapons mmm nuf said me thinks
sounds like the school bully, go pick on the little one they are much easier and there pockets are fill off black gold.

M Swanson
05-Jan-13, 10:29
Retread ...... you're the man! :cool:

M Swanson
05-Jan-13, 10:39
As I said last time... Welcome back Retread. Do you hold the record for the number of reincarnations on this forum? :cool:

:lol: Coming from you SiS, that is sooooooo funny! :lol:

ywindythesecond
07-Jan-13, 03:01

:lol:

How about Kyoto and the mess we are now in?

ywindythesecond
07-Jan-13, 03:11
SiS "As I said last time... Welcome back Retread. Do you hold the record for the number of reincarnations on this forum? :cool:" Haven't seen Retread before but I wish I had written what he did.

SiS, just to save me looking them up, when were Retreads previous incarnations on this Forum?

annemarie482
07-Jan-13, 03:49
Forgive me for putting my 2 penny worth in here but i have lived though both Thatcher and Blair my thoughts on the matter are that at the time that they both came to power Britain needed some one strong and to shake things up a little both did that. We may not like some of the stuff that was done but it had to be done. i'm not keen on Cameron but cuts had to be made and at least he has had the balls to make them and even Mr Milliband admits he wont reverse them.

Agreed! :)
Changes needed/need to be made, the changes were never going to be liked, but whoever got in was going to have to make them and be hated for it.

M Swanson
07-Jan-13, 09:19
If there's one thing I've learned since joining the Org, it's that there are probably parts of Britain where the awful reality of Blair's destructiveness hasn't yet reached. At least on a day-to-day living basis. It will come and your lives will change forever more, imo.

Rheghead
07-Jan-13, 17:02
How about Kyoto and the mess we are now in?

Kyoto did not go far enough.

M Swanson
12-Jan-13, 10:52
This is my quote of the day, from Ian Birrell. It only says a little about this Blair creature, but is spot-on.

‘We need philanthropy to lessen hostility towards the rich,’ Blair warned them. Heartfelt words for a man said to have raked in nearly £20 million last year, big chunks of it by delivering platitudes dressed up as profundities to gullible global paymasters.

It was the sort of event the former Labour leader seems to love: a private jet to take him there, a £3,000-a-night hotel suite, and networking with the super-rich. Yet his sanctimonious speech was little more than hypocritical hogwash coming from a man who, to my mind, has turned amorality into an art form.

For all his honeyed words about serving humanity, this is a man who used his contacts book from Downing Street to launch a lucrative career advising absolute monarchs, wealthy bankers and despots.'

To that I'd add, that he has also turned hypocrisy into an art form. Grrrr!