PDA

View Full Version : More cooks.....

squidge
01-Jan-13, 17:04
Well its the end of the festive season. Following on from rheg's thread about cooks, where have the some of the recipes that you cooked this holiday season come from.....

I have cooked Delia..... Squidgey chocolate log amongst other things
Nigel Slater ....Breakfast hash
Woman and Home Magazine .... Celery and leek gratin and white chocolate truffle tart
1969Cordon Bleu Magazine Collection (that used to be my mums)..... Leg of Lamb in Bbq sauce.
Raymond Blanc .... Game Pie

annemarie482
01-Jan-13, 17:45
Most mine come from my head lol

M Swanson
01-Jan-13, 17:48
I have cooked Dadie's Cullen Skink and disappointed a few family members for my troubles! Not your fault D. I must try harder. :lol:

Rheghead
01-Jan-13, 18:24
Pancetta & Date rolls - Nigel Slater (12 tastes of Xmas)

Bearnaise sauce - Michel Roux (Sauces)

Winter fruits in Elderflower jelly - BBC Food website

Spicy Parsnip soup - Colin Spencer, (Cordon Vert) (my favorite soup)

Rheghead
02-Jan-13, 22:21
I've been clearing out some stuff and came across a recipe book which I found on a tip about 30 years ago. The Practical Daily Menu by C.B. Peacock (1933). It is a fantastic thing to read and it gives 365 suggestions for Breakfast dinner and supper. It has everything from boiled sheeps head broth to apple pie.

Would anyone tackle a sheep's head broth nowadays? :eek: On the Great British food revival, one guy was trying to persuade us that offal should be back on the menu. I'm not a vegetarian but I enjoy it. I'm keen for my food to be more sustainable which should mean there must be less waste, so in a way, it makes sense that offal should be eaten. I found it a shocking statistic that butchers throw away over a third of every animal that passes through an abbatoir, just because we won't eat it.

It would be great if I could source and cook a sheep's head? :eek:

squidge
02-Jan-13, 22:51
We talked about doing it at a show. I do a food presentation and we often cook something from an authentic medieval recipe. A sheeps head boiling in the pot over the fire would look fantastic. Our vegetarians werent keen tho. We have even had difficulty getting rabbits and getting them with the skin on is impossible if you dont shoot them yourself which i dont. Hmmmm maybe give the sheeps head thing another think.

Rheghead
02-Jan-13, 23:28
squidge, I've just realised that this book of mine is actually written & published in Scotland for the Scottish housewife. It contains heaps of seasonal recipes with ingredients that are traditionally sourced in Scotland. Basically, it is a genuine Scottish recipe book that isn't trying to be Scottish if you can understand that.:D

golach
02-Jan-13, 23:31
squidge, I've just realised that this book of mine is actually written & published in Scotland for the Scottish housewife. It contains heaps of seasonal recipes with ingredients that are traditionally sourced in Scotland. Basically, it is a genuine Scottish recipe book that isn't trying to be Scottish if you can understand that.:D

Ma Broons cookbook by any chance Rheg?

http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk/

squidge
02-Jan-13, 23:40
Old cookbooks are a source of endless fascination lol. I love the offers in the cordon bleue magazines and the 60s photography. Maybe you could share the sheeps head broth recipe.

Moira
03-Jan-13, 00:19
....... <snip>

On the Great British food revival, one guy was trying to persuade us that offal should be back on the menu. I'm not a vegetarian but I enjoy it. I'm keen for my food to be more sustainable which should mean there must be less waste, so in a way, it makes sense that offal should be eaten. I found it a shocking statistic that butchers throw away over a third of every animal that passes through an abbatoir, just because we won't eat it.

It would be great if I could source and cook a sheep's head?

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall would be your man for truly "offall" recipes, written especially for vegetarians....

Have you tried all the local butcher shops in order to source a sheep's head? If so, what was their excuse for non-supply?

George Brims
03-Jan-13, 18:21
I have cooked Dadie's Cullen Skink and disappointed a few family members for my troubles! Not your fault D. I must try harder. :lol:
I love Cullen Skink. If only I could get any of our UK visitors to smuggle in some smoked haddie!

M Swanson
03-Jan-13, 18:38
Actually George, I had a few problems trying to buy the haddock, even though I live by the sea. I was surprised at how dear it was, too. I'm going to give making Skink another try. If you weren't so far away I'd lay a place at the table for you. :)

sassylass
03-Jan-13, 20:36
For Christmas dinner, I used Julia Child's recipe for boeuf bourguignon and a restaurant's recipe for Sticky Toffee Pudding. There's a reason they're professionals.