PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone on here use FL Studio XXL 6.0

Jeemag_USA
25-Dec-06, 22:50
I thought i may as well ask as I have tried on several different music forums to find help. I am using the music mixing software FL (FruityLoops) Studio XXL 6.0 to record my music but I am having problems.

The problem relates to recording individual inputs like my guitar on top of drums, I have read the manual and tried everything, but no matter what I do every time I record a new input, it records it ok but also adds the drums that are already done on top of it, like its bouncing it down but I am not asking it to, then if I record bass after that, it recordsa the drums and guitar again with it and I can't seem to stop it, I end up with the drums three times, guitar twice and bass, which makes seperating levels and applying effects very difficult.

If nobody knows what the heck I am talking about then ignore this and let it slip down. Hopefully though someone out there has used this software before?

Thanks ;)

Deemac
26-Dec-06, 02:04
Jeemag,
Not familiar with your software (though I think I've heard of fruityloops in the dim and distant past), but it sounds as if you have an internal routing issue. What I/O's are you using?

Do you know how many individual inputs you can record at once? It sounds as if your OD input is being routed with your monitor outs when recording.

I'd suggest checking your interfaces in's and out's routing first.

Jeemag_USA
26-Dec-06, 03:11
Jeemag,
Not familiar with your software (though I think I've heard of fruityloops in the dim and distant past), but it sounds as if you have an internal routing issue. What I/O's are you using?

Do you know how many individual inputs you can record at once? It sounds as if your OD input is being routed with your monitor outs when recording.

I'd suggest checking your interfaces in's and out's routing first.

Thanks Dunc for answering, I have now found the answer, believe it or not I found the answer in an advertisment for the product and not in their lousy manual. Although being one of the bst mixer/multitracking pieces of software you can buy (FL Studio XXL 6.0) it unfortunately only has the ability to record an instrument along with the the master track, which is a bit of a downfall, but FL Studio has always been pretty much for using with its preset sounds anyway.

I have discovered a solution by building my drum and synth tracks on FL Studio and then saving the whole levelled arrangement as an mp3 and loading it as a single track into Cakewalk Music Creator Pro. Then I can record individual instruments on up to 24 tracks, each one can be saved as an individual file and I can then transport everything back into FL Studio to do the final production. Works out pretty good because I like some of the features of both programs.

If you can get a copy of the latest version of FL Studio I highly recommend it, once you learn how to use all its features it is so much fun.

Thanks for taking an interest, I'll let you hear the end result of what I am doing.

Jim

Deemac
26-Dec-06, 13:13
Jeemag,
I use a Protools system for all my musical needs (Now on version 7.3). Professional package with price tag to match.

Visit: www.studiograff.co.uk (http://www.studiograff.co.uk) for a look at my set-up if you like. (Audio Section).

Glad you resolved your problems. I used to use Calkwalk before switching to Protools. It has a great sequencer.

Jeemag_USA
26-Dec-06, 15:55
Thanks Dee I'll take a look, I have since yesterday had a PM from someone at the Soundclicks forum telling me that FL Studio is a 64 track multitrack recorder and that I must be doing something wrong, so I am going to try again because since I have used FL STudio I just can't switch to anything else, its so cool.

I think I have a version of Pro Tools 7.0 somewhere, my cousin Damon is into production doing R&B stuff and he gets all sorts of software and he gave me his copy, I think I tried it and it was so much different to what I was used to I took it off my PC, but I'll take a look again.

Also I found somehting interesting last night, for anyone out there interested in multitracking and recording on their PC there is some free software available on the internet called Audacity, I read about it on a lot of forums and it come highly recommended for people wishing to record inputs through their PC such as vocals and guitars. You can blag a free copy at this link.... http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ I downloaded it last night and it is very easy to use. I would recommend downloading the stable version for now and not the new beta trial version.

Jeemag_USA
26-Dec-06, 16:00
Jeemag,
I use a Protools system for all my musical needs (Now on version 7.3). Professional package with price tag to match.

Visit: www.studiograff.co.uk (http://www.studiograff.co.uk) for a look at my set-up if you like. (Audio Section).

Glad you resolved your problems. I used to use Calkwalk before switching to Protools. It has a great sequencer.

I tell you what that is some awesome set up you have D, I could eat, drink and sleep in their and never come out again :cool:

I would show you where i do my recording but i'd need to pick up all the dirty dishes and smelly socks first :lol:

Deemac
27-Dec-06, 01:06
Jeemag,
As your probably aware this is where the Howlin' Gaels produced their last album in. Its a cosy little space (Though I have expansion plans in the pipe line already!!) Above all looks are not everything (though it tends to get the punters in) What you use and how you use it are above all the eye candy.

Audacity I've come across before. Like 'Picasa' for image viewing (do a google on this for the best kept secret that blows away Adobe's Bridge), Audacity is great for the budget aware.

Unfortunetly the great corporate lure of companies like Digidesign and Adobe tend to dominate in their respective fields. I'm a Coreldraw man myself!! (I'm having REAL problems with the workflow of Adobe's Production Studio just now - Can they be serious?!!)

Digidesign is the ONLY choice (musically) where professional, client aware decisions are based. (Though in Caithness this isn't a major factor) It is very good though, and with the hardware linking capabilities, is a big step up from the likes of Sonar (Cakewalk) etc.

Above all though, your results are paramount. What works for you is the key.

My most productive musical output was from a rig based on an Ensoniq ESQ1 keyborad with built in 8 track sequencer (it was only 8 note polyphonic anyway!!) MIDI linked to a Simmons SDS9 sound module. Tracks just poured out . . . . . . Now it takes me longer just to fire up all the kit and sort out templates and routings!! . . . . . . . :confused

Send a link with your efforts when you can. Its always good to hear what others are up to.

Jeemag_USA
27-Dec-06, 03:21
Jeemag,
As your probably aware this is where the Howlin' Gaels produced their last album in. Its a cosy little space (Though I have expansion plans in the pipe line already!!) Above all looks are not everything (though it tends to get the punters in) What you use and how you use it are above all the eye candy.

Audacity I've come across before. Like 'Picasa' for image viewing (do a google on this for the best kept secret that blows away Adobe's Bridge), Audacity is great for the budget aware.

Unfortunetly the great corporate lure of companies like Digidesign and Adobe tend to dominate in their respective fields. I'm a Coreldraw man myself!! (I'm having REAL problems with the workflow of Adobe's Production Studio just now - Can they be serious?!!)

Digidesign is the ONLY choice (musically) where professional, client aware decisions are based. (Though in Caithness this isn't a major factor) It is very good though, and with the hardware linking capabilities, is a big step up from the likes of Sonar (Cakewalk) etc.

Above all though, your results are paramount. What works for you is the key.

My most productive musical output was from a rig based on an Ensoniq ESQ1 keyborad with built in 8 track sequencer (it was only 8 note polyphonic anyway!!) MIDI linked to a Simmons SDS9 sound module. Tracks just poured out . . . . . . Now it takes me longer just to fire up all the kit and sort out templates and routings!! . . . . . . . :confused

Send a link with your efforts when you can. Its always good to hear what others are up to.

I totally agree with you Dee, all I use is my Dell PC, I have three hard drives that I use for different storage. For sampling my own guitars and other instruments I use Sony's Sound Forge which I really like, I can take a riff and bend it shape it whatever and save it to WAV. I can then store those in packs in FL Studio and use them in sequencing. I have done a lot of messing around with sampled and sequenced music but at the end of the day I always prefer the real thing so have tooken to now using FL Studio's 64 Track ability for live recording (now that I have figured out how to do it). I use my M-Audio USB MIdi interface which has one insturment input and one mic input and takes the place of my sound card for all my live stuff and along with my preamps and effects pedals that all I got. All this fits in a 3 foot square in the corner of my practice room but I can get really professional sounding results just by using my ear and taking my time, you know tweaking and farting around and trying different stuff. So it is all about how you use what you got and not how much you got. But cool surroundings do help with creativity a little, I got to kick my dog out of the room before I record vocals because he starts snoring and farting and its a ten foot square room :lol: